Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp. gauge

Hi,
    When I switch the ignition on the temp. needle rises to below halfway- which I understand to be the warm/running position. Starting and running the engine makes it rise slightly but still below half. When engine is stopped the needle returns to bottom of gauge.
    Before I buy new temp. sender- has anybody had the same problem or is there a basic way of checking the sender unit. (I dont have electrical tools)
    thanks,
    chris
    Powered by Toyota!

Are you saying that with the engine cold the needle rises to half way before you start the engine or that it rises to there when you restart after the engine has been stopped for a while. If it's the first one then there's obviously something wrong with the guage or the sender unit.

Mine will stay at the bottom until the engine warms up from cold but then tends to stay about half way whilst driving. If I then stop and come back to the car after about 2 hours or so the engine retains enough heat that the temp needle goes up to just below half almost immediately and the engine is already warm enough to run smoothly.
    Mike G

Comment

I had to pay for the diagnostics to be done to prove that it was the temp sender that had gone shortly after purchasing the vehicle.
      Gaz

Comment

Temp. guage

Tallyman- yes the temp. needle rises to under half-way before the engine has even started. The ignition needs to be on though. The `head-horror stories` make me want to get this fixed so I can keep an eye on the gauge. At about £30.00 a sender unit is it worthwhile me fitting a secondary aftermarket unit which would be more accurate than the so-called 3 position surf guages? I would then leave this one alone to do it`s thing!
        cheers,