HOT!!! I'm thinking airlock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOT!!! I'm thinking airlock?

EDIT: This has been a shitty radiator (only 1-year-old) and seals splitting. Soldering the splits until I buy a new one.

Hi all,

Today for the first time my temps rose past half way. At one point approaching the red!!!!

I'm thinking airlock due to the following symptoms. Please tell me I could be right

1: The turbo has been whistling louder than normal. I like the sound...but I need to trace it. Might be exhaust as that's making a different noise since getting her back on the road. But also a hose could be letting in air.

2: The expansion tank was full to the brim. Taking the rad cap off expelled a lot of pressure. This suggests an airlock/block.

I syringed the Toyota Red back into the radiator and topped it up (500ml). It was still as clear as new. I've left both the heaters on hot and left the cap off. I'll leave it overnight and check it in the morning.

I'm suspecting this is linked to the new turbo whistle?

Appreciate any thoughts. The last thing I need is any damage to the engine.

She cooled down whenever I coasted or reduced speed.

Appreciate your time in reading this
    Last edited by Sylux; 6 July 2014, 14:20.

Try a new rad cap.
    The rubber sealing ring can lose it's sealing ability with age, letting pressurised coolant straight into the expansion tank too soon.

Comment

It's only 12 months old...but it's defo one of those things I've ordered.

The radiator was new 12 months ago, also.

Does the extra turbo whistle not join any dots?

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
        It's only 12 months old...but it's defo one of those things I've ordered.

The radiator was new 12 months ago, also.

Does the extra turbo whistle not join any dots?
        What did you do to get the truck back on the road?
        Any leaks coming from the coolant pipes above the turbo? (Obviously you'll need to look with the engine running at up to temp as any coolant leaks will evaporate immediately.

Comment

It had been off the road for about 6 weeks as I was going to do the transplant and bought a run-about.

When I put it through its MOT (to go back on the road) it failed on brake pipes and had both front to backs, fronts and rears replaced.

After that I could hear the turbo whistle more. :/

Edit: Fecking spelling brakes as breaks! Deary me!
          Last edited by Sylux; 15 June 2014, 20:04.

Comment

Louder turbo noise (Whistling) is usually due to the exhaust, either larger bore or shorter in length.

Check for any exhaust leaks at the downpipe joint.

Comment

Will do

Seems to all tie in together. But what do I know!

It's possible that the garage broke something around the turbo area as they'd have been messing there.

Will have to inspect when I get time, tomorrow.

Comment

Took it for a spin, today.

Temps stuck to half way and didn't budge.

But there was serious pressure in the radiator some hours later. Probably normal pressure but the cap's been doing it's job.

But new one should arrive tomorrow or the next day. Just in case.

Couldn't see anything obvious around the turbo or exhaust...but I need to trace the cause of the whistle.

Air is definitely getting in somewhere. Plus there is dried coolant stains in a lot of places (must be off yesterday's pressure than dumped everything in the expansion tank).

Comment

Found the exhaust leak! How the hell this was missed on the MOT...I don't know. Maybe it has just broken through.

Could this cause the turbo sound? AND is it possible for this to cause any pressure in the cooling system?

Going to have to find a temporary fix until I can buy the flexi pipe, gaskets and bolts.

Comment

Also...are these from RT any different from normal HT steel bolts? http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=159&vid=2148

Comment

Just had to blow another £80...on exhaust bits

But Rough Trax are fantastic on delivery, the old one came off canny well (despite bad corrosion) and it should be a 10 minute job popping it back on.

Did a 100 mile round trip yesterday and there were no temp issues.

Would love to know what's going on. Hopefully it was that air-lock and that was caused by the exhaust :/

Comment

That'd do it, aye... Could have welded that one up maybe but new bits are always nice too.

Dunno how that could affect the cooling system though...?

Comment

Me neither

I'm just hoping it was causing some back pressure with the turbo and subsequently something with cooling of said turbo causing the pressure in the system.

The cooling issue all started at the same time as the turbo getting louder.

No issues the other day but the expansion tank has filled back up. I've released the pressure and will put the coolant back in the system. Hope I'm not forced into putting her back on ice

Comment

That fancy 'X' spec have a rear heater? Was the exhaust blowing out onto the coolant lines?

Like Bushwacker said I'd try a cap too, for sure...

Comment

Fitted a new cap on Tuesday ("old" one was only 12 months old, also). It's made no difference.

It has got rear heaters but I don't think that would account for any pressure rise.

I now know why the gear stick was getting warm, though

I refuse to accept this could be a head issue. It's got to be all connected :/

Exhaust arrives today. I'll see if that makes a difference to anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X