Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on engine noise

Hi,

O.K, my motor is a '95 3.0 diesel auto. It runs 100%, very reliable and has done about 55000 miles. However sometimes when i switch the engine off there is a very untoward sound coming from under the bonnet. It is generaly a sharp knock followed by a short whine!? It is very unusual so if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it.
    Also the rear window mechanism is starting to struggle to extend/retract the window. Will more than likely strip the tail down and give it a good greasing so again any tips/ common snags will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys, Wilko.

Originally posted by rustybay1
    Hi,

O.K, my motor is a '95 3.0 diesel auto. It runs 100%, very reliable and has done about 55000 miles. However sometimes when i switch the engine off there is a very untoward sound coming from under the bonnet. It is generaly a sharp knock followed by a short whine!? It is very unusual so if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it.
    Also the rear window mechanism is starting to struggle to extend/retract the window. Will more than likely strip the tail down and give it a good greasing so again any tips/ common snags will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks guys, Wilko.

with the tail gate down and extending the window make sure its supported or it will just fall out.
    Get someone else to switch the engine off while you look/listen under the bonnet. See if you can pin point it a bit better, is it after short journeys, long journeys. Turning off from doing speed or slow round town stuff.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

noisy 3.0

Hi mate, had pretty much the same thing,
      turned out to be my air con pump check the air con is off before switching off engine.
      hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
      X