Remote Central Locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Central Locking

...Bought a kit off eBay a while since and have managed to fit it.

First thing (ironically it's the last thing I'm writing), but sorry about the length of the article. I intended to make this simple, but found that I just had to have all of the blurb in order for it to make sense.

I know a few have expressed interest in this subject so I thought I'd give details of how I fitted it. In the end it was relatively simple and definitely worth the effort.

Components needed: (i) Generic remote central locking (RCL) kit. (ii) Couple of cheap relays (cost me a couple of quid each - not much charge going through them so they don't need to be anything fancy). (iii) Crimps: 8 x insulated spade terminals, 2 x ring terminals for earthing points, (optional 2 x scotch locks). (iv) handful of cable ties. (v) Insulation tape.

Tools used: (i) A voltage testing meter (can buy these for a fiver if you've not got one). (ii) Philips screw drivers. (iii) 10mm spanner for dash board bolt. (iv) soldering iron, flux and solder (or if you prefer, a couple of scotch locks).

Steps taken:(1) Drivers door panel off (to get to central locking wiring).
    (2) Remove dash board panels below steering column, and below radio console in order to find 12V continuous live (important that it's a permanent live), and for earthing points.
    (3) Remove right hand speaker mounting (white plastic box held in with two or three screws). Need this access inside of rubber conduit for routing wire from inside car to inside door panel.
    (4) Remove the drivers door arm rest, uncoupling the wiring at the same time. Note - The small console holding all the switches should be pulled up at the front (it's just clipped in there). Don't try to lever it up at the back like I did and broke it!
    (5) Identify 12V permanent live. (I found a suitable one under the radio.)
    (6) Identify two earthing points. (There are a few next to the fuse box (right hand side of drivers foot well) and a few under the radio.)
    (7) Identify cables inside door panel that lock and unlock the all doors. On my KZN130 they are the Red/Yellow cable (unlock) and Red/White cable (lock). Both of these cables are in the wiring loom that connect into the Electric windows / Central locking switch mounted in the drivers door arm rest.
    (8) Connect the Positive (+ve) connection for the RCL Unit (RCLU) to the 12V source identified in step 5.
    (9) Connect the Negative (-ve) connection for the RCLU to one of the earthin points identified in step 6.
    (10) If your kit is like mine then it'll have loads of wires. You'll only need a few of them. Typically the kit will have wires split into four groups (one for each door). The wires that you need are for ONE of the BACK doors. This should just be a single pair. You will also most likely have four door lock solonoids (no idea how to spell that - it's a posh name for an electro-magnet). Plug in one of the solonoids and test the lock / unlock buttons on one of the remotes. This will make the end of the solonoid pop up and down. You wont need the solonoid, but this is just a handy test to make sure that everything is ok up to press.
    (11) If everything is fine up to press then take off the solonoid and using a volt meter identify which wire becomes 12V +ve when you click the lock button. (Make a note of it.) Do the same check on the other wire. It should become 12V +ve when you click the unlock button.
    (12) Hard work is over now. Basically, all you need to do is make the connections shown in the attached diagram (two of which you've already done). And find somewhere to hide the RCLU and wiring.

Anciliary notes:
    (i) When connecting the relays to the existing central locking wires, you can join into the wires using scotch locks. I personally perfer to tap into the wire and solder a connection. (These are the only two wires that need to go from inside the car into the door.)
    (ii) When connecting the relays two of the contacts on each relay will need earth connections. To simplify this I used one wire with four spade terminals on (use one of the unused wires that you've cut off from the RCLU). This meant that you only have one wire to connect to an earthing point as well. Regarding the other two connections on each relay. One wire comes from the RCLU (identified in step 11). And the other wire is one of the wires connected into the existing Central Locking (identified in step 7).
    (iii) When running the wire inside the door it is advisable to make sure the wire doesn't foul the window mechanism. To avoid this I used cable ties to fasten my two new wires to the existing wiring loom.
    (iv) To get the wires through the rubber conduit between the door and the body of the car I first use a piece of earth wire from a piece of cooker cable. (I bent the end over so that the end wasn't sharp.) With a little manouvering it's relatively easy to get this from the door to the inside of the car. Then I taped the wires to the end and pulled them back through into the door.
    (v) Care is needed, but all the wires except those that you are using from the RCLU may be cut short (you won't need them and they just take up valuable space). Insulate the remaining ends making sure that none of them can touch each other.
    (vi) See the attached wiring diagram.
    (vii) The relays will have their own wiring diagrams making it obvious how tio make the connections.
    (viii) Make sure to insulate all connections.

Hope that proves to be helpful. If anyone wants any clarification then drop me a mail.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Excellent guide thanks. I bought a kit, and just can't get the damn thing to work. I've identified all the wires that you've mentioned. The kit I have has 4 wires to wire in to control the locking/unlocking. It looks like the reason I can't get it to work is that I've been using the 12v outputs from the RCLU, I'll have to see if the other two outputs go to earth when locking/unlocking and trying them.

Just as a side note, the wires from the door go to a central locking control box that is mounted behind the drivers side speaker. That is where I have been trying to attach, rather than connecting at the door switch its self.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

Cheers

Hi Slugsie,

Thanks, glad that you appreciated my post. Had struggled with this myself for a while so I figured that others might be able to benefit from my experiences.

Had figured that there must have been a better place to patch into the wiring, but I'd started at the door and got all the panels off and identified the wires etc. Couldn't face starting to look for the wires again inside the car! Hopefully your comments will save someone else some time and make the whole job that much easier.

Re which wire to use from the RCLU. If you've found a pair of wires, each of which, become alternatively +ve when you click the lock and unlock buttons then that's all that you need providing you use the relays that I've shown in the diagram. All the relays do is provide an earth for the existing central locking wires, which in turn activates the locking / unlocking mechanism.

Rob

Comment

Help - I got this kit off ebay and just can't figure it out. Today I had power to the unit and tried the middle two wiring setups (see diagram below). The unit makes the right noises and lights up but the CL does nothing. Do I need to add a couple of relays into this system, and if so, why?
        If so, do I just use the blue and green wires as live or do I need to wire in the brown and gray as well?
        Finally - what the hell are the yellow and the black/yellow wires for?

Sorry for being demanding but I spent most of the day titting about with this and feel horribly dissappointed that I couldn't get it sorted.

Many Thanks

Kiwi
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi
          Help - I got this kit off ebay and just can't figure it out. Today I had power to the unit and tried the middle two wiring setups (see diagram below). The unit makes the right noises and lights up but the CL does nothing. Do I need to add a couple of relays into this system, and if so, why?
          If so, do I just use the blue and green wires as live or do I need to wire in the brown and gray as well?

Sorry for being demanding but I spent most of the day titting about with this and feel horribly dissappointed that I couldn't get it sorted.

Many Thanks

Kiwi
          Looking at the diagram, methinks that you need the blue and green wires to operate the locks as you suggest. You need to test each of these wires with a volt meter to see what happens when you click the remote buttons. I suspect that each one in turn will give you a 12V reading. If this is the case then you will need a couple of relays (www.maplin.co.uk do them for about £1.50 in their automotive section).

The reason why you'd need to use relays is that the surf central locking works on having a 12V continuous live. When the drivers door lock is used this earths one of two circuits involved in the central locking. Since your unit is probably giving a 12V live when activated this isn't directly compatible. So what you're doing is using the 12V from the RCLU to activate the relays (posh name for an electically operated switch) which then provides an earth for the Surf circuit. Hopefully that makes sense.

Re the black and black/yellow wires, you've got me m8, text on diagrams aint that clear. Look like they're linked into the alarm system. Did the kit come with an alarm? Looking at the first diagram makes me think that the system can make the indicators blink and the horn ping when the system is activated, perhaps that's what these are for?

Hope that helps a little.

Rob

Comment

Hey thanks mate - I thought I could get away without the relays but now you've explained it, it makes a lot more sense.
            As for the yellow and yellow/black wire - well I think that will remain a mystery. I didn't buy the kit with an alarm, but the instructions do refer to one - very odd. On a couple of the wiring diagrams it indicates that the yellow and yellow/black wires should be connected together and joined to a DC+12v connection, but as there is already one that goes to the box I'm really confused by that. Think I'll just establish the basics and figure out the rest from there.

Will keep you posted and many thanks again for the help.

Comment

Hey thanks mate - I thought I could get away without the relays but now you've explained it, it makes a lot more sense.
              As for the yellow and yellow/black wire - well I think that will remain a mystery. I didn't buy the kit with an alarm, but the instructions do refer to one - very odd. On a couple of the wiring diagrams it indicates that the yellow and yellow/black wires should be connected together and joined to a DC+12v connection, but as there is already one that goes to the box I'm really confused by that. Think I'll just establish the basics and figure out the rest from there.

Will keep you posted and many thanks again for the help.
              It's a pleasure m8. Hope the install goes well. I'm well chuffed with mine - it's no longer in the shed!

Rob

Comment

Many Thanks

Kiwi
                It's looks like you've bought a similar kit to me (the wiring diagrams are very similar, but not identical). I'm going with the third diagram as my wiring method. I think I'll be buying some relays, but I'm going to have to do some more testing first.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

which locking system have you guys gone for?
                  was it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4550632106
                  so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Mine is very similar - just made by LION - scary innit!!

Comment

i liked the look of this one cause of the flick key. did yours come with the key if so did it fit?

Comment

Yeah it comes with those keys, but the blanks look too small to be cut for the truck. They are easier enough to remove and have your own one fitted though. What worries me about that, is that there ould be a lot of key fob sticking out from the ignition when the key is in it - if you know what I mean.

Comment

Not that i want to put the cart before the horse, but if I sort this out to a working state, is there any where easy under the steering console to wire into the indicators? I would like them to light up when the RCL is engaged/disengaged and allegedly this unti supports that function - TIME WILL TELL

Comment

Originally posted by surffreak
                            i liked the look of this one cause of the flick key. did yours come with the key if so did it fit?
                            The one I bought has key bits that you can attach into the fobs. However, the grooves on the blanks are the wrong way round and won't fit.
                            Paul </Slugsie>
                            Immortal.so far!

Comment

thats a shame i was hoping to use the key, the one i saw says it is for toyota but obvously not the surf. i have been given a central locking interface from maplins and all it needs to work is a remote switching relay which i can pick up for about £20 .cant decide what to do now.

Comment

Working...
                              X