Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Hey Vince since when did you start wearing a Jacket n tie ?

10+ Years of Surfs .... n Faultless to a " T " is my Yota
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Forgive me : i thought the objective of this website was to provide mutual support to persons who are enthusiasts for the Hilux Surf in all its various variations.

I didn't realize it was meant to be confined to persons with a deal of technical / mechanical knowledge.

In the spirit in which I understood the site to function I have asked a [ to me ] fairly simple question : what are the comparative numbers in terms of MPG between a 2.7 litre petrol Surf and a 3.4 litre petrol Surf ?

I realize of course that the former is likely to be more economical than the latter but I would be interested to know by how much.

No-one is obliged to reply to the question.

If you know the answer to the question why do you not simply set out the numbers as you understand them to be [ instead of pointing towards other threads ] ?

If you do not know the answer there is zero obligation on you to take the trouble to reply.

I wonder what you think you have achieved for yourself or anyone else by an offensive posting ? If I have ( in your view ) inaccurately summarized the thread to which you pointed - why not simply provide your own [ in your view more accurate ] summation ?

Comment

Originally posted by team japan daihastu div View Post
          less than 30 no matter what, probably about 15-18 local and about 25-28 on a run, its harsh but true!
          I reckon you will get around 15-18 mpg around town. You won't get 28, no matter how careful you are. The 2.7 petrol is better than a 3.0 diesel on fuel. So whatever you got before, it won't be worse.

You have now been told this about three times.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I have acknowledged with thanks that MPG numbers have been provided for the 3.4 petrol.
            I was hoping for actual MPG numbers [ to be able to make the comparison ] for the 2.7 petrol.
            I have not noticed anyone posting the 2.7 MPG numbers they project / obtain [ as opposed to terms like 'better' ].

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan blane View Post
              Forgive me : i thought the objective of this website was to provide mutual support to persons who are enthusiasts for the Hilux Surf in all its various variations.

I didn't realize it was meant to be confined to persons with a deal of technical / mechanical knowledge.

In the spirit in which I understood the site to function I have asked a [ to me ] fairly simple question : what are the comparative numbers in terms of MPG between a 2.7 litre petrol Surf and a 3.4 litre petrol Surf ?

I realize of course that the former is likely to be more economical than the latter but I would be interested to know by how much.

No-one is obliged to reply to the question.

If you know the answer to the question why do you not simply set out the numbers as you understand them to be [ instead of pointing towards other threads ] ?

If you do not know the answer there is zero obligation on you to take the trouble to reply.

I wonder what you think you have achieved for yourself or anyone else by an offensive posting ? If I have ( in your view ) inaccurately summarized the thread to which you pointed - why not simply provide your own [ in your view more accurate ] summation ?
              See post #6.

I don't have any acurate MGP figures because I, like most owners on this site don't give a toss about them.

If there were official figures stating that the 3.4 did 22mpg and the 2.7 did 23mpg which one would you buy?

Me, offensive? I haven't got there yet.

p.s. Do you wear a tie to work?

Comment

He has a point, you have been extra grumpy over easily answered qustions.

Let people not know things, and its not a crime, and it only makes you look even clevererererer, surely thats worth repeating yourself a few times?

No 1 rule of the internet is never believe anything you read without double checking all the facts, thats all thats going on here, especially as he's found seemingly conflicting info all in one place.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

On a side note

MPG aside, and not answering the original question..

whats the difference in torque and bhp etc - I'd guess and think the diesel produced more torque, like it does in cars, but maybe down on BHP..

My thoughts would be about usability over a few mpg's??

or is that a can o worms too

Comment

Its a generally know fact that diesels generally require less effort to tow and last longer, and petrols are generally nicer to drive around in and live with day to day.

The important word is Generally....

Vince has long term used a 2.4 2nd Gen, V8 petrol 2nd Gen and a (two) 2.7 3rd Gen petrol, towing with all of them too, so is ideally placed to offer opinions between them all and worth listening to.

Comparions between a 3rd gen petrol vs diesel you need to listen to listen to someone like Ace Piker who has owned both for a while now.

Common sense says if fuel costs are no issue the 3.4 is the best fun, the 2.7 a more econominal version, and a diesel the most economical long term.

But these days of diesel being so much more than petrol to buy, the car and the fuel, and also diesel being some much smoother and quieter the line is a little blurred these days.

Also remember peoples driving styles are different, people with basically the same trucks get wildly different MPG figures.

Test drive them all, and go with your gut.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Despite what the actual figures are or maybe it will vary from person to person, sort of journey and how heavy your right foot is.
                      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

All Toyota 4Runners are available in both 2WD and 4WD configurations and can be powered by either a four-cylinder or V6 engine coupled with a five-speed manual or optional four-speed automatic transmission. The 4Runner's automatic transmission is electronically linked to the engine control computer to help ensure smooth shifting.

The four-cylinder, two-wheel drive model is the 4Runner's standard model. Powered by a 2.7-liter, 16-valve, dual-overhead cam, four-cylinder engine with balance shafts, it produces 150 horsepower at 4,800 rpm and 177 lb./ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm. The four-valve combustion chamber combined with independent intake runners create an exceptional blend of fuel efficiency and power across the rpm range. City/highway EPA mileage estimates are 18/23 mpg with a five-speed manual transmission and 20/24 mpg with four-speed automatic transmission for two-wheel drive models. Four-wheel drive models deliver an estimated 17/21 mpg with five-speed manual transmissions.

Additional power can be found in 4Runner's rugged V6 powerplant. This 3.4-liter, 24-valve, dual-overhead cam engine is designed to boost power in the higher rpm ranges, while providing the low-rpm torque necessary for towing and off-road use. Long independent intake runners and a large capacity air cleaner maximize the engine's performance, helping to deliver 183 horsepower at 4,800 rpm and 217 lb./ft. of torque at 3,600 rpm. Two-wheel drive models deliver an estimated city/highway EPA fuel economy of 17/21 mpg. Four-wheel drive models provide 17/20 mpg when paired with a five-speed manual transmission and 17/19 mpg with four-speed automatic.
                        Source: http://www.top4runners.com/runhist/runhist32000.html
                        Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

erm in short i dont think anyone knows what the actual as from toyota figures are , will an extra 1-3 mpg make any difference to your purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                            Izzat big gallons or little gallons?

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                              Izzat big gallons or little gallons?

Little gallons.

Comment

Look here it'll be US gallons I assume (3.8l)

Comment

Working...
                                X