3rd Gen Dash Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd gen dash lights....

hundreds of owners of 3rd gen trucks are out checkin their dash lights an their 4wd / 2wd systems an have since this was first posted ANYHOW, to answer your last question, (it's the easiest) raise either front wheel from ground and spin it....if you cant without difficulty (you could be a big strong fella ) it's in 4wd IMHO.....when do the REAL illuminations start ?

Comment

The real illuminations have started, last weekend in fact.

Thats for the help...

Ben

Comment

I meant 'thanks for the help'.......

Comment

Another thing.......(sorry to be a pain)

When in two wheel drive on a third gen, does the front prop spin, or is it completely redundant?

Cheers

Ben

Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BenRathbone
            Morr,

Did as you said; there is a large gravel and grass car park over the road. I've been in all the 4WD ratios, the lights still flash in those too (should the lights stay on in those usually?) Not a clue how this lot work, I take it the electrical gremlin cannot prevent 4WD engaging once in 4L etc? On returning to 2WD or indeed 4WD H as the case may be, the lights continue to flash after a brief pause of a couple of seconds where they remain lit.

The truck is driving very well indeed, its just the mobile disco I could do without, and I would like to know if I'm in 4WD or 2WD....is there any easy way to find out?

Cheers

Ben
            You can find a full description of the various modes and lights in the FAQ in the link in my signature.

Before you start delving too deep, you say you recently got the Surf, if it was from a dealer, then it may be best to have them check it out under warranty.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Right then,

I've jacked the front drivers wheel off the ground with the auto box in N. The wheel spun freely. Dropped back down, jumped in the truck started it, put it in 4WD by pressing the button, had a wiggle down the drive (the truck not me!), put it in nuetral, jacked the front drivers wheel, and low and behold it doesn't spin.

So from that I take it everthing is OK mechanically with the ADD system, but my lights still flash, meaning there is a dicky switch somewhere ???

Am I right....or could there be other issues....??

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Right then,

I've jacked the front drivers wheel off the ground with the auto box in N. The wheel spun freely. Dropped back down, jumped in the truck started it, put it in 4WD by pressing the button, had a wiggle down the drive (the truck not me!), put it in nuetral, jacked the front drivers wheel, and low and behold it doesn't spin.

So from that I take it everthing is OK mechanically with the ADD system, but my lights still flash, meaning there is a dicky switch somewhere ???

Am I right....or could there be other issues....??

Cheers

Ben
                i wanted you to switch OFF the engine. in drive, 4wd high, jack up front wheels and try to turn each road wheel, then go to 2wd ie changing by clicking the button on transfer lever and checking what happened at the road wheels.....should now be free to turn and front prop free wheeling also.. report back....

as an aside... on my truck (same model as yours) if i go into 4wd High then back into 2wd it can take up to 500 metres on the straight road (with dashlights flashing ) before I hear a clearly discernable clang (fairly quiet mind) and it has reverted to 2wd, simultaneously dash light extinguishes... I am happy with the set up on my truck off road and on road but intend to fit lift kit when grandchildren get big enough to be able to climb the additional height needed to embark....

Comment

Originally posted by Uplander
                  i wanted you to switch OFF the engine. in drive, 4wd high, jack up front wheels and try to turn each road wheel, then go to 2wd ie changing by clicking the button on transfer lever and checking what happened at the road wheels.....should now be free to turn and front prop free wheeling also.. report back....

as an aside... on my truck (same model as yours) if i go into 4wd High then back into 2wd it can take up to 500 metres on the straight road (with dashlights flashing ) before I hear a clearly discernable clang (fairly quiet mind) and it has reverted to 2wd, simultaneously dash light extinguishes... I am happy with the set up on my truck off road and on road but intend to fit lift kit when grandchildren get big enough to be able to climb the additional height needed to embark....

Well I did what you said, and the 2wd/4wd switch over is working as it should, yet the lights have been flashing.

I said 'have been' as they have now gone out !!!!! It was fixed as follows:

The dogs were left in the car for 5 minutes, standing on all the switches on the centre console. When the wife drove the car home she realised that the ECT had been switched on (by the dogs with the ignition off). She switched it off, and low and behold the 4wd/2wd display lights went out and stayed out !!!!!

What the hell is going on there then.......

Try and explain that !

Many thanks to everyone for their advice and support

Cheers

Ben.

Comment

Well I did what you said, and the 2wd/4wd switch over is working as it should, yet the lights have been flashing.

I said 'have been' as they have now gone out !!!!! It was fixed as follows:

The dogs were left in the car for 5 minutes, standing on all the switches on the centre console. When the wife drove the car home she realised that the ECT had been switched on (by the dogs with the ignition off). She switched it off, and low and behold the 4wd/2wd display lights went out and stayed out !!!!!

What the hell is going on there then.......

Try and explain that !

Many thanks to everyone for their advice and support

Cheers

Ben.
                    Its Japanese electrickery!
                    Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Working...
                    X