Say hello to my little friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update

Been a busy few days, the engine is in and all bolted together, the tank is in, the prop shafts are in, the exhausts are done, gear selector needed extending by 25mm so that's done, got wires to the fuel pump ready, got the oil temp and pressure sensors tapped into the soarer oil filter housing, got the water temp sensor tapped in. Had an issue with the gearbox as when I bolted it together a weld on the flywheel lined up exactly with one of the threaded plates on the torque converter and locked it up so had to slide the box back off to find this problem, what are the odds! Made a filter holder out of the lexus bumper and installed the fuel lines to the filter, brakes are done. The vlovo fan I got off eBay for £7 turned out to b a sucker so I couldn't use it on the rad so I mounted it on the removeable tray underneath so it sucks up cold air from underneath no photos yet as it's still wet. So nearly there but unable to continue as I have no loom:-(
    Here's a few photos on where I am.
    If you could let me know about loom Vince/bushwacker would be much appreciated buddy thanks
    Attached Files
    ALL THE GEAR!............no idea!

Comment

• More pics of the zorst
      Attached Files

Comment

• More zorst, the brackets are a bit slap dash but I wanted them to be adjustable but they work.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Oil pressure and temp senders, these have a tapered thread so I had them all machined, having an engineer working next door is a touch, got all three sensors done with only having to hold a ladder for payment! Happy days
          Attached Files

Comment

• Flexi exhaust going round front prop
            Attached Files

Comment

• Exhaust over axle
              Attached Files

Comment

• Power steering cooler which I got off eBay for £8 from an Alfa as I sold the lexus one
                Attached Files

Comment

• What level of mechanic would you say you were? And have you had to do any welding?

Comment

• I'm pretty much self taught to be fair, I started messing with cars when I was younger. My dad taught me a lot and anything else I got stuck on I asked my mechanic buddy for advice, I worked about a year in a garage a few years ago but that was mostly servicing t/belts and other bits and pieces, never custom stuff like this. Never studied mechanics or anything.
                    I have welded a few bits like the mounts and the exhaust brackets but that was with an arc welder as I don't really get on well with mig welders, taught myself to weld. I find the arc welder easier than mig. I have done small stuff before with oxy but that was only once, then I just used it to gas axe and heat bits up.
                    I work in telecoms on the underground which is mostly cable based so mechanics is sort of a hobbie I spose .

Comment

• Ah, so pretty clued up, still.

Just contempating grabbing a 1uzfe, getting it in the garage and slowly reconning in. Learn as I go. Then, using all of the info here and bending the ears of the like of Bushwhacker to do the swap.

Pretty ambitious for me but if I start off-car...there's not too much to lose and lots to gain.

Still, I'd love to hand it over to BW, with his fee, and let him work his magic.

Comment

• I pretty much did the same mate, never looked at a v8 in my life. KNew the surf in and out from messing around with that though, I researched for about 3 months before i started, read all the posts in the engine trans section, made sure I was ready for what I was about to take on, sold the bike and made a start. Nearly all the info I needed was on this site or there was someone(mainly bushwhacker) that could point me in the right direction.
                        If your not keen on the work bushwhackers price is very very reasonable for the amount of work he does, I have prob done 2/3 of what he does and it's taken me many many many hours, the quality of his work is spot on too!

Comment

• Cash flow is the only reason I'm looking at doing it myself. I'm a big believer in jumping in at the deep end. So I'd not be phased. Just out of my depth

It would also take me an age. The manual tranny thing is pricey, too.

Believe me...if I had 3.5K (probs nearer 5K with the bits I'd have to buy)...it would be going to BW and I'd happily wait in his long queue His work is second to none and I've never thought of his price as anything other than money well spent. His little touches are beautiful.

But I don't have that sort of cash.

I'd pick up a LS400 (which would wipe me out for a bit) and take what I need and patiently break the rest. Then sell the 3L lump out of mine etc.

I'm the sort of person that likes to dream...but I also like to try and reach my dreams. Driving my Surf with that V8 sound would be incredible.

Comment

• ps. You're project is spot on, too Are you doing vids?

Comment

• I will be when I get it running, not sure when that will be though as I can't seem to get hold of bw.
                              Yeah sitting on the lexus paid off for me, I bought it for £500, so far I think I'm at about £800 from selling parts so it pays off if you can keep it to break.

Comment

• Sucker fan mounted to tray
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X