yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all convertees! How is yours holding up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all convertees! How is yours holding up?

Hi all,

There are many threads on here about conversions (1UZ-FE) and many over-the-moon owners on getting their new machines on the road.

However...there are very few ongoing threads from people after running them for a long time.

Most fit the 1UZ-FE into stock Surf parts...so...

How's it going?

How are the diffs holding up?

How is the gearbox holding up?

How are all the other stock parts managing?

If you could give your thoughts, miles done and age of conversion...that would be great

I think it will serve as a good guide for those contemplating such a job, and is an important question, I think.

Many thanks

Very interested in this !

Looking to convert mine at some point to 1UZ with LPG - only bit im gonna struggle with is the mounts

Comment

Originally posted by Paulpen View Post
      Very interested in this !

Looking to convert mine at some point to 1UZ with LPG - only bit im gonna struggle with is the mounts
      £65 for a set of mounts (engine and transmission for KZN130 chassis) I'll be making a few sets soon.

Comment

Good price

How are your conversions all running these days?

Any diff issues or anything worth bearing in mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
          Good price

How are your conversions all running these days?

Any diff issues or anything worth bearing in mind?

None of my past customers have infomed me of any problems.
          I do check the condition of things such as bearings, brakes and propshaft U/Js before they leave here though, and tell the client they need replacing or I service them.

The weakest part of the drivetrain on Surfs is the front diff, but then you've got to be serioulsly abusing it offroad in 4wd to break it.

Comment

Absolutely fine. but I've probably only done a thousand miles or so, I'm always at work, and for that I use the 1 series....

I run a VVTi 3rd gen, on the factory surf Box, so a little more power and weight than most. but everything seems fine so far. - diesel gearing on 33s.

I run Toytec coilovers at the front and OME/Bilsten at the rear, it squats well and feels like the front wheels are about to leave the ground on a hard launch.

I also get the same MPG as it did as a grubby diesel.. - when I'm not booting it.

The only "issue" I had was that my original (factory) radiator began to weep around the tank top edges... but that was to do with old age, and nothing to do with the V8, - the factory surf 3rd gen rad is about 30% bigger than the factory LS400 one anyway. It would have worked for ages, but I'm fussy, so replaced it.

I also had a Walbro fuel pump fail intermittently, - but I swapped it for the factory Lexus one, - and its been fine since.

The only thing that doesn't work is the aircon, because I can't find anyone that'll bend the Aluminium pipes
            More Lift.
            More Tyres.
            More Engine.

Comment

Only one real problem with mine, I get a vibration, starts about 50mph
              and gets worse the faster I go. Its caused by the rear prop angle.

The transfer box output flange is a good 50mm higher than the standard
              setup with the v8 fitted, I also have 3 1/2" of lift in the rear, the uj at the
              transfer box is at way too steep an angle which causes the vibe. If I load the
              truck up, 4/5 adults and the dogs in the back its fine. I'll drop the rear a
              bit and maybe the gearbox mount too, should be fine then.

Fuel consumption is the killer, best I can get round town is 200klm's per
              tank, it doesn't matter how I drive it, its always the same. On a run its
              great, 350/400klm's per tank at a steady 65-70mph. Its not my daily drive
              so I can live with it.....just.

Less than 2 years with the v8 and maybe 3500-4000klm's under its belt
              and its proving reliable, only minor teething problems which you'd expect
              with any conversion.
              Still on a mission.

Comment

Great feedback, guys I think this sort of stuff will be useful for many would-be converters.

BW: When it comes to taking the engine etc out of the Surf I plan on a total overhaul. So that would be including the UJs, bearings and brakes etc.

KS: For me...the AC isn't massively important. Would be nice. Guess that's another thing to consider. I'm seeing that my 3L Rad should be fine. Long way off but it might be a case of going all in and getting one of those customer alu ones from the other side of the planet.

Bazcam: Very interesting. Did you not consider dropping the diffs etc using the blocks you can get? Mine will be anyway from the suspension lift.

From some of the initial reading I've found people saying the position of the engine is vital to enjoying the conversion (obviously). Too high up and too far forward renders it a horrible experience. Thinking ahead (admittedly in ignorance) the positioning is the bit that worries me the most. By the time I got to that I would be far more knowledgeable, though.
                Last edited by Sylux; 26 October 2013, 11:43.

Comment

My mounts will take all the guess work out of it for you.

There's a bulge in the bulkhead where the A/C pipes come through, I beat it back a bit with a hammer then tidy up and respray (You can't go too far as the evaporator is behind there) so the passenger side cam cover doesn't touch the bulkhead.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    £65 for a set of mounts (engine and transmission for KZN130 chassis) I'll be making a few sets soon.
                    Ideal

May still be asking you though as unsure if id trust my welding for engine mounts

Comment

Mine is still going good, spins the wheels when you stand on it, i think it's been through 4 MOT's now since Vince put the LS engine in, and a great job he did, well done mate,
                      the only big trouble i have had with mine was the bearing on the water pump went ,while on the M4 (had to be on the motorway) and i used my AA lot to get home, it was my fault i should have bought a w/pump,timing belt kit when the engine was out of the vehicle and got Vince to fit it. as it is a mate of mine who wroked for Williams back in the Mansell, Senna era fitted one for me after i had ordered it from the USA, they are the best kits to get i think.
                      I had that same vibration one guy was on about fro awhile but it has now gone and it now cruises along at a fair old pace on the A roads and M ways when needed with no problem.
                      some small things i need to iron out with it are because of the body kit lift the fuel filler pipe, mines the LN130 1st gen?, only just go's on and i have developed a leak where the pipe fits onto the tank , so if any of you know the Inside dia of the filler pipe i need i will order some from a lot called Car builders Solutions, Vince if you are listening could you just measure on you have taken apart mate. One other thing i should have given Vince a 3 litre radiator, mine doesnt overheat as such but i have a problem with the heater not blowing warm air due to an airlock (not the thermo as i fitted a new one) and i see in the CBS catalogue you can buy a bleed valve to fit in the heater line. And my 4 wheel switch still don't work but as long as it engages in4WLow i'm ok, oh and i had to weld myself up some new exhaustpipe to meet up with those extreemly loud muflers i have cos where i reverse into the sea the salt finaly killed the pipe but not the muffler
                      my MPG is good i think, i still get 23 or 25m per gal on a open run and even round town it only drops to around 20, but with exhausts like mine you will get pulled if you punch it in town, all in all i think the LS 400 engine is a great piece of enginering and the only thing that let it down was the gearbox, a manual gb would def uleash the horsepower it was worthy of.
                      Bit of a long reply but you did ask.
                      No king of England is not king of France

Comment

Oh just to tell you guys i had never changed the details on my logbook til i finaly moved to Somerset and this year they held my old logbook and were going to issue me with a new one but due to mine having a bash back before when it was a 2.4 diesel they only had the diesel eng on it , the bash meant i had to go to a VOSA (in avonmouth) to get the VIC vehicle identification check, that went ok but now DVLA wont issue a new logbook without proof of the new engine number,fuel type, and CC, luckily i kept the old LS logbook from the donor car sent it to them but still they told me thats no proof that the engine was fitted so now i have to get to a garage and get them to give me headed paper with the eng number and petrol and CC, believe it or not the logbook is not a legal ID of your engine according to them , this isn't realy in this thread but make sure you hold onto all the engine info from the donor car just incase, talk about red tape, the VIC cost me £40 and they didn't even ID the engine, money for old rope.
                        No king of England is not king of France

Comment

Excellent information, 3 Lions

Comment

Another question for you conversionites...particularly you 3.0 TD owners:

How much more noticeable is the improvement in acceleration? Does it feel massively different?

Can you try and describe?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                              How much more noticeable is the improvement in acceleration? Does it feel massively different?

Can you try and describe?
                              Two words, Yes and No

Or in pictures

................ .................

Comment

Working...
                              X