3rd Gen kz-te, sudden engine shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen kz-te, sudden engine shut down

As per title, this has happened a couple of times in the past few weeks. Both times at low speed, sudden shutdown, no spluttering or anything, all lights come on the dash and you coast to a halt.
    It then struggles to restart for a while. Engine turns over nicely but sounds as if no fuel getting to the pump. If you leave it ten mins or so it starts again and will run normally again for days. No engine light warning coming on. I have tried to pull the codes but all looks normal, light just flashes intermittently.
    I have recently done a service, including new air filter and fuel filter. There is no misfiring, idles perfectly, no other sympoms.
    I have found a number of threads on here but nothing conclusive, mostly the ECU is blamed, or the fuel pump relay.I will maybe open up the ECU and see if the caps all look ok. Where is the fuel pump relay?
    Any ideas much appreciated, cheers.

could be a fuel pipe getting compressed
    or a vacume between engine and tank
    the old git

Comment

You can't always see if an ecu is failing. Best bet is to try another one, but as it takes days for your fault to reappear, it may not be viable to borrow one from a mate. Good luck on sorting it quickly.

Comment

Thanks chaps.

I will look into the fuelling and have a proper poke around at the weekend. The fact that the shut down is so sudden with no misfiring or loss of power made me think of an electrica/sensor/ecu type problem...Since it's intermittant and the car goes for days with no symptoms it's a real bugger to pin down.
        A quick search shows a lot of similar threads on other forums involving the kz te, however i can't find one that is closed one way or the other, saying whether the problem was solved or not.

Cheers
        Last edited by tashtego; 19 October 2016, 10:27.

Comment

A little update.

I have removed the ECU this morning and opened it up: it looks like two capacitors have leeched out some electrolytes onto the board, the dark spots can be seen in the pics, against the green background. We removed them and tested them and they showed lower then their rating. I understand that a 46 microfaraday rated cap should test at around 50 to 60 , so slightly higher than its rating. We cleaned the circuit board with thinners and then soldered in new capacitors from old tv boards ( They all tested above their rating). We couldn't find any with the same Voltage rating so went for higher Voltage rating, but maintained the same microfaraday rating as the original. Put it all back together and car started and drove no problem.
          Now I just have to drive and see if the sudden shut down resurfaces. It seems too easy a fix to be true...the caps were from an old tv, little bit of soldering...we'll see.

Pics attached.

Cheers
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tashtego; 22 October 2016, 18:11.

Comment

Working...
          X