Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail lights problem

Hi. I'm a noob Hilux Pickup owner.

My rear tail lights stopped working last week on my way home in the dark I've checked fuses in both boxes, changed the lighting relay, checked bulbs and looked for obvious loose connections, but can't find anything. There appear to be no earthing points at the back. They all come forward via the cab fusebox.

The front sidelights, brake, reverse and fog light all work fine. Its just the rear sides and number plate lights.

All suggestions welcome.
    1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Originally posted by Nicely
    Hi. I'm a noob Hilux Pickup owner.

My rear tail lights stopped working last week on my way home in the dark I've checked fuses in both boxes, changed the lighting relay, checked bulbs and looked for obvious loose connections, but can't find anything. There appear to be no earthing points at the back. They all come forward via the cab fusebox.

The front sidelights, brake, reverse and fog light all work fine. Its just the rear sides and number plate lights.

All suggestions welcome.
    Are the dash lights working, as on my 2nd gen the rear lights and dash were all linked by 10a fuse under drivers dash and when it fused both dash and rear lights went out!

Comment

Originally posted by ukviha
      Are the dash lights working, as on my 2nd gen the rear lights and dash were all linked by 10a fuse under drivers dash and when it fused both dash and rear lights went out!
      Yeah, all working. I've had every fuse out of both boxes to check them.
      1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Comment

Maybe fit new earth points for the rear lights.
        Are the rear light bulbs twin fillament, or are the brake lights seperate from the tail lights.? Maybe just dirty contacts on the bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          Maybe fit new earth points for the rear lights.
          Are the rear light bulbs twin fillament, or are the brake lights seperate from the tail lights.? Maybe just dirty contacts on the bulbs.
          They are twin filament. I'm going to try completely new bulbs. However, that doesn't explain why the number plate lights aren't working, unless they work like Christmas tree lights. :-p

All of the other rear lights work, so it can't be a dodgy ground, as they all share the same one. I'm starting to thing that live voltage isn't getting through on that circuit. The rear sides and number plate are on the same circuit.
          1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Comment

They are twin filament. I'm going to try completely new bulbs. However, that doesn't explain why the number plate lights aren't working, unless they work like Christmas tree lights. :-p

All of the other rear lights work, so it can't be a dodgy ground, as they all share the same one. I'm starting to thing that live voltage isn't getting through on that circuit. The rear sides and number plate are on the same circuit.
            Yep. They all come down the same wire, it is green with a blue stripe on most. You need to get a test lamp and hunt that little bugger down

Comment

I know its better to be testing current rather than voltage, however...

I tested the bulb holder and got no voltage through the side light terminal, but got voltage through the brake terminal (with the brake pressed).

Tested the cab side of the connector block which joins the external loom to the cab loom. Got voltage on the side light circuit.

Can I take this to mean that there is a problem between that connector and the bulbs?
              1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Comment

Yep,

Barring wierd stuff that means that it is in the single wire that connects the rear sidelight circuit. If you want to be sure, take a piece of wire, strip the ends and push one end up the back of the connector in the cab so it touches copper. do the same up the back of a connector at the sideligts. make sure you dont touch chassis earth or you take out your sideligth fuse . if your rear sides and no.plate lights come to life then you've found it.

Comment

Well, do you think this could be it?

Whoever decided to make a wiring junction box out of Scotch Clips UNDERNEATH the loader needs shooting. Corroded to feck...
                  1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Comment

That's obviously somebody's botched job as Toyota don't use scotchlocks anywhere in the original wiring.
                    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                      That's obviously somebody's botched job as Toyota don't use scotchlocks anywhere in the original wiring.
                      You don't say. I thought they did. Just before they stuck the steering wheel on with chewing gum and fitted the bumpers with Blu-Tac.

Looks like a job for a Soldering Iron and some heatshrink?

Comment

I expect wiring repairs on a 20 year old motor, what I don't expect is the stupidity required to do that. I probably know who did it too, as its only had one owner before me...

Originally posted by Medieval Dave
                        Looks like a job for a Soldering Iron and some heatshrink?
                        Exactly what I was thinking.
                        1996 VZN185 3.4 V6 SSR-G

Comment

I expect wiring repairs on a 20 year old motor, what I don't expect is the stupidity required to do that. I probably know who did it too, as its only had one owner before me...

Exactly what I was thinking.

a pox on scotchlocks!!! i hope the inventor forgot to patent them, and is broke!!
                          it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                          X