Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexurf MPG

Hi All,
    This is my first post here, but i've been reading for a good while. It's a really great forum, and you guys have a wealth of knowledge, which I'm hoping you could share with me? Anyway, to the point i'm planning to build my own lexurf. I've never done anything quite this big before (a couple of like for like engine swaps and a bit of fabrication). I know it will never be up to bushwacker standard but i'm more doing it for the learning experience than anything else. Hopefully you guys will help me when I get stuck?

Anyway, could you lucky sods that already have lexsurfs let me know what kind of MPG you get from them roughly? Also, how does the 1UZFE take to LPG if anyones tried it?

I was furtunate enough to pick up a ready made model about 6 weeks ago and can't recommend the conversion enough

Down side is I screwed my back up just after picking it up so its been sat in the garage feeling unloved for the past month

As for mpg they reckon around 25 is achievable but i need to use it before i can confirm that

Comment

18mpg on surf gearing - 25mpg if you fit taller gearing (lexurf v has 3.42 diffs)

if you need to lpg it you cant afford to run it is the way i've always looked at things.
      Last edited by gary-r; 16 April 2012, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
        bad luck on the back thing sympathise 100% with that.

Why has no adult pointed out that..does it matter? as its a 4.0ltr what do you expect.

Nice idea to DIY your conversion wish you all the best with it, post up your progress with pics im sure many others would like to do it but aint got the knowledge. like me for instance
        i did hear that bespoke wiring looms were possible from a member on here at some point
        Thrifty I have to say this, Thanks for your sympathy on the back it's is appreciated. As for the rest of your post I Didn't buy mine for economy, but for the fun factor it brings

I've edited out the crap and all you had to post is what remains above

Comment

Thanks for the replies. 18-25 odd sounds pretty reasonable. To note i'm not worried about if I can afford the fuel, if I was I'd go and buy a diesel beemer or similar. i'll not use it as a daily commuter (i have my motorbike for that), it was more a question of the added tank range, plus if I expect to keep the truck for a long time the LPG conversion will (eventually) pay for it's self, plus the added range as mentioned above. I would imagine the cost of fuel will only continue to rise, so if builing a truck from the ground up it would seem daft to leave out an alternative fuel if it would work well with the truck as a whole, and are they not also exempt from london congestion charging?

Comment

Originally posted by jjh View Post
            Thanks for the replies. 18-25 odd sounds pretty reasonable. To note i'm not worried about if I can afford the fuel, if I was I'd go and buy a diesel beemer or similar. i'll not use it as a daily commuter (i have my motorbike for that), it was more a question of the added tank range, plus if I expect to keep the truck for a long time the LPG conversion will (eventually) pay for it's self, plus the added range as mentioned above. I would imagine the cost of fuel will only continue to rise, so if builing a truck from the ground up it would seem daft to leave out an alternative fuel if it would work well with the truck as a whole, and are they not also exempt from london congestion charging?
            LPG on a 1uzfe when it's still in the Lexus works OK, but when the engine is transplanted into a another vehicle it can cause a lot of headaches.
            LPG won't stay cheap for long IMO.

Comment

Thanks vince.

You think they will start to raise the duty? It's not a project killer, just a nice to have if it will work. Maybe it adds too much extra complexity to the build, with this being my first attempt at something this big? The fabrication and welding i'm quite comfortable with, it's the electrical side that's worrying me! How much hacking and soldering of wiring looms etc is actually required, for the most simple solution? What's the easiest solution with regard to clocks etc you've found? You used the Lexus cluster did you not?

P.S Thank's for your help and tolerating my NooB questions!
              Last edited by jjh; 17 April 2012, 10:23.

Comment

Well, the price of veg oil suddenly increased when it became popular and the revenue from diesel went down, I think LPG will go the same way.

Re: wiring, all the answers are here.......
                http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/vie...hp?f=2&t=29128

Comment

That's great, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Well, the price of veg oil suddenly increased when it became popular and the revenue from diesel went down, I think LPG will go the same way.

Re: wiring, all the answers are here.......
                    http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/vie...hp?f=2&t=29128
                    Nice one Vince! That should provide a few hours light reading!
                    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                      Nice one Vince! That should provide a few hours light reading!
                      Already Started!. Works quiet today......

Comment

to throw my 2p in not sure about mpg but mine on petrol is about 14-16mpg i would guess depends what you have done to it? if got mud tyres on and 4" overall lift then wont run as good as road tyres and 2" lift. the old style LPG conversion does cause problems with the air flow as my previous writes up and comments have suggested as after the LPG conversion it runs rich on petrol and i think i have sorted a way of getting it back to normal. it does about 12.5 mpg on LPG which cost wise is

80 litres at 75.9p = £60.72 so 80/4.546 x 12.5 = 219 miles or £60.72 / 219 = 27.7p mile

normal tank = 65litre so 65 / 4.546 = 14.29 gallons (£1.419x 65 = £92.23) x 18 max! = 257 miles a tank so £92.23 / 257 = 35.8p mile

8.1p differance!
                        Last edited by dannyboy77; 17 April 2012, 13:02.
                        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

In short then, if you were to start over you'd not bother with the LPG?

Comment

if you 10000 miles you in a year you save £810 pounds the conversion costed £900 and i had it done 2 years ago.........i will leave the decision of getting an LPG conversion up to you.

just to add a note ever since LPG was being sold at petrol stations it has always been about 45% cheaper than petrol and about 50% cheaper than diesel and should reamain to do so
                            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

I think on balance I'll leave it out of the build to begin with, it's going to be complex enough without that mixed in. Thanks to all for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X