Please Help!!!!! Loud Rattle Under Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help!!!!! Loud Rattle Under Truck

hi everyone, i hope someone can help me with this rattle thats coming from under my truck..
    its a 90 4runner v6 automatic with a 4" lift. its hella weird when drive in 2wd i get this loud rattle and it sounds like its coming from somewhere in the front or the transfer case. when im driving and i drop it into 4wd hi the rattling almost goes away, then i put it back in 2wd and its loud again. it sounds kinda like a bearing i think.. any help!!! thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

ADD = Automatic Disconnecting Differential 2WD your drive shafts on the front wheels will still turn the CV joints maybe dry & need greasing this maybe the cause of the metalic chattering you can hear
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Also check the stub axle bushes that go though the hub, give the outer CV's a wiggle, they shouldn't move up and down.

and check the front diff pinion and front prop shaft
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

im thinking that it could be a bearing in the transfer case because when i put it in 4wd hi the noise goes away.. im lost

Comment

have the smae rattle in 2wd in my 3.0ltr '94. Comes from the front drive shafts moving left -right. Noise sounds like a loose drain-cover. Ours has been doing it for 2 yrs now with no change in level. Appears it hasn't got any worse.

If you find a cure (which I believe could be CV joint type thing and expensive!) please let me know cause its !!!!!! annouying!

Cheers
          Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Rattle and Hum.....

Hi There Folks.........

I also have this wonderful rattle which means we drive with the windows shut and the music up. In none technical terms I will explain mine and see if anyone can come up with a solution. If I take the silver cap of the center of the front drivers side wheel I expose a little bit of metal with teeth on it. It is held in by a washer and bolt. Both are tight. If I put my hand on the inner side of the wheel under the wheel arch I can move this meatl bar that has the teeth on ever so slightly. A few millimeters. This is what causes the racket on my surf. Sounds very none eventful but it makes a hell of a racket when you go over bumps. Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Diagrams may also help. Thanks very much.

And heres one for Mr Bush

Comment

Originally posted by Springbok
              Hi There Folks.........

I also have this wonderful rattle which means we drive with the windows shut and the music up. In none technical terms I will explain mine and see if anyone can come up with a solution. If I take the silver cap of the center of the front drivers side wheel I expose a little bit of metal with teeth on it. It is held in by a washer and bolt. Both are tight. If I put my hand on the inner side of the wheel under the wheel arch I can move this meatl bar that has the teeth on ever so slightly. A few millimeters. This is what causes the racket on my surf. Sounds very none eventful but it makes a hell of a racket when you go over bumps. Any help on fixing this would be appreciated. Diagrams may also help. Thanks very much.
              You all need to be checking this....

Comment

these are the parts....

Comment

Ahhh, that was good...........

Hi....

Thank you very much for that. Me and my mechanic friend were going to take the lot apart on Saturday and look for the problem. Now we just have to check out your diagrams and heh presto we should, God willing solve it. Just another quick question. Is this a Toyota dealer job to get these bushes? I don't see them on milners? Thanks again for the help.

Its good to Talk

Comment

TonyN,

Which manual did these images come from?

I must get me one of those...

andyL

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      TonyN,

Which manual did these images come from?

I must get me one of those...

andyL
                      They are from the Toyota service manual, its a large amount of money from Toyota, or get lucky and find one on Ebay like I did.

Comment

Cheers TonyN,

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Which models does it cover...?

andyL

Comment

I wish I had a service manual :P

Comment

Working...
                          X