Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still having fuel problems

Hi all
    After locating and cleaning the sub filter on my KZ185 all seemed peachy. However the problem has returned.
    I may be barking up the wrong tree as a mate of mine who is a decent mechanic said it could be a faulty EGR or similar. I've been reading the threads on this forum all day trying to find some light on this.

The truck will start fine from cold and will rev freely for a few minutes, then will start to go flat @ 2000rpm and get worse untill it almost stops. Turn it off and it will run fine for a few minutes then it fades again. During the time it starts to fail, it produces black smoke.

I have disconnected the pipe off the EGR and blocked it as suggested, to no avail.
    Tomorrow I intend to try and extract an error code .

How do I do this on the KZ185? I assume its shorting two pins to get the code displayed on dash. Do I short pins on the diagnostic plug at the front of the engine?

Do we have a list of error codes, as the links I've followed are dead.

If anyone has a "try this first", I'm all ears!

Cheers all.

sounds like fuel. have you checked the filter on the TANK end of the pipe? (not sure if a surf has this, but a hilux pickup does) My mate checked his, and it was full of crap. after cleaning its fine. hes got a new one to fit from toyota, £11+vat to buy new.

also had an issue myself with the fuel pump failing when it got hot. fine from start, then died after 10 mins... replaced with a new pump from Toyota. sorted it.
    If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Shorted the two pins. Engine check flashes and so does O D off. I'm assuming the OD off is to do with the intermittent speedo fault I have.
      Any other ideas, as I'm stuck by a canal and cant go anywhere.

Comment

are the flashes constant, or some flashes then a gap?

Codes are in the sticky servicing thread in main tech section
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          are the flashes constant, or some flashes then a gap?

Codes are in the sticky servicing thread in main tech section
          Cheers Tony
          Flashing then a gap

Comment

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I'm counting and when to stop.

Heres a vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/deadloss000
            Last edited by Neil.a; 19 October 2011, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil.a View Post
              I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I'm counting and when to stop.

Heres a vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/deadloss000
              14, 24 and 35

Comment

Well, the diagnostic check is now all clear, but the fault prevails. It will run fine up to 1800 rpm for a minute, then its slows to a crawl. It will run all day if I dont take it above 1800rpm. If I do take it above to make it crawl, I can stop it, turn off the ignition, start it and it clears untill I take it to 1800 rpm again.

Can anyone tell me where the knock sensor is on this please?

I'm about to start self harming.

Comment

Spill valve.
                  Took mine out after a struggle. Turn the ignition on and a small spurt of fuel spits out, so I assume its working. If I turn the nozzle through 360 degrees, there is a tight spot where it sticks. After a little twisting, it seemed to free up a tad. Put it back in and vroom, back to full power. Short lived, after a mile we were back to square one. Take it out again, same operation, back in same again. Full power for a bit, then down to a crawl. I'm hoping Tony remembers to post me up a replacement, so I can try and nail this once and for all.

Can these come apart, or are they sealed?

Comment

Working...
                  X