No announcement yet.

Beginner Surf woes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just did a round trip to london on the motorway... sat at 80mph the whole way there on 33's and the temp gauge didn't budge a bit.. in fact it sat happily below half way... its much cooler than my stock one. glow plugs have been changed but it's still smoking worse than my grandpa at 90 on start up! though its booked back in for tomorrow to look at fuel pump timings next...

hmmm next up i'm thinking lokka (formerly aussie lockers in the rear to start with )

Comment

Originally posted by Lostscot View Post

having said that its now making a grinding sound in reverse! the garage had refilled the atx up after the rad swap and i'm totally hoping its not this! fluid level seems fine.. but the sound seems to come from around where the prop shaft joins the box... but it's only in reverse so i'm a bit confused. sounds a bit like metal scraping but for maybe only 1/2 a rotation of the shaft before it stops then starts again.
      You need new propshaft U/Js. May as well renew both ends as the shaft has to come off anyway.

just did a round trip to london on the motorway... sat at 80mph the whole way there on 33's and the temp gauge didn't budge a bit.. in fact it sat happily below half way... its much cooler than my stock one. glow plugs have been changed but it's still smoking worse than my grandpa at 90 on start up! though its booked back in for tomorrow to look at fuel pump timings next...

Can't see what the garage are going to do to be honest, you say the truck sat at 80mph no problem and the temp gauge needle sat still.
      What colour is the smoke? White? Grey? Black?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        You need new propshaft U/Js. May as well renew both ends as the shaft has to come off anyway.

Can't see what the garage are going to do to be honest, you say the truck sat at 80mph no problem and the temp gauge needle sat still.
        What colour is the smoke? White? Grey? Black?
        actually should have said that's partially dealt with too.. so my apologies.. it was the diff.. fully of milky, frothy oil. kind of assume it got water in it from my escapades? I have put a diff breather on my to do list.. but am unsure what kind of pipe would be tough enough to use.. almost thinking maybe a braided fuel pipe running up the axle somehow? will have to find more info on this.

It missfires when left overnight.. i think it could well be pure diesel being pumped out as smoke and maybe the pump wasn't put back properly at tdc.. when it had the head change... some have said it has a base setting on here and through my looking... i can't really think what else it could be. it smells super rich. thanks and sorry for my lack of clarity!

Comment

Not too difficult to whip thr cambelt cover off and align the engine at tdc and check if the pump is inline or not

You havent got an air leak have you..? Air in the fuel willo cause rough running and smoke

Comment

It missfires when left overnight.. i think it could well be pure diesel being pumped out as smoke and maybe the pump wasn't put back properly at tdc.. when it had the head change...
            If the pump timing was out the engine wouldn't rev very high let alone do 80mph!
            Could be dribbling injectors creating pools of diesel in the cylinder/s after switching the engine off.

Comment

Oh damn.. thought I was onto something after reading a few threads on here about it
              Will check for leaks as anything is possible.. but its only when it's cold really... I'll let the garage know about the enjectors too.. but would that cause a cold start misfire? This is all super helpful stuff though

Comment

Erm might be a stupid question but how long does your glow plug light stay on when you turn the key but before you crank the engine over..?

Comment

the light is on normally a second or 2 but the relay clicks afterbabout 10 seconds
                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

ok.. so I'm being told that the relay might be dead and the garage don't seem to think it's getting any power to it... I think they think the light should stay on longer too on the dash. I feel like its all a bit random really.. but hope it leads to somewhere.. I'm not sure what's left to try!

Comment

Just wait 10-15 seconds and you should hear the click for the passenger side inner wing.That way you'll know for sure if its the relay
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I can hear a click in the cab, though its is at the same time as the glow plug llight going off.. and not anything after. The garage have just rigged me up a push button for the glow plugs to switch on and off... so waiting for it to cool enough to see if it works!

Comment

Working...
                        X