burning out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burning out!

not sure what the story is with this alternator! On the top there is a bolt with what looks like an earth lead attatched. This lead keeps burning out! at the moment i have a croc clip holding the wire in place, well whats left of it! even the croc clip is slowly melting away! when it melts and leaves a gap in the connection all the lights on the dash come on and the voltage indicator drops? Now i know this happens when the alternator gets wet, but what would be causing it to burn out all the time?
    Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

you may have a short in the power out lead or a loose connection on your earth.
    loose wires sink ships!!! or was that gather no moss?
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
      not sure what the story is with this alternator! On the top there is a bolt with what looks like an earth lead attatched. This lead keeps burning out! at the moment i have a croc clip holding the wire in place, well whats left of it! even the croc clip is slowly melting away! when it melts and leaves a gap in the connection all the lights on the dash come on and the voltage indicator drops? Now i know this happens when the alternator gets wet, but what would be causing it to burn out all the time?
      It sounds like you might have a bad connection on one of the main earth/neutral cables that attach to the engine or chassis, I would start by checking all the large cables leaving the batteries and the other ends where they attach. Disconnect the batteries first!

Comment

Is this the original earth lead for the alternator.If not then it may not be a heavier enough gauge.Earth wires will get very hot or melt if not making proper contact or too light a gauge for the job.If you are sure there is no wires shorting on the alternator try a heavier gauge wire.If this still gets hot then check for faults elsewhere.

Neville

Comment

Working...
        X