Lexurf VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GBV8 View Post
    Plans are for a set of Nathan Airchime K3 train horns and a 5 gallon tank to supply them.
    Will also connect up an airline for tyres and blowing dust off my dash

All totally unnecessary and useless but loads of fun. I'll keep the thread updated
    the neighbours are going to love you!

Comment

• Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
      snigger the zorst note is usually enough for that

Comment

• Originally posted by gary-r View Post
        snigger the zorst note is usually enough for that
        That's what I was thinking...

Comment

They are Viair Dual 380c compressors. Brand new and boxed.

Plans are for a set of Nathan Airchime K3 train horns and a 5 gallon tank to supply them.
          Will also connect up an airline for tyres and blowing dust off my dash

All totally unnecessary and useless but loads of fun. I'll keep the thread updated
          I have often found that's a perfectly justifiable and sound basis on which to do anything.

Looking forward to the video of the test blast
          Brian

Comment

• Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
            Hehe, couple of weeks ago a neighbour comes walking down my street and starts telling me how he was sitting watching TV the other night and he hears this almighty rumble. So he jumps up off his seat and bounces out to the front door to see what it is and sees my Surf leaving the street. First he thinks, I thought he (me) sold that (truck was on 'holiday' in Wales) and secondly, it's a diesel engine in it anyway??? What happened was my Bro-in-Law had called by for a gander and to hear it running and I couldn't resist stamping hard on the loud pedal a few times. He then jumped in and we drove off to the off licence for a few beers.
            Anyway, the neighbour is a bit of a petrolhead himself so I opened the bonnet and showed him and he's like, "WTF!!"
            He then comments that he didn't think I was into this sort of thing, modding trucks, off road etc.
            I said, "I'm not and I know it's all totally unnecessary but by f*ck it's shit loads of fun!"
            Yeah, wait until he hears the 'Express' coming

Comment

Yeah, wait until he hears the 'Express' coming

Comment

• After removing the seats for bolster repairs and cleaning I decided to whip the carpets out and give them a clean & dye. After seeing the job Vince done here I thought I'd give it a go.

Small shot of the grubby, offensive item.

Main carpet stripped out, cleaned & dried.

I sprayed all this indoors and used a blow heater to dry between coats to get the job done quick. This dye is some toxic shit so if you use it indoors or in a confined area be sure to wear a good quality respirator! The wife walked in on me whilst I was spraying and coupled with the heat of the place she started choking and spluttering thinking she was going to pass out. She wasn't to happy that I was holding her hand and trying to explain my dying love for her hehe.

Notice the difference in the colours below. Wheel arch liners have been washed and resembling something of their original colour. Boot carpet below it is stinking and the tailgate door liner has been cleaned up & dyed.
                I am using the black upholstery dye from Valeterspride applied from a small spray bottle. I gave everything three coats and it took the whole 5ltrs. I found that once dried, giving the carpets a rub over with a hard bristle brush sort of activated the fibres again and gave them that 'new' plush feeling back. The carpets felt quite hard and brittle after the dying and this sorted them out.

Main carpet dyed and ready to go back in.

Before, stripped out.

After. With everything being washed and bone dry the inside has a nice 'new' smell again. No more damp after sorting a leak I had plus I also scrubbed the bare floorpan as a previous owner had a dog in the back and occasionally you could still smell it.

Just the small strips of carpet to dye on the bottom of the doors and thats it finished. Will use a brush on these to save a load of masking up.
                Seats etc going back in over the weekend. I will add more pics when done.
                Last edited by GBV8; 10 February 2012, 01:55.

Comment

• That does look ###### nice mate, Top job.
                  I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Cheers my man

Pics don't do it justice to be honest. Hopefully when the Recaro seats go back in the two will look smart together.

Comment

• Fandabbydozy!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 13 February 2012, 00:09.

Comment

• Couple more tweeks to the cooling side of things. I had a couple of coolant leaks from various hoses. First one was from the fan switch capillary which enters the coolant hose on the engine side (it's underneath so not visible).
                        CBS recommend some PTFE tape around the capillary for a better seal or alternatively buy & fit one of their brass unions and sender housings. So that's what I did.

Before.

After.

Next I replaced the heater hoses for silicone jobbies as this was the site for another leak. They usually seal more easily and look a bit better too.

Also, Vince had left me the option to reinstate my rear heater if I wanted and as everything was in good condition including the pair of small metal pipes I thought why not. I've always used it in the past anyway.
                        Just a couple of tee pieces needed (19mm to 8mm) from CBS plus silicone hoses and it was back in business.
                        Nice and warm too (after I got rid of the f**king airlock ).

Before.

After.

Also added some hose end fittings to tidy up the fuel & breather lines.

Comment

• Good work Gary, hard to imagine you can improve on Vinces
                          work, looks like you've managed it.
                          Still on a mission.

Comment

• Gary that is one lovely toy you are pulling together.
                            Brian

Comment

• That looks amazing, the more I see these pics the more I want one.
                              I realise there are a lot of factors to consider but say you had all the equipment to do the conversion, how quickly could it be done?
                              The reason I ask is that at present I can't afford to take it to Wales for the vip treatment but am keen to try it myself and the surf is my only car so need some idea of how long it would be off the road. I have access to a neighbours garage with pit engine hoist etc.

Cheers
                              Paul

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazcam View Post
                                Good work Gary, hard to imagine you can improve on Vinces
                                work, looks like you've managed it.
                                Cheers Barry.
                                You know yourself mate, Vince is the man when it comes to these conversions so I like to think of these tweeks as post build add-ons.
                                I remember Vince saying that these conversions don't simply end when he has it ready for collection and that the owner has to accept there will be tweeks needed and some hurdles to overcome when you get it home. It's all part of the fun really.
                                Most of my wee 'problems' are things that have surfaced once a few hundred miles had been racked up but I love tinkering about with it anyway. Luckily it's not my main wheels so I can take my time over things.

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                                Gary that is one lovely toy you are pulling together.
                                Thanks Brian! I finished the seats today (original Recaros) and to date this has given me the most satisfaction with a job done. They have came up like brand new. I'm planning to do a write up as I took about 50 photos but I'll stick up some pics when I fit them back in tomorrow. My hands are fookin raw with the all the scrubbing & fiddling about with upholstery clips etc

Originally posted by PM0077 View Post
                                That looks amazing, the more I see these pics the more I want one.
                                I realise there are a lot of factors to consider but say you had all the equipment to do the conversion, how quickly could it be done?
                                The reason I ask is that at present I can't afford to take it to Wales for the vip treatment but am keen to try it myself and the surf is my only car so need some idea of how long it would be off the road. I have access to a neighbours garage with pit engine hoist etc.

Cheers
                                Paul
                                That's definitely a question for Vince Paul. If I was trying to do this in my own time I can safely say that the truck would never be on the road again
                                When I left the truck down to Vince last year in May I didn't come back for it until 7 months later hehe.

Comment

Working...
                                X