3rd Gen Dash Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Dash Lights

Hi everyone....I'm new (cue tuts and head shakes!).

I've just become the owner of a 1996 3rd gen auto. I love it.

But I have questions to ask you the 'wise' and 'all-knowing' regarding various lights on my dash.

Firstly, its currently in 2WD as it should be. One of my work colleagues has been mincing about with it whilst I was in the butty shop this lunchtime. When the 4WD button is pressed I get some lovely lights on the dash indicating that all 4 wheels (green lights) are being driven and an orange light representing the diff.
    Now when I press the 4WD button again to switch back to 2WD, the lights don't go out, they start to flash. They flashed all the way back to work (a mile or so). This is confusing as when I bought it no lights were illuminated. Do they go out after a while? or has something gone wrong? Or do I not have a clue what I'm doing?

Secondly, the fella i bought it off said he had done an Oil and Filter change last month. I have two lights by my right knee for Oil and filter......should they be lit red? should they be lit at all? Or are they just indicating that everything is OK?

Any help/advice would be greatfully appreciated !

Thanks

Ben.

It can sometimes take a while for the 4wd to disengage, particularly if driving hard or at speed, or if it has not been engaged recently/often it can get a bit sticky. Try sawing the wheel left & right a bit while moving off slowly. Having said that, on a 3rd Gen you can use 4wd full-time if you wish, so no harm will be done.

Have a look at the FAQ about Surfs forum for some further info, or try this FAQ

Lights at your right knee? Are these outside the normal instrument cluster? As they don't sound familiar to me.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Cheers Morr...will do.

The Oil and Filter lights are away from the cluster, to the right of the steering wheel and down.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by BenRathbone
        Cheers Morr...will do.

The Oil and Filter lights are away from the cluster, to the right of the steering wheel and down.

Ben
        Sounds like something aftermarket to me. Any chance of a picture?
        Maurice

Comment

Yes...good shout. It'll be later on this evening as I've no camera at work.

Thanks again

Ben

Comment

Just spent half an hour messing about with the surf, and still the lights are flashing, whether in 2WD or 4WD. When 4WD is selected the lights stop flashing for 2 seconds or so.....then start again.....and dont stop....

The strange thing is, that with 4WD selected, it feels like it is selected, and when de-selected, it feeles if only the 2 wheels are being driven....so why the hell are the lights flashing ??????!!!!!

Gremlins?

Comment

[QUOTE=BenRathbone]Just spent half an hour messing about with the surf, and still the lights are flashing, whether in 2WD or 4WD. When 4WD is selected the lights stop flashing for 2 seconds or so.....then start again.....and dont stop....

The strange thing is, that with 4WD selected, it feels like it is selected, and when de-selected, it feeles if only the 2 wheels are being driven....so why the hell are the lights flashing ??????!!!!!

the other thing you could try is moving the short gear stick put it in a diffrent position and then back into 2wd4wd H then try it again the reason being if it is not pushed forward fully the lights will blink and stop 4wd engaging
              Last edited by kiowa; 6 September 2005, 16:17.
              I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Good thinking....but alas no success...still blinking away.

If I press the 4WD button whilst listening underneath the truck, I can hear a clunk as if something is moving. When turned back to 2WD it makes no noise, which makes me think that its going nowhere in the firstplace, but its having a go.

I'm not sure how the system works so its hard to understand what could be going wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by BenRathbone
                  Good thinking....but alas no success...still blinking away.

If I press the 4WD button whilst listening underneath the truck, I can hear a clunk as if something is moving. When turned back to 2WD it makes no noise, which makes me think that its going nowhere in the firstplace, but its having a go.

I'm not sure how the system works so its hard to understand what could be going wrong.
                  have you checked the fuse for the 4wd system it is no1 on the interior fuse box should be below the steering wheel to the right hand side should be a 20amp fuse
                  I HAVE FOUND JESUS he was behind the sofa

Comment

Fuse is OK although its a 30amp. Removed fuse and the lights went out. Back in, and the disco starts again. I'll have to get a 20amp fuse tomorrow, but the problem still remains.

Stumped.

Comment

have you tried it in D N and R?

mine usually goes straight away in N but sometimes you need to shunt back and forth a bit for it ti come out completely... the relay in the NS footwell should click, then you'll hear a clonk as 4wd deselects
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Mine sticks sometimes also, I just knock it into N while driving then back into D, try it a couple of times. Also does the Orange light flash along with all 4 green ones??? If not it might be the lever position, drive on the grass slowly place it in N from D, and while moving slowly move the lever into 4 High without pushing the button, see if it locks, and all lights stay on, then reverse the process. DONT do this on hard ground, as you will be locking the diff...

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas chaps; but all the green lights and the orange light are still flashing. Not sure if its stuck engaging 4WD or dis-engaging 4WD....it seems to be in limbo. As I've said, I can hear a clunk when pressing the 4WD button every time, but when switched back into 2WD I hear nothing.

Does the system run on vacuum pipes, or is it just an electrical solenoid?

Comment

Get yourself onto a soft/loose surface, go thru all the 4wd positions, confirming all work. As these systems can get sticky thru lack of use this may help. When returning to 2wd, if the light's continue to flash, try driving slowly in a weaving pattern to encourage it to disengage, if required alternate this with driving slowly in reverse whilst steering left and right also.
                            Maurice

Comment

Morr,

Did as you said; there is a large gravel and grass car park over the road. I've been in all the 4WD ratios, the lights still flash in those too (should the lights stay on in those usually?) Not a clue how this lot work, I take it the electrical gremlin cannot prevent 4WD engaging once in 4L etc? On returning to 2WD or indeed 4WD H as the case may be, the lights continue to flash after a brief pause of a couple of seconds where they remain lit.

The truck is driving very well indeed, its just the mobile disco I could do without, and I would like to know if I'm in 4WD or 2WD....is there any easy way to find out?

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X