Power problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power problems

It isn't so much of a problem but help needed.
    With the V6 you only get 1 battery so all my ancillary stuff is loaded on to it. I am currently running all these as "extras"

2 x Rinder Spots 2x55w
    2 x Rinder Fogs 2x55w
    4 x marker lights 4x5w
    4 x white strobes (unsure - not a lot though)
    4 x alternating rear reds 2x10w + 2x21w
    occasional roof strobe (I think it's about 3amp)

Sound system
    Sony Single CD Head unit
    Alpine T300 amp
    Alpine F250 amp
    Jensen sub

I need to fit the following extra items
    Map light
    cigarette light triple extension (for phone charger/bluetooth charger etc)
    1 x CB radio
    1 x Ambulance Service Radio
    2 sockets for extrenal work lights
    Change the strobe for a light bar

The alternator is rated at 60amp, I've just had a new battery (says 70 amps on it)
    Is it worth
    a. split charging 2 batteries (where the hell do I put a second and how small could I get away with)
    b. upgraing the alternator (which I guess I would have to do if I split charge) to allow for more current draw

Any help would be appreciated
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

You may need to upgrade the alternator anyway. The current one will run a max of 720 watts.

On the battery front it all depends on how much of it you are going to run whilst the engine is off and for how long.

A split charge would be a good idea if you are going to run the auxillary stuff for a long time without the engine running you could then get away with a standard battery but an Optima Yellow Top would be better as the normal battery will knacker quite quickly if you drain it all the way down.

You might get away with an replacing the main battery with an Optima Yellow Top which will withstand deep cycle http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...eep_cycle.html

As to where to put a second battery, not a clue :-)

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
      You may need to upgrade the alternator anyway. The current one will run a max of 720 watts.

On the battery front it all depends on how much of it you are going to run whilst the engine is off and for how long.

A split charge would be a good idea if you are going to run the auxillary stuff for a long time without the engine running you could then get away with a standard battery but an Optima Yellow Top would be better as the normal battery will knacker quite quickly if you drain it all the way down.

You might get away with an replacing the main battery with an Optima Yellow Top which will withstand deep cycle http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...eep_cycle.html

As to where to put a second battery, not a clue :-)

Rich.
      If you have a rear mounted spare you could fabricate a battery box to go in place of the underslung spare wheel. It would have to be pretty weather/damp proof because of the location and good heavy duty wire run to the engine bay (Welder cable is good because it has the same current handling as battery wire but with much thicker insulation).
      Of course, if your spare wheel is underneath, I may have exercised my typing fingers for nothing.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

Bundubasher has done it to his 3.0td 4Runner
        http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/enginelectrics.htm

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          If you have a rear mounted spare you could fabricate a battery box to go in place of the underslung spare wheel. It would have to be pretty weather/damp proof because of the location and good heavy duty wire run to the engine bay (Welder cable is good because it has the same current handling as battery wire but with much thicker insulation).
          Of course, if your spare wheel is underneath, I may have exercised my typing fingers for nothing.
          I have a rear mounted spare now following an LPG conversion. The gas tanks are underneath where the spare was.
          Ah well thanks anyway, at least you're getting the necessary finger exercise
          Last edited by rusty; 9 January 2005, 20:53.
          NO WORRIES!
          Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
            Bundubasher has done it to his 3.0td 4Runner
            http://www.elphick-pooley.co.uk/htm/enginelectrics.htm
            Yeah, thats a good link, cheers Rob.
            The downer is that there is less room on the V6 as the air intake is right where he has put the battery
            I have attached a pic of the current bonnet/engine look/cram
            Attached Files
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Working...
            X