Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @Vince (Bushwhacker)

Hi Vince,

What do you use to clean your engines with (apart from hard graft an elbow grease) as they look like new
    Also could I pick your brains for some electrical stuff you did with the 1uzfe transplants, I will of course pay you some beer tokens for such knowledge. Could I have your e-mail so I can put my questions to you (and do the beer token thing via PP)

Cheers

Mark....
    Let taste be the enemy of art!

I have the engines on the bench to change the timing belts, idler bearings and water pumps. While they're stripped down, I wash all the oily muck off using paint thinners and a stiff brush, then spray the thinners on using one of those cheapie pump spray bottles to wash away the muck, then blow dry with compressed air and spray with aluminium paint and a touch-up spray gun.

E-mail: febsnowman@talktalk dot net
    Attached Files

Comment

Cheers Vince,

E-mail sent

Have been busy striping the dash out of the Lexus today, and now have a whole lot of wires dangling found ECU for the engine, so now I need to know what stays and what goes (plugs wires etc....) looks like another late night searching

Ordered this Kit yesterday http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-371500504.htm

Got it for £686 delivered

Mark.....

Comment

Originally posted by MrE View Post
        Cheers Vince,

E-mail sent

Have been busy striping the dash out of the Lexus today, and now have a whole lot of wires dangling found ECU for the engine, so now I need to know what stays and what goes (plugs wires etc....) looks like another late night searching

Ordered this Kit yesterday http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-371500504.htm

Got it for £686 delivered

Mark.....
        Replied!

Remove the ECU and store it away safe, they don't like being bumped about too much.
        There will be two relays bolted to the side of the ECU, and the wiring for these is part of the engine loom so don't chop them. The fourth plug on the ECU just comtrols the auto transmission, but you still need the plug and a couple of inches of wiring. (Fourth plug seperate from engine loom)
        Once you've uplugged the ECU, you can pull the loom through the bulkhead and lay it over the engine with some tape or similar over the plugs for protection.
        Save as much of the alternator wiring as you can to splice into the truck's charge circuit.
        There are a few earth straps on the V8, so make sure you disconnect them before trying to yank the engine out.

Comment

Cheers Vince, will get onto it tomorrow

Mark....

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Replied!

Remove the ECU and store it away safe, they don't like being bumped about too much.
            There will be two relays bolted to the side of the ECU, and the wiring for these is part of the engine loom so don't chop them. The fourth plug on the ECU just comtrols the auto transmission, but you still need the plug and a couple of inches of wiring. (Fourth plug seperate from engine loom)
            Once you've uplugged the ECU, you can pull the loom through the bulkhead and lay it over the engine with some tape or similar over the plugs for protection.
            Save as much of the alternator wiring as you can to splice into the truck's charge circuit.
            There are a few earth straps on the V8, so make sure you disconnect them before trying to yank the engine out.
            Ok, removed ECU and pulled wires & plugs through hole, could not find the 2 relays though I've stripped out the heater/air con unit as well just in case they were hidden at the back, the only thing near the ECU was this:

and had a plug which was part of the dash board loom? There is a realay in the engine bay marked 'Main Engine' or could they be elswhere? Are they for controling the pumps or starter motor?

Mark.....
            Last edited by MrE; 30 April 2011, 16:36.

Comment

Dunno what that is, never seen a white one.

You can bin it anyway, all you need is the four ECU plugs and one of the grey multiplugs thats part of the engine loom, it has the starter crank wire and a couple of others that need 12v. There's a white multiplug with mainly green wires on it, thats for the dash gear position indicator, which you won't be needing.

p.s. ignore the red bullet connectors, it was like that when I pulled it through, must have been an immobiliser removed or summat.

Comment

Aha, that sounds good. All these ECU's, MAF's & EFI stuff is like the play station era, where I'm from the Buckaroo & Kerplunk era with low tension circuits, HT leads & twin carbs

Mark.....

Comment

Yeah I know what you mean, I've messed around with fuel injection in the past, but it was the mechanical type, none of this electronic Voo-doo malarky.

One thing I forgot to mention, is the wiring for the Lexus alternator runs under the engine from the driver's side to the pasenger side/battery and is clipped to the crossmember in a plastic conduit, make sure you unclip it before you try and lift the V8 out otherwise the car will be lifted at the same time!
                  Also, make sure you save the power steering pipework from the Lexus, especially the banjo fitting that screws into the V8's P/S pump, as you'll need it when you get a new hose made up to connect to your truck.

Comment

Cheers for the heads up, will start making a list with all these tips. Got to fit the a new Nitro Ring & Pinion in the front diff tomorrow so will have to wait untill Monday to do a bit more on the Lexus.

Mark....

Comment

Hi Vince,

Had a bit of a scare towing the Lexus to the workshop on a 'A' bar last Friday christ the LS400 must weigh nigh on 2 1/2 ton!!! it bent the 'A' bar so now its an 'L' bar and pulled a M16 bolt through some 40x80 box section!
                      Any hoo, I've started disconnecting the engine from the car ready for this weekend and was wondering if you could send me that Diagram for the pumps. Do you bother with a swirl pot/surge tank? Also my wiring diag show 2 wires from ECU for the pumps, Di & FPC do I need both of them?

Cheers

Mark....
                      PS love the Igniter bracket, was wondering how I was going to fit that odd shapped bracket, didn't think of removing them and making one

Comment

Hi Vince,

Had a bit of a scare towing the Lexus to the workshop on a 'A' bar last Friday christ the LS400 must weigh nigh on 2 1/2 ton!!! it bent the 'A' bar so now its an 'L' bar and pulled a M16 bolt through some 40x80 box section!
                        Any hoo, I've started disconnecting the engine from the car ready for this weekend and was wondering if you could send me that Diagram for the pumps. Do you bother with a swirl pot/surge tank? Also my wiring diag show 2 wires from ECU for the pumps, Di & FPC do I need both of them?

Cheers

Mark....
                        PS love the Igniter bracket, was wondering how I was going to fit that odd shapped bracket, didn't think of removing them and making one

Oops sorry mate, totally forgot about it I'll do iot now and e-mail you later.

I wire up the fuel pump using one relay and a fuse, no need for any ECU input/output. It runs as long as there's oil pressure i.e. the engine is running, and stops when the engine is switched off or stalls.
                        No need for swirl pots or lift pumps, I just keep it simple.

The LS400 weighs roughly the same as a Surf by the way, did you release the footbrake before towing?

I always seperate the igniters and mount them in easy to get to places.
                        On this I mounted them high up because of the open bonnet vents.

Comment

Hi Vince,

Things are moving along if a little slowly, you must put in some silly hours to get these conversions done in the short time and to the standard that we all aspire to

Please could you help me with the following:

1, Standing at the front of the truck, looking at the engine, which is the fuel feed and which is the return, looks like the pipe on the left on the fuel rail is the return?

2, Will I need to run a sort of over ride to the fuel pump for when its being started? or will the oil light go out when cranking the engine over?

3, Still on pumps I bought the pump on your list, can it be mounted out side the tank?

4, Lastly, What do you do with the O2 sensors fitted to the exhausts can I remove any or all of them? do you need to do anything with the wiring?

PS love the remote start

Mark....

Comment

Hi Vince,

Things are moving along if a little slowly, you must put in some silly hours to get these conversions done in the short time and to the standard that we all aspire to

Please could you help me with the following:

1, Standing at the front of the truck, looking at the engine, which is the fuel feed and which is the return, looks like the pipe on the left on the fuel rail is the return?

The passenger side (with the V8 FOUR CAM 32 on the cover) is the fuel inlet side, driver's side is the fuel return side.
                            You can cut the hard lines near the top to make things easier for yourself, just use good quality fuel hose clips to clamp the rubber hoses on.

2, Will I need to run a sort of over ride to the fuel pump for when its being started? or will the oil light go out when cranking the engine over?

You just need a five pin relay to run the fuel pump, it pumps fuel as you crank the engine then the relay switches over to constant when the oilo pressure light goes out.

3, Still on pumps I bought the pump on your list, can it be mounted out side the tank?

No is the short answer.

4, Lastly, What do you do with the O2 sensors fitted to the exhausts can I remove any or all of them? do you need to do anything with the wiring?

The ECU needs to read the sensors in the manifolds but the secondary sensors in the CATs can be binned.

PS love the remote start

Mark....
                            Remote start is fun, I can start the engine while sitting in the house!

I'll sort that diagram out now, as I wanted to do this engine first so I could refine the wiring slightly.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Vince, will ditch the whole swirl pot idea and get on with mounting the pump in the tank

Mark........

Comment

Working...
                              X