Comment

Egr blank pics
      Attached Files
      ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by zem_41 View Post
        So got some more bits done today.
        Do I need to replace head bolts?
        Does anyone know where to get a top end gasket set?
        Thanks Vince :-)
        You'll need new head bolts. Not found a supplier for a sensibly priced set yet though.
        Gaskets available here.....
        http://www.eurocarparts.com/car-gasket-seals

Or import a full set here.....
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphite-C...-/220737819466

I re-use the exhaust gaskets and and upper and lower intake gasgets. They are metal faced and can be cleaned up and re-used.

Comment

Zem, I have some of the bits you'll need for this conversion (including the correct Soarer filter boss), PM me if you want to chat about what I have.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Thanks vince, I have seen that same head set with head bolts included so will prob go for that one.
            I read last night on lextreme that getting the heads skimmed could possibly mess up the timing?
            Is there a way to clean the heads up without skimming or does it have to be skimmed?
            Any advice is greatly appreciated
            Albannach I just literally bought the soarer filter boss, doh!
            I think I have most bits now more or less but thanks

Comment

Albannach I just literally bought the soarer filter boss, doh!
              I think I have most bits now more or less but thanks
              Nae worries
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graphite-C...-/220737819466

That's a good price for a full head set, I paid more than that
                for the cam cover gaskets and plug tube seals alone.

It seems you are being very thorough with your prep for this
                conversion Zem, it helps to have Vince on your side too.
                Just one thing puzzles me, why are you taking the heads off ?
                I've seen no mention of problems with your engine, so just wondering
                why ?
                Still on a mission.

Comment

Well I thought about doing the heads and valves as the engine was out, but then I thought if its not broke dont try and fix it ( as i should have said this to myself on many occasions before). After doing some research it seems that the head gaskets very rarely go.
                  But then I managed to get some crap down the inlet ports and possibly into the chambers :-(
                  I think I got most of it out but I don't want to risk it, so Im gonna take them of re lap the valves give it a good clean and what not.
                  Now I'm just curious as to weather I should get the heads skimmed or not or weather I have to, as I read on lextreme that it may mess the timimg up?
                  Decisions decisions
                  Apart from that its all going peachy

Comment

What kind of crap went down the inlet tubes, muck or metal?

If it's muck then an airline should get it out. If it's metal, then use a magnet on a length of stiff wire, the block and heads are alloy remember.

I got one of these for checking ports/bores etc...
                    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5M-USB-End...item35ca5a4467

Don't take the heads off if the engine was running OK, it's not worth the hassle. You won't gain anything by doing it.
                    Skimming the heads will alter the compression ratio not the timimng.

Valves never give any problems, it's the valve bucket shims that sometimes need adjusting on very high milage engines.
                    If the engine makes a slight ticking noise that increases with revs, it'll be the shims, particularly above pot number 7.

Comment

It was mostly dust/sand that had collected in a recess between one of the inlet ports which I blew with the air and it went all over the place, stupid I know without the ports being covered, no metal though. I have had it upside down with the plugs out and an air line up inside, plus through both the exhaust and the inlet side. I'm just worried that the sand will stick to any oil in the bores and maybe score the barrels.
                      Gonna order the endoscope anyway though as they come in very handy and for £13 that is a bargain!
                      If there is some sand left in there and i run it, what's the worst case scenario?
                      The engine was running sweet before, there was a small oil leak right by the power steering pump but it looked more of a leak from the power steering pump rather than the head leaking, ie it looked sprayed/flung on rather than running down the block.
                      Thanks for the advice vince
                      Will post loom tmrw and make payment tmrw evening

Comment

Hi Vince hope ur well
                        My endoscope turned up today
                        I can't seem to get it working as there are no drivers on the disk, did u have the same problem?
                        Thanks buddy

Comment

It wouldn't work on my old laptop but it did on a newer one which has UBS2 ports.
                          Is yours USB2?

Have you sent the loom yet?

Comment

Yes mate loom went yesterday and payment went this morn.
                            No rush for the loom buddy won't be taking the surf block out for a few weeks yet.
                            The endoscope wouldn't work on a laptop but my pc found it but won't work as it's looking for an audio device?
                            Did yours just plug and play? What programme did you use to view?
                            Many thanks in advance mate your a diamond !

Comment

Sorted it mate, got it working on my sisters mac book.

Comment

Yes mate loom went yesterday and payment went this morn.

Got 'em both, cheers.

No rush for the loom buddy won't be taking the surf block out for a few weeks yet.
                                The endoscope wouldn't work on a laptop but my pc found it but won't work as it's looking for an audio device?
                                Did yours just plug and play? What programme did you use to view?
                                Many thanks in advance mate your a diamond !
                                It was practically plug and play on the wife's laptop as hers has USB2 ports.
                                My laptop couldn't 'see' it.

Sorted it mate, got it working on my sisters mac book.

Marvelous, find anything down the holes?

Comment

Working...
                                X