yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going for it...A lot of advice will be required.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could you not find a lumbering old LS400 ? It seems a great pity to waste a nice Soarer. ( Unless there's something seriously wrong with the car, as a whole ).
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

The Soarer has a tatty interior, broken trim, rusty rear quarters and a leaky boot. Not had a proper look underneath yet. The diff is welded as the lad before me used it for drifting.
      The good points are that the engine is in tip top condition. All his money spent on water pumps, timing belts and regular oil changes whilst it was going sideways.
      Also got a nice 3" sports exhaust which might just fit under a surf with a bit of welding.
      I was looking at numerous LS400's but ended up going for silly money with little or no history, unless I made a long journey to pick one up from a distance.

One thing I didn't know, it has a hydraulic motor for the cooling fan. Is it the same with the LS400?
      Last edited by Sparkie67; 20 June 2013, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkie67 View Post
        One thing I didn't know, it has a hydraulic motor for the cooling fan. Is it the same with the LS400?
        The LS400 has a viscous fan attached directly to the front of the motor like this:

The Soarer has a hydraulic pump instead (I presume) because the radiator is sat much further away from the motor:

From what I've seen there's no room in the Surf engine bay for either of these set-ups and an idler is typically installed in their place to retain the stock accessory belt.

Comment

The Soarer has a tatty interior, broken trim, rusty rear quarters and a leaky boot. Not had a proper look underneath yet. The diff is welded as the lad before me used it for drifting.
          The good points are that the engine is in tip top condition. All his money spent on water pumps, timing belts and regular oil changes whilst it was going sideways.
          Also got a nice 3" sports exhaust which might just fit under a surf with a bit of welding.
          I was looking at numerous LS400's but ended up going for silly money with little or no history, unless I made a long journey to pick one up from a distance.

Fair do's then. It looked much tidier than that in the pic's. Good luck.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

whats this bit?

Hi.
            Had engine ticking over tonight whilst doing some other things and noticed the tickover fluctuating ever so slightly. Theres 2 relays pulsing on nearside wing, traction solenoids they are labelled.
            On the engine itself is what looks like an idler pulley but mounted on a pivot with what looks like timing marks. This was moving ever in time with the revs fluctuating. Picture attached if it helps. Its the pulley up and left from main crank pulley and timing.
            Thanks.
            Attached Files

Comment

If you need to ask questions like those, you really need to read up on the engine you're hoping to transplant.
              Have a read here first........
              http://www.lextreme.com/tech_maintenance.html

The pulley you're referring to is in one of the tutorials.

Then have a read of this site.....
              http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/

Comment

Thanks for the info Bushwhacker. Will start reading.

Comment

Oh poo....

Not a happy bunny. Project may be on hold for a while.
                  Looks like the head on my 3.0 has now failed. Started using water but nothing on the floor or I the expansion tank. Just vanishes..........

Comment

Why does that put a hold on the project? Surely it matters not as you're removing that engine anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                      Why does that put a hold on the project? Surely it matters not as you're removing that engine anyways?
                      See post one.
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

It's the 2.4 head that initially failed in my gen 2 Sylux.
                        Now its looking like the head on my gen3 is on its way. If I was to genyly tihhten my head nolts and it was a damaged head gasket, would it help seal it by squashing it a little.

Comment

Now its looking like the head on my gen3 is on its way. If I was to genyly tihhten my head nolts and it was a damaged head gasket, would it help seal it by squashing it a little.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Sorry for the bad spelling. I was sending from my mobile and spell check thingy wasn't working. But i'm sure people get my drift....lol

Hasn't used any water from topping up this morning. Just have to keep my eye on it.

Might have to run the soarer for a wee while if it has to be repaired.
                            Last edited by Sparkie67; 27 June 2013, 17:29.

Comment

Yeh, it was very obvious it wasn't how you believed those words were spelt!

Anywho...

Gotcha! Didn't initially realise you had two surfs.

So basically you don't want 3 motors with no beating hearts. Makes sense.

Have some fun in that Soarer until the Surf is sorted? Or just buy a banger to run around in and crack on with the conversion?

Comment

Or better still why not see if the water loss is an actual water leak and not a mechanical failure.
                                It could be something as simple to fix as a perished hose or leaky rad cap?

Either way a bit of water loss is not terminal.
                                Get a sniffer test done and keep your fingers crossed.
                                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X