Temp guage rise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp guage rise

Today I towed a long caravan for a good 5 hours. I found that the temp gauge stayed in the normal just under half way position for most of the time.

When I went up a hill and the gearbox had to change down a gear (5th down to 4th??) The temp gauge started to rise, continuing until it had 1mm of blue left until it reached the red. I got to the top of the hill at this point so as soon as I was off the gas or the gearbox changed up again it settled back to its normal temp.

What I'm not sure about is whether it should be moving that far? would it just continue until steam was shooting out of the bonnet if it wasn't for the fact I had reached the peak of the hill?

I spent the rest of the time putting the heaters on full when I was approaching a hill to try and give me enough time to get up the hill.

Any suggestions as to what I should do to remedy this problem?

The truck is a 3.0 2nd gen and drives without fault all other times.

Thanks for any advice received!
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Fit a gearbox cooler.

When towing, the ATF gets very hot and the small gearbox cooler built into the bottom of the radiator can't cope and the heat is transfered to the engine coolant causing the temp gauge to rise.
    Fitting an extra cooler gets rid of the worst of the heat build up in the ATF before it goes through the main radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Fit a gearbox cooler.

When towing, the ATF gets very hot and the small gearbox cooler built into the bottom of the radiator can't cope and the heat is transfered to the engine coolant causing the temp gauge to rise.
      Fitting an extra cooler gets rid of the worst of the heat build up in the ATF before it goes through the main radiator.
      That's interesting, I didn't think it would be anything to do with the tranny.

I didn't get any transmission temp lights on?

Comment

Does your truck have a dayglo bash guard?
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          It does indeed. Bright green. Did you see me?!

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
            That's interesting, I didn't think it would be anything to do with the tranny.

I didn't get any transmission temp lights on?

The ATF needs to be near boiling for the light to come on, ask Stormforce!

Here you go, a 'how to'........

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/trannycooler.htm

Comment

The ATF needs to be near boiling for the light to come on, ask Stormforce!

Here you go, a 'how to'........

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/trannycooler.htm
              Cheers for that, so basically isolating the tranny cooling from the engine cooling?

Comment

Cheers for that, so basically isolating the tranny cooling from the engine cooling?

Nope, re-read post #2.

Comment

Nope, re-read post #2.
                  Aha, I see. Sorry, been a long day of driving!

Comment

I'm curious now, did you see me?!

Comment

We all have.......
                      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80492

Comment

Just sounded like he had spotted me on my 5 hour journey from up north to the south west. I was pretty easy to spot, I had a 25ft caravan chasing my surf! It was 1 and a half foot wider (EACH SIDE!) than the surf. Not a journey I'd like to do again in a hurry!

Comment

I'm curious now, did you see me?!
                          Yes
                          Now Vince has sorted your problem and an oil cooler is the way to go.

Eerily enough you actually followed me out of Illfracombe a fortnight or so ago, I turned left at the roundabout at the top of the hill.
                          And this afternoon I saw you pulling that caravan westward ho as I was travelling from Cornwall back to here.
                          Signwritten Vito unfortunately I don't think I could afford to run the Surf at 1000 miles or so a week.

I'm sure you had day glo hub caps too or maybe that was the Java....
                          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Yes
                            Now Vince has sorted your problem and an oil cooler is the way to go.

Eerily enough you actually followed me out of Illfracombe a fortnight or so ago, I turned left at the roundabout at the top of the hill.
                            And this afternoon I saw you pulling that caravan westward ho as I was travelling from Cornwall back to here.
                            Signwritten Vito unfortunately I don't think I could afford to run the Surf at 1000 miles or so a week.
                            Ah I see, Yeah I live in that neck of the woods. Where abouts are you from?

That caravan was flippin massive.

Comment

Penryn born and raised, moved from God's country, when work dried up, and went all modern and moved to Wiltshire(tempory like).
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X