Anyone ever cone filter it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever cone filter it?

Anyone ever do air intake mods on their surf? Would it give me any gains in power or fuel eco, or should I just buy a standard replacement?

got a K&n filter, and snorkel, not much difference.
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

In studies by independent bodies, no restriction difference between standard car filters and so call performance ones has ever been found.

The standard filter is more than capable of passing enough air to red line your engine and provide all the air it needs...an alternate filter (if it passed more air) is not going to change how much the engine needs one bit.

If you really must 'tune' look at the fuel and exhaust systems where some benefit might be attained.

I might have the reference document saved still, I'll look...I looked and can't find it...google it is.

Save your cash, give it a service.
      Last edited by andyverran; 22 April 2015, 00:57.

Comment

Japanese yota dealer wanted $300 for a new paper filter. This one was $18. Works great. Can hear the turbo.
        Attached Files

Comment

I wonder how much cold dense air that air filter gets to suck on?

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
            In studies by independent bodies, no restriction difference between standard car filters and so call performance ones has ever been found.

The standard filter is more than capable of passing enough air to red line your engine and provide all the air it needs...an alternate filter (if it passed more air) is not going to change how much the engine needs one bit.
            its often the filter housing thats the problem. i know of some that have fitted smaller air filters (which gives greater clearance between filter and housing) and got increase in power and boost comes on earlier.

Comment

It's on the non exhaust side of the bay. Working on a heat shield and considering a hood intake. Works just fine in sweltering Okinawa summers even without an intercooler. This is how many performance cold air intakes are mounted on performance cars/trucks. Just redneck engineered.

Comment

How many of those performance engineering engines are twenty year old diesel engines?
                it just seems that if you want to increase air to the engine then the source should at least be from a colder place.
                In fact why not fab up a box to stick it in and have that feed from a outside of the engine bay.
                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I'm with snokenore.

Taking out an OE cold air feed and putting in an aftermarket hot air feed is a good way to restrict your engines ability to produce power.

Its one of the first things people do to make the car a little bit less drivable.

Win win win.

Seriously, people put intercoolers on these things for a reason. The colder the better. best would be to mount a large cone filter inside the righthand wing with a very short pipe run to the left of the aircon pump but unless you relocate your battery its a no go.

The OE set up with that pipe over the whole engine is a bit daft imho. Its not like its a cold air feed anyway. I have a temp sensor in the filter housing and one after the turbo and intercooler.... Filter temps are always 7-10c higher than ambient and post turbo temps are about 7- 10c higher again.

In engine bay open filters on these engines are about as much use as a chocolate bicycle in my opinion. You would be sucking in very hot air (40c) and then passing it through a very hot turbo so you could be seeing preignition charge temps of over 60c if you dont have an intercooler.....ouch

Comment

Working...
                  X