Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ MattF

or anyone else with any ideas or imput,
    Hi matt, hope you dont mind me asking a lot of what you might think of as daft questions, not sure where to start but i'll explain what i'm doing and what i'd like to happen and take it from there,

I'll soon be fitting the coolant fans, four in total, two mounted in front of the original rad (one original and another i got from ebay) and two (AC fans) fitted above the second rad, underneath, i would like them all to come on at the same time, and idealy run on after the ign has been turned off, i've got the drawing you did but the more i look at it the more confused i get,
    would i be better off forgetting the original harness wireing and starting from scratch? (but still be able to use the corolla sensor switch), any help/advice would be much apprecieated, thers no big rush as i aint fitted the fans yet and i'm back and forth to the hospital this week and i know your busy,
    i'm still running the viscious fan BTW, the above 's all back up,

Cheers Ian
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Start from scratch with the wiring. You won't get the control you want if you try to connect into the existing setup. I'd also suggest just putting one fan in front of the main rad. You will kill the airflow dramatically if you pop a second one in front.

I'll try and number the connections up on that diagram, to make following it a tad easier. Also, wire the fans in parallel, not series. I.e: connect all fan positives together and fan negs together and run the pos/neg switched feeds to those.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      Start from scratch with the wiring. You won't get the control you want if you try to connect into the existing setup. I'd also suggest just putting one fan in front of the main rad. You will kill the airflow dramatically if you pop a second one in front.

I'll try and number the connections up on that diagram, to make following it a tad easier. Also, wire the fans in parallel, not series. I.e: connect all fan positives together and fan negs together and run the pos/neg switched feeds to those.
      Cheer's Matt, will do, i take it i will req a relay on these, dont know what current draw is involved but i guess the relay will take the danger out,
      i've had the second front fan in position to drill mounting holes and the flow would seem ok as far as i can see, i did have it pretty well blocked off with the six spotties i had on there, and the temp was the same (roughly)as it was before i fitted em, i was thinking of loosing the two bottom spots which would increase the flow to the lower half of the rad so i think will be ok, i'll try the two, i can always remove one if its a problem, thanks again mate,

Comment

You're gonna need a beefy relay, or preferably two, to cope with the fans. Running current could be anything between around 10A to 25A per fan. Initial current draw will be substantially higher. I've a 30A fuse inline for just one fan, so that should give a fair indication. Checked against the Vauxhall specs when I built it, (with it being a GM fan and shroud), and their fuses on the fan circuit are usually 30A to 45A, dependant on model. If you check the fusebox for the AC fans, that'll give you an indicator what current to spec the cable for.

Comment

Cheer's mate, i have'nt had time to even look at the truck today, just got in from a day working for an indian couple, christ they like to get a day out of you, originally had to replace two rads which turned into five and a mixer tap, as i was leaveing a cop car scrached to a halt outside, i thought they were gonna haul em in and me along with em but they got the wrong house thank christ,
          I'll check the ac fuse ect tomorrow and wire accordingly, i have some 3mm cable that should do the job, and i'll fit two relays as you suggest, i'll see what veh wireing have to offer, thanks again matt, i owe ya a beer or six

Comment

3mm should be fine for the individual fan feeds, but 5mm or 6mm would be best for the relay supply. Leaves room for caution then.

The Indians are sods for that aren't they. Used to try it with me 'til they realised I could out haggle 'em.

Comment

Right! checked the rad fan fuse and it's marked 20amp, so if i run the feeds through seperate fuses for each fan and make em 20amp each should be OK ya think, i got the second fan fixed today and extended the wireing (3mm) up into the engine bay, not sure where i gonna fit the relay's etc yet, i'm fast running out of room, i also checked the polarity and it's the blue wire to pos to get em to run correctly to push air into the rad, be quite a racket when their both running, think i got some heavy cable for connecting the 3mm's to,

Comment

Looking good. Is the nearside fan that one you got from E-blag? I mounted the relays up above the nearside wheel, between the air filter hosuing and the firewall. The pics of it are up with the others. Bit of angle iron and you're sorted for the relay mounting. Yeah, give 'em all an inline 20A, (needs to be slow blow/anti-surge type fuse), and that should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                  Right! checked the rad fan fuse and it's marked 20amp, so if i run the feeds through seperate fuses for each fan and make em 20amp each should be OK ya think, i got the second fan fixed today and extended the wireing (3mm) up into the engine bay, not sure where i gonna fit the relay's etc yet, i'm fast running out of room, i also checked the polarity and it's the blue wire to pos to get em to run correctly to push air into the rad, be quite a racket when their both running, think i got some heavy cable for connecting the 3mm's to,
                  Looks like THOMAS the TANK ENGINE now
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                  (")_(")

Comment

Yup the nearside, i had to cut the rear part of the shroud off so it'd fit and make a small bracket for one of the lower mounts but it's nice and secure and no viabration, those things shift some air!! also fitted the grill just after that pic and it cleares the extra fan ok, did away with those stupid chinese puzzel clips as well, used four bolts with a bit of hacking away at the plastic mounts, now for the ac fans that vince kindly sent me,

Cheers Marky, i could do with a tommy tank

Comment

i could do with a tommy tank
                      Is it just my weird mind at work again, or does that sound somewhat........

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        Is it just my weird mind at work again, or does that sound somewhat........
                        Hah ha ha ha I just saw the post an he need some assistance
                        How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Some assistance or sit on my right hand for 30 minuits

Comment

Some assistance or sit on my right hand for 30 minuits

Comment

Wow Mate, I am green with envy, fantastic looking.
                              Oh Why? Why always Me?

Comment

Working...
                              X