Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Surf woes.

Hey guys,

I've never owned a 4x4 before but always loved off roaders since I was about 12yrs old when I lived in Australia for 5yrs. You know I bought the magazines, drew pictures, took photos, built the models, drove friends cars... but for some reason had never owned one...

So 20yrs later I've Just bought a 1993 auto surf 3lt with a bit of a lift kit and jack
    ... only I've had it 2 months now and after the 1st week the head gasket looked like it was shot.. my local garage popped the head off to find it cracked in about 5 places...

Skip forward a month and the head has been replaced for an AMC version, new water pump, cam belt, thermostat... It ran fine for 3 weeks but it's now overheating again! It's fine around town but at anything over 40mph it starts to cook... I went offloading at box head (surrey) with a group and on the way back it 1st started showing signs again.

The garage are now advising to change the radiator (it has no visible leaks and has only lost coolant once on the drive back after the offroading). No bubbling in the radiator this time and no gunk in the oil...

Thing is it's totally fine around town.. in traffic it will idle all day long at just below the 1/2 way mark.. I wondered if it could be gearbox related? heat soak into the radiator / engine coolant from the auto box cooler?

btw not a huge difference in temps between top and bottom radiator hose and normal temp (thinking thermostat)

I see this is a running theme with surfs after looking at a lot of previous posts

Some light on the subject would be great

I'd check the rad isn't blocked with mud as this will affect cooling and also that the viscous fan is working correctly.

The fans can require new oil so that it works correctly as the engine heats up, if you do a search for viscous fan it should bring up some threads on the subject

Comment

Are the radiator fins clean? Especially at thr bottom where mud collects.

Is the viscous engine fan working properly? i.e it should spin freely on a cold engine and 'lock up' when the engine is hot.

Does the temp gauge fluctuate?

Welcome on board by the way, there's several members from your neck of the woods on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
        I'd check the rad isn't blocked with mud as this will affect cooling and also that the viscous fan is working correctly.

The fans can require new oil so that it works correctly as the engine heats up, if you do a search for viscous fan it should bring up some threads on the subject
        It's loose when cold and is stiff when hot...erm... so assuming it's working correctly.

As far as mud goes that was my 1st thought while driving back so i pulled into one of those hand car washes and made the poor sods clean it. Also jet washed it since and it's as clean as possible... the front is free from mud but the engine side at the bottom is still a wee bit dirty as the pressure washer couldn't get to it... having said that it's not a huge amount.. and I doubt enough to overheat it as air passes through the front...

My local garage also cleaned the rad out both when they installed the head and last week when it happened again...

Just ordered the beefed up version of the rad from roughtrax but i'm not that convinced it's a rad problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Does the temp gauge fluctuate?

Welcome on board by the way, there's several members from your neck of the woods on here.
          Erm it moves slowly so I don't think so... it gets to temp and sits at 1/2 round town.. then creeps to the red over 40mph...

And thanks... been lurking for a few months here

Comment

im just the other side of the M4,in chippenham. welcome,also.
            im sure our resident guru's and geniuses will be able to help you.

Comment

I take it the garage has checked there own work (sniff text on the coolant) and are certain it's not head related?

Comment

Thanks guys, just had the radiator replaced today so fingers crossed. Also just discovered the "smoky start" thread... prompted by an angry lady in her pink bath robe this morning shouting at me about all the smoke and pollution! Pretty much smoked the street out... a result of the new head.. so waiting on the mechanics review of that. Reading a lot about fuel pump timing but I'm guessing that is a 2.4 issue not a 3ltr problem as the pump is electrical right?

Comment

there is a mechanical base setting for the pump...2.4 and 3.0 are very similar.

Comment

The cooling systems on these Surf's is a bit marginal I think and any kind of blockage or mud on the rad will cause trouble.
                    If the air cant get through the rad it will get hot.
                    Both coolent pipes the same temp? Mmm could the stat be stuck shut?
                    I would get it back to the garage quick before you bugger a new AMC head!
                    Get them to swap the stat (I use genuine Toyota) and do a sniff test on the cooling system.
                    Rob

Comment

I've got this mounted now:
                      http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=164&vid=2386
                      and should be getting it back tonight with a bit of luck.. shame I've not got a drive atm or I'd have swapped it myself.

Hoping that will be the last of my cooling issues for a while that's for sure. Though pretty tempted to stick a auto box cooler pre radiator too for a bit of security. (like the idea of it being pre rad not post so it doesn't dump it's heat into the water cooling system too)

Smoky start up is next on the agenda before the angry woman shoots me... however I keep finding myself distracted by old posts on here about aussie lockers and lexus seats

Comment

You need a Lexus engine, they don't smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          You need a Lexus engine, they don't smoke.
                          ha don't tempt me last time i did an engine swap was a hybrid toyota build for my mk1 celica. Temp is fine now, fingers crossed though i have ordered a digital gauge and a sender on the top hose just to keep my eyes on it... can't afford another rebuild atm... the other half is thinking i'm saving to buy her a new fiat 500 ;(

Comment

Had same problem. Around town, fast flat motorway and normal driving all fine. Hit a hill and temps went way up. Thought it maybe because I'm fully loaded up. I had the oil done on the viscous fan, but it was failing and I didn't realise. Fitted a new Toyota viscous fan and I'm now climbing 3500 meter mountains and the temps are 85 degrees.. Before I would be pulling over regularly.
                            .... Which was nice.

Comment

Thanks guys, the new rad works a treat though... needle stays just under 1/2 even on the motorway so far...

having said that its now making a grinding sound in reverse! the garage had refilled the atx up after the rad swap and i'm totally hoping its not this! fluid level seems fine.. but the sound seems to come from around where the prop shaft joins the box... but it's only in reverse so i'm a bit confused. sounds a bit like metal scraping but for maybe only 1/2 a rotation of the shaft before it stops then starts again. had it jacked up and span the wheels/prop by hand and didnt hear a thing... a bit more light on the subject would rock

on the plus side though roughtrax copper rad seems sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X