Poor starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor starting

Hi I have recently installed a new engine in my surf , it has literally only done 5k miles !! Anyway the problem now is that it is very slow to start hot or cold - I'm wondering if the egr could cause this or if not does anyone have any other ideas? The engine was unused for about 3 years before i fitted it

Originally posted by anto.b View Post
    Hi I have recently installed a new engine in my surf , it has literally only done 5k miles !! Anyway the problem now is that it is very slow to start hot or cold - I'm wondering if the egr could cause this or if not does anyone have any other ideas? The engine was unused for about 3 years before i fitted it
    What condition are the batteries in? Has the timing been set correctly? Change the fuel filter? Glow plugs? ,

Two good starting points. If it has a dual battery set up it only take one duff cell to cause problems as the bad one pulls the good one down.
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

you say "new engine", that hasn't run for 3 years!!, question is "why?", check that you have power to the glow plugs, that's the most probable cause for "slow starting"

Comment

ps, you say in another post that you did a cambelt in 8 mins, is this on this engine? if so, check the settings again.

Comment

Slow starting

Slow starting as in the roll over is slow or the starting takes a long time. Slow roll over as stated in other replies could be faulty batteries or even the starter is on the way out and may need new brushes installed. If the motor is rolling over normally and the motor is not firing up then then check glow plug system. If the power is getting to the glow plugs and you suspect the glowplugs as faulty then change them. Do not buy an off brand I had problems starting in 10C weather and I had put in new off brand ( encon?) and the problem persisted . I finally deduced that they were also faulty and bought Bosch plugs and voila the truck starts awesome and it is now -20C outside and I do not plug it in.
          Brrrrrrr

Comment

Ok thank you everyone for your various inputs - an update, the batteries and starter are fine it spins over well, it just takes time to fire up. The timing is spot on and it pulls very well once running. There is a slightly strange noise which seems to be coming from behind the dash - it's not loud and sounds a bit like a speaker with feedback! Definitely most noticeable when gently accelerating from tick over and definitely not a slipping belt or boost leak - there's also a smell of diesel inside the car but i can't find any leaks ! ?

Comment

The 'new' engine came from a truck which belonged to a mate, he had a brand new engine fitted and within 5 k miles it got written off so i bought the wreck from the insurance company as spares for mine

Comment

could be sucking air into the fuel system have you checked the primer?
                SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Ok I agree it is likely to be getting air into the fuel system but can't see anything obvious - where is the primer? do you mean the one on the top of the fuel filter?

Comment

Ok I agree it is likely to be getting air into the fuel system but can't see anything obvious - where is the primer? do you mean the one on the top of the fuel filter?
                    Yes mate. When you take the fuel cap off do you get a release of air? Does the primer go hard when you pump it and is the fuel filter new and on tight?
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                      Yes mate. When you take the fuel cap off do you get a release of air? Does the primer go hard when you pump it and is the fuel filter new and on tight?
                      No release of air, the primer goes stiffer when pumped but not hard and the filter was a bit loose, I tightened it and the starting has improved but its still not quite right - getting there I think !

Comment

No release of air, the primer goes stiffer when pumped but not hard and the filter was a bit loose, I tightened it and the starting has improved but its still not quite right - getting there I think !
                        I think i would change the primer.
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Ok I have a spare one anyway so i'll swap it over and fit another new filter at the same time, thanks for your help!

Comment

your welcome lets not get too excited until it works.
                            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

update!

Sorry it's been so long - I've been busy but here's the latest: I fitted a new fuel filter and mount with the primer and it has made no difference! The engine cranks over faster than normal - if it was a petrol lump i would suspect the ignition timing was massively retarded?? I have rechecked the cam timing and it is perfect... running out of ideas here ! Weird thing is that once it's running it pulls very well with noticeably more power than the high mileage engine we replaced ??

Comment

Working...
                              X