Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Advice Please

Hi all

Just installed a new head unit the other day, install went smooth thanks to the great guides and advice already posted. Question i have is should i change the back speakers for 6x9's or fit a sub?

I'll explain my existing setup. Aiwa head unit 4x45w running the front speakers (Pioneers, not sure which ones exactly) and the back ones (presumably running off the built in amps, haven't had the panels off to check yet), tweeters above the rear door not working. Everthing works fine, rear speakers work on CD, have to press TA obviously. Anyone know how to avoid the travel announcements popping up in the middle of your favourite CD or do you just have to keep flicking back?

I have an amplifier and 6x9 speakers which came out of my old car and i figured i'd use in my surf.
    Question is do i replace the back speakers with the 6x9's directly, running off the built in amp?
    Replace the back speakers but use my amp to run them, could then possibly mount them somewhere else and use them as well as the existing rear speakers?
    Use the amp to power a sub and ditch the 6x9's

Was thinking about an under seat sub unit like the Alpine 1600, anyone use one? know if they're any good? Didn't want to do a sub box in the back as i use the load space for work stuff.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated if that lot made any sense to you

Many thanks
    Lifes a beach, so lets surf!

i think you'll find that the surf has a built in amp at the rear end in the roof liner i think it is by the top of the tail gate but a few peeps fit new amps etc for that better sound
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Hi,

Check to see if your head unit has an 'amp remote' lead. If it does swap it with the electric ariel out lead to make your rear amp work all the time. Problem is that your ariel will be up whenever the stereo is switched on - I reckon thats less of a problem than the traffic alerts disturbing you every 15mins or so.

Re: 6x9's. I reckon they'd sound better than the rear speakers, and with your power amp even better. A dedicated sub would be even better still but as you've stated eats into cabin space.

Maybe look for a sub that likes a small box and has a small mounting depth, and try and flush it into the rear side panels like the jbl synthesis system did. I believe a few people have done that on the US forums.

I have no experience of the underseat style subs, but their smaller cone size and small box volume will make them less effective than a 'regular' sub set up, cost for cost.

Rob.

Comment

Thanks Wishbone

Do you think i could run the 6x9's off the built in amps?

I've read elsewhere that the standard speakers are 2ohms, i was wondering about hooking up the 4ohm 6x9's and maybe some tweeters (into the trim above the rear door) from the existing amps, will this work?

Comment

Hello mate, Im not 100% sure the alpine woofer fits under the seat to be honest with you. In fact im almost certain it wont! Sorry to burst that bubble but if it helps you deciede!

Comment

The 6x9's should be fine on the toyota amp. Probably not get the most out of them. My opinion on the tweets - really not worth the bother, treble should really come from in front of you if possible.

My personal opinion - if you gave me a surf, a pair of 6x9's , a stereo amp and the stock speakers and asked me to get the best out of what is there, I'd mount the 6x9's in the front doors running off the amp and disconnect all the stock speakers.
            Maybe leave the rears in to give a little 'fill'.

Would need a little fabrication to make them fit the doors though.

Cheers,
            Rob.

Comment

I will be removing all the standard speakers and amps.
              I have a 12 inch sub in the cargo area. A mate of mine, www.audiosport.co.uk, is making me some door pods for a 6 n half inch speaker and tweeter for both front doors and 2x 6x9 pods for the cargo area. My sony head unit has a sub out, so i will run my sub straight off that, then ill get an amp for the 6x9's and an amp and 2 crossovers for the front door pods.

Comment

That's Better!

Thanks for the advice guys i've just finished installing the 6x9's in the back.

I removed the Toyota speakers, amps and boxes and replaced with a 6x9 on each side running off my power amp in one of the storage pockets, just like codlord. Big thanks to him the pix on his site very useful.

Rod was right, the Alpine 1600 sub didn't fit under the seat, i might look at a different low profile sub option later to fit above the wheel arches but Halfrauds quoted about £200 quid for cone and box - maybe later!

Comment

check out www.caraudiosecurity.com

amazing site mate! loads and loads of cheaper options! and to be honest there cheap stuff is halfords mega bucks stuff!! You can get a a top of the range ish sub for £200! the stuff halfords want £200 for is the stuff that website sells for £30!

good luck in getting it all sorted mate! Its great when it all comes together and you got your fav tunes on the go!!

Bit of inflames for me!!

Comment

I've used caraudiosecurity before - they have some great deals.
                    Another good'n is www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

Dunno how good they sound, but the original Infinity Basslinks can be had pretty cheap on ebay. I'm pretty sure they're small enough to fit one on top of each wheel arch. They're powered too so no need to buy more amps. I'm considering one for my wifes car.

Cheers,
                    Rob.

pic:

Comment

Thanks guys

The £200 was for a low profile sub and box, it was only 130mm deep

Sure i can get better price elsewhere, no rush now, the 6x9's sound nice!!!

Will look around and see whats on offer

Comment

Originally posted by chaiwalla
                        Thanks guys

The £200 was for a low profile sub and box, it was only 130mm deep

Sure i can get better price elsewhere, no rush now, the 6x9's sound nice!!!

Will look around and see whats on offer

I would recommend some dynomat or similar! Ive got some pretty expensive speaker units bodged into my truck... i mean professionally carried out to a very high standard! and They sound f**king awesome! Really do! BUT!! The whole truck rattles like a tw*t! Im planning on running all 4 speakers+tweeters off a amp and then having a sub and im gunna plate the whole damn thing with dynomat!(or similar)

Comment

Cheaper than the branded stuff, and nice to work with :

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/d...t=&prodid=2655

Have used on one of my rear doors so far and has gone from a 'clang' to a nice deep 'duff' when I close it.

Will probably use dynomat extreme on the front doors where the speakers are, and this budget stuff for the floors, roof , etc..

Rob.

Comment

there is another product on teh market called brown bread just as good as dyno mat but alot less money
                            !!!My Rice Krispies told me to do it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drcrippen324
                              there is another product on teh market called brown bread just as good as dyno mat but alot less money

I've used stick on roof flashing tape in a Mini , it works and is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X