Rear window not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window not working

Sometimes when I raise the window (either off the key or the switch), the lock does not engage & I get the warning light on the dash - I'm usually in the habit of pressing it down manually before raising the glass; this doesn't result in any problems lowering the glass again.
    However, yesterday I must have raised the glass without manually pressing the lock & I got the warning light. For no other reason that the light was bugging me, I stopped & lowered the glass half way so I could reach in and press down the lock.
    Job done, the warning light went off - then disaster...
    When I went to raise the glass again it went nearly to the top then stopped going up. I could still hear the motor turning but not movement.
    I pressed the switch the other way & the glass went down a tiny bit then stopped, though again the motor was still turning.
    A combination of encouraging the glass up by pushing on it & the key allowed me to get the glass fully up so I could get home.
    But now I need help to sort out what's gone wrong.
    The window won't go down now, though I can hear the motor.
    I cannot open the tailgate because the lock is active.
    Having taken off the panel from inside I'm none the wiser - operating the switch still allows me to hear the motor, but I cannot see anything trying to move.
    Can anyone help me please ?
    Midnight-man

re

Ive just had the same thing happen to mine. its likely to be the gearbox part of the motor. often the teeth wear off the cog in the gearbox, but with mine it was the rubber clutch mechanism that had deteriorated and was just slipping.

I was lucky enough to obtain another motor from a top lad (Sledge) on here and make one good one from the two motors. he may even have another, not sure.

if youre really stuck you could maybe swap motors around from one of the rear passenger doors for the time being.

the thread is here

when it comes to removing the motor i found the easiest way to get at it was from inside with the window up, that way theres plenty of room to get your hand in, you need an 8mm spanner. its still a little fiddly, but you can reach & feel the bolts without too much trouble.

n your case if you push the window up from underneath on the inside (panel off) whilst turning the key or holding the button, you should be able to get it up enough get the motor out.

good luck
    Last edited by kevsta; 14 April 2007, 14:55. Reason: typos
    Biggus Truckus..

Comment

Same thing happened to me, it was easy enough although fiddlely to take the motor off.

Bushwhacker provided this picture for me
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/at...8&d=1164811483

The two parts indicated in the photo are the pieces that need glueing or drilling and bolting back together.

I put some small bolts through mine and the motor now works fine

Comment

go to the s$$$$per and get a passenger motor from a mr2 or a toyota with a simelar year as yours alot of them have the same motor as the surf tailgate

Comment

Working...
        X