Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shall I do with her?

Hi All

Schoolboy error - I hadn't checked the oil in 6 months and of course the first time you realise there is a problem is when it's too late. I've been told 'the bottom end has gone' - tapping from the engine and seems about 10% down on power/idle...and because I haven't the time or the expertise it would probably be best just to scrap her.

So I'm looking for suggestions? Sad really - she's a black '94 SSRX KZN130 with manual gearbox. In the last 6 months I've spent a fortune on her - new discs, pads, calipers, water pump, alternator, tyres, cam belt - everything has been done. Recaro interior in great condition , which I think goes for about £250 am I right?

Is to 'break' her on the drive way the most profitable exit strategy and if so, what do I do with the 'shell' which is left behind!?.... Any ideas? She's still taxed and MOT'd so I can probably still drive her to somewhere which would give me a fair price - any suggestions?....

Last edited by solidpro; 8 January 2013, 22:21.

If it would require for you to let a garage sort it I wouldnt bother to be honest.

The shell can be hiab away after its been stripped for parts, or get vince to v8 it
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

To pretty to scrap. Surly someone will come up with a cost effective fix.
      What's caused the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by solidpro View Post

Stunning!

Comment

Ran out of oil.

My excuse is that I've had a few problems recently, most recent being the seal around the water pump failed. So obviously I had temperature problems, and once I got this everything seemed to be okay. I did a few more trips after it was fixed and I saw the temperature gauge go up on the motorway and stopped and checked and all seemed okay. I assumed the new pump wasn't maybe as good at 'pumping' (naive). I was perhaps blindsided by all the water woes that I didn't think the oil had gone.

Anyway I was driving home the other night and suddenly I lost all power and pulled into a layby and she was having trouble turning over. It was only a mile or so from home and just limped back. When I got home I checked the oil and she was completely empty - took 5 litres.

So now she runs like a dog.

Having seen the ravenous hoards which decend on here when a good example gets stripped, I am considering it. A spoiler here, bonnet there, recaro interior there and I will be on my way to recouping *some* of the value.

Comment

That's too pretty a truck to turn over to the vultures that quickly, IMHO.

Comment

too pretty to break
              i had seen an engine for it round €400 with 80K kms
              so it shoudn't difficult to find some round your side
              and 3l its great
              the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Sorry, but that is not a "schoolboy error " That is sheer neglect.
                Сви можемо

Comment

Looks tidy enough to be worth an engine transplant or rebiuld.

Comment

Anyone know anyone who would buy her as is or would take on the job of rebuilding the engine or replacing?

Comment

too near after
                      and depends of how much ££££
                      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Well I expect her value (if running well) would still be £3k having recently visited a load of absolute dogs for more money and in worse condition, and the easily stripable parts (spoilers, carpets, exhaust, recaro interior, dash, steering wheel, lamps, wheels etc) is easily worth £1k, so with the idea that it would probably take £1k to put her right then I would offer her as is for £1250.

I think this colour with 3.0td + manual gearbox + and not a shitwagon is quite a rarity...

Comment

3k is a bit optimistic for a 2nd gen, perfect and shiny or otherwise.

As it stands, don't expect more than £800 for it.

Comment

Far too nice to break. Hang on a short while, I'm sure an engine transplant must be viable.

Comment

3k is a bit optimistic for a 2nd gen, perfect and shiny or otherwise.
                              Well I have to start somewhere and I'm not going to start low - although I do hugely respect your opinion as someone living and breathing these.

My prob is that I am a single dad with 2 kids and this car was my workhorse that got us all about. Without a real solution anytime in the near future I have had to go and buy another car anyway. I run my own business and when I'm not being dad, I'm doing that, so I don't really have the time to muck about with these things....

Comment

Working...
                              X