Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire led's

I`m looking for some advice.

I want to install about 10 led bulbs to a switch on the dash I have some white led’s in holders with the resistor built in. I also have an illuminated rocker switch with three connection terminals on the rear.

The front spots are wired to a switch close by they only work when the side lights are on and the switch is on. I would like the led’s to work in the same way. could I just run a spur off the spot’s for the side light connection and the earth then with the third connection run that to the led’s. then just run an earth to the black on each led.

Do I need to install a fuse anywhere if so what amp should it be? And last of all how should the 3 terminals be wired on the switch?

I had a little go today I’m no expert on auto wiring and ended up blowing the 20amp fuse on the side lights!!!

Originally posted by hiroler
    I`m looking for some advice.

I want to install about 10 led bulbs to a switch on the dash I have some white led’s in holders with the resistor built in. I also have an illuminated rocker switch with three connection terminals on the rear.

The front spots are wired to a switch close by they only work when the side lights are on and the switch is on. I would like the led’s to work in the same way. could I just run a spur off the spot’s for the side light connection and the earth then with the third connection run that to the led’s. then just run an earth to the black on each led.

Do I need to install a fuse anywhere if so what amp should it be? And last of all how should the 3 terminals be wired on the switch?

I had a little go today I’m no expert on auto wiring and ended up blowing the 20amp fuse on the side lights!!!
    Hi,

I don't want to sound picky but spotlights running off side lights? You may get different opinions on this but, surely they should either be on a completely separate fused supply or, if these spots are in fact foglights they should be wired up in such a way that they can only illuminate in conjunction with your headlights. (Legal requirement.)

As for the leds, I'm currently fitting various leds myself and I've found it always better to run a separate power cable and ground with an easy accessible in-line fuse. What rating of fuse depends on your leds of course as they are not all the same. I suggest you try a 5 amp to start. A bit trial and error.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY
      I suggest you try a 5 amp to start. A bit trial and error.
      Erm, no. You could run a hundred LED's and will never come anywhere near that current. It's not trial and error. Calculate the current requirements.

Comment

With regards to those LED's, just connect all the reds together, and all the blacks together, and supply them with a ground and +V respectively. If the resistors are builtin, nowt else is needed. You can take the supply for them, via an appropriate inline fuse, from the far side of the spots relay if you only want them illuminated when the spots are on.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
          Erm, no. You could run a hundred LED's and will never come anywhere near that current. It's not trial and error. Calculate the current requirements.
          My appologies. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that the main cause for concern is in using the correct wire rating, especially if someone is thinking of piggy backing. Don't want the system being overloaded and cause a fire do we?

The amp rating I suggested for the fuse was offered to me by an led manufacturer so assumed they know what they're talking about. I also suggested trial & error as most of us lack the knowledge to work out the maths. i.e. Start at 5 amps and work down until the fuse pops, then go back up one. A bit Heath Robinson I know but it does at a push.

If you know the calculation for working out current requirements MattF, please tell us so we can all learn and retire Mr Robinson.

My comments were not intended to mislead anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by TOYOTATONY
            If you know the calculation for working out current requirements MattF, please tell us so we can all learn and retire Mr Robinson.

My comments were not intended to mislead anyone.
            Never thought they were. However, if you try trial and error, it's better to start low and work up rather than vice versa. That way, if you have a fault, you have less chance of damaging something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

Comment

I'm running all my dash leds (around 150) on a glass 2.5 amp fuse, no problems, i took a feed for the spots relays from under the columb shroud, use a test light to find the high beam feed and piggy back a supply from there,
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
                I'm running all my dash leds (around 150)
                What do you want 150 leds for? Do you have any pics?
                -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by max6674
                  What do you want 150 leds for? Do you have any pics?
                  Have a look through this thread

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21521

looks like some of the pic's have dissapeared, i'll sort some out tonight,
                  Last edited by POPEYE; 28 May 2007, 07:54.
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Excellent... that looks well cool ;-)
                    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Working...
                    X