No announcement yet.

Kzn130 auto gear change problem (1995)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kzn130 auto gear change problem (1995)

Hi there, been reading the past threads and I think that my issue may well be the ECU. Changes from 1 to 2nd but then when tries to change up to o/d just all power dies:-( then notice a clutchy sort of smell when I park her up. Only happened today so a bit sad:-( really just wanted some advice. Do I buy a secondhand one or get my one fixed? Ecu reads model 89661-3D100. Thanks for your time. Darren.:-)

Fluid ok?

Comment

Remove the multi plug from the gearbox and go for a drive you should be able to get all gears apart from D. This will eliminate an ecu problem.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Thanks for your replies, Oil levels are good and did you mean the long rectangular shaped multi plug that attaches to the changer arm on side of gearbox? Only tried this and truck wont even turn over? I'm probably just being stupid but what multiplug and where is it

Comment

Originally posted by Jameswallace View Post
          Fluid ok?
          Just to reinforce the above ... what colour is the fluid and what's the level like?
          Does it smell burnt?

Comment

There is a black 3 wire plug on the passenger side of the gearbox, going into the sump area from above.

Shifting on the stick you should get L, 2 and O/D, this will prove the gearbox is mechanically fine. (You won't get D with the gearbox unplugged, this is electronically selected.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Ok that's great, I will give it a try!! Thank you so much. I have just checked the oil again and it's a yellow dark orange colour? I Check it regularly and it's always been this colour, so I've never been concerned. Hope that makes sense. :-) thanks Darren.

Comment

It should be red like weak ribena

Comment

Yeah point taken mate!! I'll give it a change anyhow. Better be safe than sorry:-) thanks Darren.

Comment

Hi i had a ecu problem with mine worked in all gears but overdrive would not kick in.I got a fresh ecu and that cured it .however there was no burning smell or any kind of nasty noises .
                    4x4s get you where others fear to tread

Comment

Originally posted by CALTURBO View Post
                      Hi there, been reading the past threads and I think that my issue may well be the ECU. Changes from 1 to 2nd but then when tries to change up to o/d just all power dies:-( then notice a clutchy sort of smell when I park her up. Only happened today so a bit sad:-( really just wanted some advice. Do I buy a secondhand one or get my one fixed? Ecu reads model 89661-3D100. Thanks for your time. Darren.:-)
                      if its ecu you can get a second hand tried and tested one cheaper than repairing yours
                      4x4s get you where others fear to tread

Comment

If you plan to change it, buy 20 litres

Drop the oil twice (should get about 5 L out) and put in same quantity as you got out.
                        Then the third time i took the pan off the gearbox, cleaned it out (even after two changes it was extremely mucky) and cleaned the filter

It is as clean as the stuff in the can now

I still plan to do one more change next time i do the oil
                        Last edited by Jameswallace; 25 January 2015, 16:57.

Comment

Thank you all so much for your replies. After doing a bit of research I've decided to have the electroylic capacitors changed in my ECU. Apparently the general rule is that most capacitors have an average lifespan of around 10 years so as my ecu looks like the original one it's done pretty good. I've managed to buy them all from Maplins, total cost £5.69 and and I've found a very competent electronics engineer to reinstall all 9 capacitors at a cost of £30. Fingers crossed this is my fix and I'll keep you posted. I've attached a photo to show all the caps being replaced in my Ecu. Thanks again for all your help
                          Attached Files

Comment

Interested to hear if this sorts your problem out

My truck occasionally jumps out of over drive but i switch it off then back on and 99.9% of time is fine!

Ps id still flush the oil like i did

Comment

Yeah, think I'll do the oil change after I've put the Ecu back in. Fella recons it'll be done tomorrow so I'll let you know

Comment

Working...
                              X