• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would a seal kit not do it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Stee...item25a1438f24

There's a decent "how to" online, also.

Comment

Yeah going to have a go with it cheers pal. Have any of you thought of putting a type of guard over the alternator to protect against power steering pump failures/leaks? I'm tempted to try it so at least my alternator won't get screwed if the seal kit doesn't work.

Comment

It's always been in my plans (if I don't relocate the reservoir). There was too much crap on the alternator when I got the LS400s and I've read when they go...they go. Most of the crap was likely just refill spillage...but still...easy job to make a nice stainless cover and avoid future nightmares Plus I want to keep things squeaky clean.

Comment

I need to see how much space there is around the alternator. Might be better to make a catch tray for the power steering rather than shroud the alternator as it might make it a bit too hot :/

Comment

I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to do it. Like you, I'll sort when I get to it. But a thin cover of steel plate, formed to shape, should improve airflow if anything. It only needs to direct leaks.

A catch aint a bad idea though

Comment

Well after sorting the power steering, the hose from the pump doesn't seem the standard banjo fitting like from a lexus so not sure what has been used.

How has everyone else done the high pressure hose line for the power steering pump to the steering box as mine has ruptured from rubbing on the bodywork all this time

I don't know what thread size that should be used to make a custom hose if anyone has any insight to this for the pump or hilux steering box. All I know is they are both 17mm bolts but not sure of the thread pitch/internal bore.

edit:
              Found this nosing around on the forum which might be useful to anyone else.
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80967
              Last edited by deviousd; 7 June 2015, 20:03.

Comment

Got in touch with the company in the post above for anyone looking for a properly made power steering hose for their lexurf.

You can get in touch with www.thinkauto.com and quote my order OR375743 to get exactly the same or use these details to fabricate it elsewhere.

1 x -6JIC ST Fitting for -6 hose
                1 x -6JIC 90 Fitting for -6 hose
                1 x Steel M/M -6JIC x M16 x 1.5 thread
                3 x M16 Bonded seals (I had to add two additional copper crush washers on top of those 3, 1 on each fitting to get a better seal)
                79cm of TFE Hose -6
                1 x Banjo adapter M16 Bore x -6JIC
                1 x M16 x 1.5 thread banjo bolt

Hose doesn't foul on anything as I just looped it around. Would have made it shorter but I prefer the length to help cool the fluid a little.

Comment

Nice!

I just went to Pirtek with one end Lexus, one end surf, and said "Can you join these at x length"

I did the same with the Aircon lines, and can now steer in airconditioned comfort
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

I would have done that but my hose was all wrong to start. Wasn't a banjo fitting into the pump.

Your air con lines were they just rubber hoses or did they do the metal bendy parts also? I'm really struggling to find someone to do mine. My air con rad isn't properly attached to the car and was just wedged between the rad and body work! I need to find how it all attaches and get a diagram for how the aircon should be plumbed in but it's an absolute nightmare

Comment

• Originally posted by deviousd View Post
                      I would have done that but my hose was all wrong to start. Wasn't a banjo fitting into the pump.

Your air con lines were they just rubber hoses or did they do the metal bendy parts also? I'm really struggling to find someone to do mine. My air con rad isn't properly attached to the car and was just wedged between the rad and body work! I need to find how it all attaches and get a diagram for how the aircon should be plumbed in but it's an absolute nightmare
                      Let me know how you get on with the aircon - thats my next job! Still struggling slightly with the Spitronics, but am now far more knowledgeable than I was, turned out that replacing the hall sensor for the crank and using shielded wire sorted the stalling completely.

However AIRCON WOULD BE GREAT!!
                      ------------------------
                      Truck? What truck .......

Comment

• If only
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by sadinn View Post
                          Let me know how you get on with the aircon - thats my next job! Still struggling slightly with the Spitronics, but am now far more knowledgeable than I was, turned out that replacing the hall sensor for the crank and using shielded wire sorted the stalling completely.

However AIRCON WOULD BE GREAT!!
                          I'm still trying to find someone to do all the pipes. Hoses are no problem it's just getting all the right fitments :/

As for now my next job is put it on a rolling road and see what it's putting out and then have the standard ECU chipped. I might get bored and supercharge it after that...

Comment

• Well mate I just spent the last hour reading your posts from the start and have to say I am truly surprised Vince has treated you like this, it is really an eye opener on a guy I have to say I looked up to somewhat, looking at his conversions in the past they looked real professional, just goes to show,
                            I would have liked to get this conversion done if I'd had the funds but bl00dy glad I didn't now, I would have been umm shall we say a lot less polite if he'd done this to me,
                            I've been on this site since about 05 (ish) and had the truck since before that, and it's still going well (apart from a small leak of fuel on the IP due to sodding veg oil) I stopped paying subs a couple of years ago mainly due to the smart ar$e'es, same old comments,
                            I don't post here much now,
                            so hope you get the truck sorts ok,
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

• Just take the hose ends to Pirtek and they will do them.

My V8 surf has working aircon.

VVTi engines are a bit of a bugger as the idle up wire needs a signal, not a voltage... but apart from that... just plumb it up, gas it up, and off you go.
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

• Trying to source a Soarer SC400 oil filter bracket if anybody has one from a conversion they haven't used.

I have the right one but need the one on the left.
                                Currently I can't change my oil filter without lifting the engine out as it fouls with the chassis. With the left bracket I can cut through the filter and bolt this bracket on instead.

Don't want to go remote filter housing ideally as more points of failure in comparison. Would rather keep the setup simple and less aftermarket

Comment

Working...
                                X