@Vince (Bushwhacker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Vince,

Do you use the Lexus engine mounts (the rubber bit) if not have you got any I could buy off you, as I've just pulled one of mine apart taking the engine out to weld up the tacked on chassis mounts

Cheers

Mark.......
    Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

I don't use the Lexus mounts as they always rip apart when the engine is pulled out.
      I make up new mounts out of 6mm steel which sit on the Surf's original engine mounts.
      I cut plates that bolt to the block, then fit the V8 into the truck positioned exactly where I want it, then remove one front wheel at a time and make cardboard templates to joint the plates to the Surf's mounts. It's much easier if you remove the exhaust manifolds to do this. The gaskets are re-useable but I smear a bit of exhaust assembly paste to both sides of them before re-fitting the manifolds.

Comment

Shouldn't you be enjoying your holiday rather than being on here Vince? Hope the weather has been kind and you and the family are having a good break...

Comment

So, does that mean you have a bucket of them I'm kind of commited to the Lex ones now, so if you have any could I buy some off you?

Mark.....

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
            Shouldn't you be enjoying your holiday rather than being on here Vince? Hope the weather has been kind and you and the family are having a good break...
            Can't help myself being helpful.
            Weather's here, wish you were lovely.
            We're in St Florence just outside Tenby, been house hunting too, not bagged any yet though.

Originally posted by MrE View Post
            So, does that mean you have a bucket of them I'm kind of commited to the Lex ones now, so if you have any could I buy some off you?

Mark.....
            No Lex mounts here, sorry.

Comment

Evening vince.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                Evening vince.
                Evenin' Guv'nor.

Comment

Hi Vince,

Hope you had a good holiday I've got the engine mounted in the LJ, was a real battle, I had to move it 2" forward's to get it to fit though!

I have a couple of questions if you can help me out.

1, On the V8 sump there is a sensor fitted to the top, is this for oil level? and if so do you rig it up to a light?

2, The black wire for the rev counter from the igniter, what wire on the 2L-T engine drives the rev counter for this to join to?

3, The 2L-T has 2 sensors 1 each side, is the sensor between the oil filter & the bell housing with single spade connector the oil pressure switch? and the one on the other side with the green plug water temp?

The truck cab conversion is coming along nicely, will post up some pic's when its done

Mark......

Comment

Originally posted by MrE View Post
                    Hi Vince,

Hope you had a good holiday I've got the engine mounted in the LJ, was a real battle, I had to move it 2" forward's to get it to fit though!

I have a couple of questions if you can help me out.

1, On the V8 sump there is a sensor fitted to the top, is this for oil level? and if so do you rig it up to a light?

Yeah it's an oil level sensor, I don't bother connecting it up, I fit and oil pressure light instead.

2, The black wire for the rev counter from the igniter, what wire on the 2L-T engine drives the rev counter for this to join to?

In the 2.4 Surf, there's a 12 pin plug that gets left behind when the engine loom is pulled through the bulkhead, that went to the original ECU. There's a black wire there for the tacho, not sure if it's the same for the LJ.

3, The 2L-T has 2 sensors 1 each side, is the sensor between the oil filter & the bell housing with single spade connector the oil pressure switch?

Correct.
                    and the one on the other side with the green plug water temp? Not sure, do you mean the EFI sensor thats on the LT-E engine?
                    I connect the temp gauge to the yellow/green wire in the white plug that's pulled through with the V8's ECU plugs.

The truck cab conversion is coming along nicely, will post up some pic's when its done

Mark......
                    HTH.

Comment

Thanks for the info Vince,
                      Its an engine with a manual G'box and fuel pump, so no Efi, looks like I'll have to trace the wires from behind the dash and get the meter on the green plug to see where that goes.

Cheers muchly

Mark.....

PS, Did you find the Lexus alternator plug fits the Surf alternator? as its identical to the plug on the Cruiser alternator!
                      Last edited by MrE; 20 June 2011, 15:03.

Comment

Hi Vince,

Have got the Lexus V8 all up and running, but I'm having trouble with the idle! It starts on the button revs up to about 1800rpm then settles to a pulsating rev pattern, which sounds like a boy racer at the traffic lights, kind of rev's to 1800 for a 1 second count then drops back down to 800rpm for a split second then back up to 1800rpm. It responds well to the accelerator revving smoothly. I have the 20mm ID vacuum pipe that comes out of the front of the plenum chamber attached to the air intake between the MAF and Plenum, I did have this pipe attached between the MAF and air filter, but it didn't run well at all. If I pull the plug of the MAF it runs and ticks over fine, all though very rich! Is there anything else I can try to get it to tick over smoothly?

Mark....

Comment

Hey Mark,

If the engine revs OK then I would suspect the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) isn't working correctly.
                          It controls the idle speed on a cold engine then fully opens to let the throttle body take over once the thermostat opens and lets warm coolant flow through it.
                          If your is the early type, there should be three screws holding the black plastic part on which you can remove without dismantling the coolant hoses etc.
                          Have a look at the photo in post#7 here.....

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls40...e-working.html

The plunger part can get sooted up and not seal or open properly leading to idle issues. Also, the small bearings can become worn and stiff but I've never come across that problem so far.
                          I take them apart as in the photo and give them a good clean out, especially where the plunger tip contacts the hole in the front of the plenum, and make sure the bearings spin nice a free.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply your a star, will get IACV off and give it a clean.

Cheers muchly

Mark....

Comment

hey vince could you drop me a email about doing a conversion for me please just so i have an idea about £££ and time it takes

Ghost-rider-2010@hotmail.com

thanks
                              ***** Cheers Douggie *****

Comment

Hi Vince,
                                Finally got "skippy the outback truck" out of the lock up and drove it home loving that Lexus v8 noise and power I do have one question though, is all that clicking coming from the ECU normal? sounds like a couple of relays switching on and off?
                                Will put up some pic's and a vid Thursday.

Mark....

Comment

Working...
                                X