Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask for quick help, due to overheating of the motor

Hello
    I start off like this, I had problems with the water temperature some time ago when I pulled a hanger, I got the answers here I wanted to test the viscose fan. I made and found this was defective. So new ordered and installed. However, since the no ride with a trailer had done more (my mistake it times to test, but had a lot of work). Now we went on vacation, with a caravan and came not far as the engine gets hot. In a Toyota workshop, the thermostat was removed and detected, this is defective, unfortunately the new one has not been there, so they have shut it down (left out). We return to the highway, on the first mountain the engine has become hot again, back into the garage, the water pump, luckily I had my new one yet, (was with in the big package which I had ordered at Rought Trax; 1400 pounds of spare parts). This was built in, but then on the mountain again the same problem, engine hot. (without trailer the engine remains in normal range, on the mountain and at full throttle). So back again. Now I have quickly ordered and installed the cylinder head gasket at Rought Trax, all together cost 1500 euros, and then the test. With trailers the engine gets hot, just as I drive up a mountain, on a straight track it remains normal. Please give me tips on what else I can do. The purse is empty, the holiday is dirty and the car does not do its job.

Thank you and greetings
    Martin
    Red Monster, KZN130 3,0 Litre Diesel

Originally posted by Peebles05 View Post
    Hello
    I start off like this, I had problems with the water temperature some time ago when I pulled a hanger, I got the answers here I wanted to test the viscose fan. I made and found this was defective. So new ordered and installed. However, since the no ride with a trailer had done more (my mistake it times to test, but had a lot of work). Now we went on vacation, with a caravan and came not far as the engine gets hot. In a Toyota workshop, the thermostat was removed and detected, this is defective, unfortunately the new one has not been there, so they have shut it down (left out). We return to the highway, on the first mountain the engine has become hot again, back into the garage, the water pump, luckily I had my new one yet, (was with in the big package which I had ordered at Rought Trax; 1400 pounds of spare parts). This was built in, but then on the mountain again the same problem, engine hot. (without trailer the engine remains in normal range, on the mountain and at full throttle). So back again. Now I have quickly ordered and installed the cylinder head gasket at Rought Trax, all together cost 1500 euros, and then the test. With trailers the engine gets hot, just as I drive up a mountain, on a straight track it remains normal. Please give me tips on what else I can do. The purse is empty, the holiday is dirty and the car does not do its job.

Thank you and greetings
    Martin
    I had a friend with a similar problem, except when towing a caravan.

First check if your head/gasket is fine, your anti freeze mix is correct, the water pump and thermostat are also fine.

I would check the fuel pump resistors have not been played around with, increasing fuel etc can cause a hot engine especially under load.

Second thing, which my friend had to resort to was a new aluminium multi core radiator with a Kenlow electric fan. Ever since installation he has never had a problem since.

One other thing to check is if it is actually running hot, use a secondary temperature gauge. I have had problems in the past with false readings.
    Happy Surfing!

Comment

Is it an auto? If yes, have you got an external transmission oil cooler?

Nev.

Comment

Hi Nev,

Yes it is an Automatic, but has no external oil cooler.

@ Ne_Surf, HIE head gasket has now been replaced by the workshop.
        The water pump is new, the Visco fan is new, but the new thermostat is still missing.

Martin

Comment

Towing will heat up the transmission fluid more and this heat goes into radiator. Install an external cooler, between transmission fluid outlet and radiator. Install thermostat as it may cause engine to get hotter without it.

Nev.

Comment

Hi Nev,

Thanks for the info. I have already ordered the thermostat from Rought Trax, I also buy an external transmission oil cooler tomorrow. Let's see if it's all installed as it runs with the Hilux

Martin

Comment

Hi,

So today I bought a transmission oil cooler. Just like the other parts (thermostat, radiator lid) of RoughtTrax There are all assembled together. Have taken a narrow oblong cooler so as not to hang too far in front of the engine cooler. Now I am still considering whether I am in addition to the transmission oil cooler (in the middle of the engine cooler) an electric fan to remove the cooler the hot air. Or would that be an error because then the warm air from the cooler gets more to the visco clutch and this has to work more with.

Greeting
              Martin

Comment

Hello

Unfortunately, the post has my package must, therefore I still do not have the thermostat. But now I have seen that after a longer trip water in the cooler is missing. However, is under the battery where the compensation tank is sitting water. I emptied the tank in half and drove again, and lo and behold, the reservoir was full and in the cooler there was no water. Is this a sign of a defective radiator cover

Comment

Hate to say it, but it sounds more like the symptoms of a cylinder head that has gone.
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    Hate to say it, but it sounds more like the symptoms of a cylinder head that has gone.
                    I would agree with that
                    Happy Surfing!

Comment

Originally posted by Peebles05 View Post
                      Is this a sign of a defective radiator cover
                      If you are lucky it could just be that the radiator cap is not sealing properly. Check the cap, seal and where it seats on the radiator.

Nev.

Comment

Hello

The cylinder head (gaskets) have been changed fresh from the workshop. There is no water in the oil or oil in the water. Now a workshop master has also told me that the lid can be from the cooler, as the water is pushed out of the cooler into the derailing container and from there to the road. I'm going to wait for my package from Rought Trax.

Martin

Comment

Hi,

So, I want to give some feedback here.

I now have a new thermostat installed, the nine radiator cover is installed and everything is checked for leaks, as far as everything is good. Today I drove a good 100 km highway when I arrived, I checked once if everything is OK, unfortunately I had to find out with fright, the cooling water was pushed out at the overflow container. The battery holder is wet and under the tank is also all full of cooling water. I have to cool the engine so far that I could open the radiator lid and have seen the cooling water in the cooler was missing, almost 1 liter.

I also checked the oil. It is beautiful black and has a lubrication film between the fingers. There is also no water residue on the oil cover. Even when I look in the cooler, you can see that the water which is still in it is clean (no oil or the same).

The cylinder head gasket has been newly installed, including the water pump. What can this be, my cooler may be clogged, and the water may not push through like the water pump.

So slowly the ideas go out to me, just like the money, and I need the Hilux for work.

Thank you and greetings
                          Martin

Comment

When these engines crack the head, there is no coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant. It just causes combustion gasses to leak into the cooling system. If you are sure the radiator cap is ok, then it looks like a cracked head. You need to test for combustion gasses in the cooling system. Do you know someone with the proper tester?

Nev.

Comment

Hi Nev,

Thanks for the ugly reply, I was still hoping for a clogged cooler. Unfortunately I do not have a proper workshop here in Germany because of the test of the cooling water, can I somehow test it myself??!! For now a new head, all this is going to cost me too much. Have now been over 3000 euros within the last 2 months. And now there's a new head, that would be the 2000 euro with installation. As he goes on the scrap I think..... Because I'm not having fun so slowly.

Martin

Comment

Working...
                              X