yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox now hooked up to engine and all in place Final position tweaking to be done before mounts are made.

Just have to ask around for some measurement opinions etc. Make sure it's all good.

Thankfully the rear prop extended/stretched enough to take up the 30mm shortfall but I don't think I can compress the front prop 30mm. Need to check the rear prop is ok to be extended/stretched 30mm.

Once all mounts are made I can finally dismantle and start the clean-up

Comment

• A major deal for me: after waiting so long to get the adapter made (making fitting possible) I've finally finished the fabrication of the mounts

They ended up millimetre exact mirror images of each other and the engine settled in the exact place I wanted. Again, to the millimetre. Obviously not by sheer luck. Just OTT measuring and calculations and OCD cutting.

I need to flap the mounts into the round edges etc (and clean the internals)....but getting the engine to sit unsupported was my priority. So mount paint and finishing will come in the next phase...which is to remove the body from the chassis and get the chassis etc into new condition.

10mm on to 15mm is a bit OTT...but I always thought 4mm was way too thin. Plus the engine plate is about stock thickness. My gearbox mount is 6mm PLUS...these trucks are chunky and thin metal things look lost on them. So chunky-assed mounts suit

Perfect fit

This is the position the engine will now stay for the rest of its life

Next phase is a welcome relief from the fabrication phase. It's all elbow grease and grinding for a while. Not much brain work. A dusty Summer lays ahead

Comment

• Looking good Sy....

Your welding is waaaayyyy better than mine

Comment

• Cheers, Andy

Same story as always though...perfect test welds then not so on the real things. I think it's a mind thing. Instant worry

Comment

• Lovely work, Sy!

I need to take the body off mine soon to clean up the chassis. The crossbar behind the fuel tank is rusted through, so that certainly needs welding up.

Half wondering about making a rotisserie for the body to make the sill and arch repairs a bit easier too!

Dan
            https://galooph.com

Comment

• Cheers, Dan

Yeh, need to work out how I'm going to lift it up to clear the engine, too. Lots of ideas but I need to decide on the cheapest stable idea. Thinking cap on

When you do yours...start a thread. It'll make interesting reading

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                Cheers, Dan

Yeh, need to work out how I'm going to lift it up to clear the engine, too. Lots of ideas but I need to decide on the cheapest stable idea. Thinking cap on

ooh...If either of you solve that one def want to see it, I'm right out of fork lifts that everyone on U-tube seems to use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                  Cheers, Dan

Yeah, my engine hoist will lift pretty high, but it would have to be one end at a time, and with some impressive axle stands!

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                  I certainly will do. Just need to pull my finger out

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                  ooh...If either of you solve that one def want to see it, I'm right out of fork lifts that everyone on U-tube seems to use.
                  A fork lift would certainly be handy!

Dan
                  https://galooph.com

Comment

• Got the use of a FL (or 2) so it's an option.

Comment

• low these mounts Sylux...been following your updates on facebook!
                      [B][FONT="Impact"]Cut my way in...weld my way out![/FONT][/B]

Comment

• "Low"? Is that loathe or love? I DON'T KNOW HOW TO TAKE IT!!!!!

Cheers.

Get good, quick info on FB...but this is my build diary My slow, slow build diary

Comment

• When trying to lift higher than able with an engine hoist, have you thought of an overhead hoist on an A frame, take the front wheels off to lower the height to lift over or possibly, take the suspension off and lower the truck down onto the engine.
                          Appreciate that you may have thought of these / they may not be viable options, just suggesting possible options.
                          Do you know anyone with a van or HGV with a hydraulic platform at the back? Put the engine hoist with engine on the platform and lift to desired height, then lower the platform in front of the truck

Comment

• All ideas are welcome, Rebel

Going to cost up one of my ideas and see if it's doable

Comment

• A safe way to construct that 'A' frame idea would be handy for me at some point in the future...

Comment

• Mine's going to have to be done from below. If my unit was narrower I'd put a steel across it and use a chain lift.

I may make a dolly and take the body off with next door's 2 post lift, then lower the body back onto the dolly and bring them back in.

But I want to take my time and hand jack it bit by bit. So a scissor lift type thing is looking likely. I'll also need a frame for the body to sit on that allows access.

Pretty easy to make anything...deciding which way I'll do it is the trickiest bit.

All depends on cost of materials. I want to spend on the truck, not daft one-off things.

But I really want to make my scissor lift design

Comment

Working...
                                X