Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter problem that has even the garage confused

Hi there

Am hoping some VERY kind folk can help me out with a problem with my Surf 3.0 diesel (KZN185). I would be enormously grateful.

I've been having starting problems for about two weeks. Seemed to get worse as the weather got colder until it didn't start at all. You can start it with a battery charge from another car just fine. At it's worst it would barely turn over then just die.

Took it to our garage and just had a chat with them. They are not sure what the problem is:

1. battery is fine (not surprised as just under a year old)
    2. glow plugs are fine
    3. alternator should be discharging 14 volts, but doing 13.5 volts

Now they are wondering if it's the alternator that needs replacing? although they wonder if the less than perfect perfomance is due to the battery now being very flat battery?

They are going to charge the battery overnight and see if that makes a difference in the morning. If no difference then they suggest a replacement alternator - any ideas where I can get a recon one from if it comes to it???

Does all the above sound OK to you? Is there something that has been missed/should be considered?

THANK YOU

That's similar to what I had but not the same, I had 4 lights come up on the dash constantly just to let me know that the alternator was dying.
    Would start fine if the batteries were charged though.

Alternator wise, www.roughtrax4x4.com
    Still Can't believe I own a Hilux

Comment

Most of what your garage says confuses the hell out of me. Sounds like you need to go elsewhere or check it yourself. First up get the vehicle started even if you have to jump start it. Check voltage at battery with engine running and at about 2K RPM after it has been running a while and alternator has warmed up a little. If you get around 14V then the alternator is fine.

Next is to check voltage at battery after it has been for a good run and you think it should be charged. You do this by checking voltage at the battery terminals while cranking the engine. If voltage drops to below 10V then replace the battery.

Do check all terminals as well, to rule out any problems with them, such as corroded or dirty terminals or suspect wiring.

Nev

Comment

Thank you both very much for your useful input. The latest is that they took the battery off and charged it all night. This morning a test revealed there was a fault with the battery so they ordered a replacement under warrenty. New battery arrived this afternoon and the same thing happened i.e. car would'nt start! They checked the terminals as you have suggested NiftyNev and all AOK. So have been advised to order up an alternator - many thanks for the link - was quoted a LOT more for what I can get one from off that site!

Really appreciate your help.

Comment

Either you are not saying it right, Im not reading it right, or something is not right. If they put in a new ( fully charged) battery and the vehicle still didnt start, I dont see how it can be an alternator issue. The alternator is only there to provide electricity for charging and electrical consumption when its running. With a brand new charged battery and no alternator at all, the car should still start
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
            Either you are not saying it right, Im not reading it right, or something is not right. If they put in a new ( fully charged) battery and the vehicle still didnt start, I dont see how it can be an alternator issue. The alternator is only there to provide electricity for charging and electrical consumption when its running. With a brand new charged battery and no alternator at all, the car should still start
            Agreed. Maybe take a look at the starter contacts? Sounds like they are throwing parts at it.
            '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Originally posted by barney2007 View Post
              This morning a test revealed there was a fault with the battery so they ordered a replacement under warrenty. New battery arrived this afternoon and the same thing happened i.e. car would'nt start! They checked the terminals as you have suggested NiftyNev and all AOK. So have been advised to order up an alternator
              I know where the real problem is. Your garage is full of sh!t. If you had a new fully charged battery and it wouldn't start that has nothing to do with the alternator.

What exactly happened when the new battery was tried?

Nev

Comment

It’s your starter motor! Roughtrax do a service kit for the starter, or just take the car to someone who can recondition your starter.

I have the same problem with mine at the moment, going in on Saturday to get it sorted.

Comment

How did the garage establish that the heater plugs are fine? My guess would be they need replacing.

Comment

IMHO you should take it to another garage, they sound like a bunch of something smells "off"
                    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

egr remoal hilux wont start

fitted new turbo hilux wont start? there seems tob air blowing out the turbo instead of sucking in? anybody got the remedy? i removed EGR and blocked pipes why engine not taking in air?

Comment

Originally posted by frankx View Post
                        fitted new turbo hilux wont start? there seems tob air blowing out the turbo instead of sucking in? anybody got the remedy? i removed EGR and blocked pipes why engine not taking in air?
                        Would get more response if you started a new thread for YOUR problem amd write in English...not txt
                        What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

the only people who are able to say exactly wats wrong is the garage that checked it over.... let them replace anything they want but if it does not work ask them to put the original parts back on. you should only pay if they fix the problem. some cost for there time though

Comment

Originally posted by sketty View Post
                            the only people who are able to say exactly wats wrong is the garage that checked it over.... let them replace anything they want but if it does not work ask them to put the original parts back on. you should only pay if they fix the problem. some cost for there time though
                            You've got to be kidding.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by sketty View Post
                              some cost for there time though
                              If I was to swap a whole load of components on a computer in an attempt to sort out a problem and none of it cured the issue - i wouldn't be able to charge for it! Nor would I even think about doing so. More fool you, if you do stump up the long green for no result.

Comment

Working...
                              X