Dual Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Batteries

I have a new 1995 3L SSRG surf that has two batteries fitted. One looks new, the other real poor. I want to get this sorted asap as I don't want to kill my one good battery.

I want two good beefy batteries as I intend to run a few accessories....

My questions:

a) Do I just go for the biggest capacity ones that will physically fit? Or would this blow the alternator(s)? If the latter is true how do I know what would be safe battery capacitites?

b) I understand from other threads that the single battery configurations require a battery of around 700CCA. Can I just half this and get two batteries of around 350CC (if possible)?

c) Do the batteries need to be matched? ie the same?

As you can probably tell, I'm no expert at this

Advice is v.much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Regards,
    Andrew
    G0RVM

Go for option A, it will not be a problem for the alternator.

Comment

don't know if this will help but i have same cruiser and the batteries are both 450cca.....

Comment

2 new Batteries, Bosch. But...

Any ideas?
        I fitted two Bosch Silver lines 3 months ago. They have the little green lights to say all is well. While changing all the gearbox oils yesterday I noted one had lost the green light to indicate all was well. All the cables seem OK. Could the running in parallel stop this function? Or do you think it is time to use the 2 year warranty?
        I think this forum is great. Found all the info I needed for oils and service on here yesterday. Ace
        Any help is appreciated.
        Originally posted by asgawth
        I have a new 1995 3L SSRG surf that has two batteries fitted. One looks new, the other real poor. I want to get this sorted asap as I don't want to kill my one good battery.

I want two good beefy batteries as I intend to run a few accessories....

My questions:

a) Do I just go for the biggest capacity ones that will physically fit? Or would this blow the alternator(s)? If the latter is true how do I know what would be safe battery capacitites?

b) I understand from other threads that the single battery configurations require a battery of around 700CCA. Can I just half this and get two batteries of around 350CC (if possible)?

c) Do the batteries need to be matched? ie the same?

As you can probably tell, I'm no expert at this

Advice is v.much appreciated.

Thanks,
        Andrew

Comment

Its possible the battery is duff, but if its not one of those sealed things, have you checked its fluid levels?

Could there be a fault with the charging circuitry? It's possible to check this, but I don't know how. Sure someone else here will tho....

Andrew
          Regards,
          Andrew
          G0RVM

Comment

Running in parallel won't affect the condition light, get it checked out before the warrentee runs out, also check the alternator is working, it might not be charging properly.

Try disconnecting the good battery, and see how the car starts and charges the other one.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X