Obvious question.. how reliable !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obvious question.. how reliable !

I have a 300tdi disco 1997. Its a good motor which starts first time and is cheap to fix etc. but I dont use the 7 seats anymore so the main reason would be to take rubbish and our VERY large dog ( 13st ) so I was considering selling the disco for aorund £2k and getting a older hilux surf for around £1k as I will do less than 5k miles a year.

Just to give you some history of why I'm asking this question. Before the disco I had a nissan patrol which was also great BUT boy did it cost a bomb (£1200) to fix when the turbo failed..

..so honestly what would an older surf be like..(presuming I hopefully find a good one ) in terms of reliability and maintenance

sorry for the dumb question but I dont know anyone who has one

No reliability issues and as long as its been well maintained and fitted a new head you'll be good to go, look in the surf for sale section on here, most are looked after and have the aforementioned issues sorted. Beware of ebay bargains, they'll cost you a lot more when you find the heads blown. H

Comment

Used hilux

Thanks for that..

What about auto vs manual. My disco is auto and I wish in the snow I had bought a manual.

..and does the 2.4 vs the 3.0 make a difference in terms of reliability etc..

Comment

Most surfs are autos, as for 2.4 & 3.0 your much better off with the 3.0 as it's the 2.4 that had the head problems.

I've had mine 4 years & clocked up 200,000km with no real issues apart from general wear & tear, still going strong with no oil burning, no coolant loss, no rattles, knocks or squeaks & it pulls my 1500kg caravan with ease.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Hilux

Thanks for that..

So it handles well in snow and ice ?

My disco is ok in snow but as it suffers from quite a bit of bodyroll its a bit unnerving around icy corners !

Id I was honest I guess I get around 25-30mpg from the disco.. whats the 3.0 like..in the real world

Comment

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post
            Thanks for that..

So it handles well in snow and ice ?

My disco is ok in snow but as it suffers from quite a bit of bodyroll its a bit unnerving around icy corners !

Id I was honest I guess I get around 25-30mpg from the disco.. whats the 3.0 like..in the real world
            When I first got mine it had cheap ditch finder road tyres on it & I never got stuck in any snow & drove through 3 foot drifts on purpose & never go stuck.

Body roll is not an issue as it actually drivers like a car & mpg is around 23/25.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
              Most surfs are autos, as for 2.4 & 3.0 your much better off with the 3.0 as it's the 2.4 that had the head problems.

I've had mine 4 years & clocked up 200,000km with no real issues apart from general wear & tear, still going strong with no oil burning, no coolant loss, no rattles, knocks or squeaks & it pulls my 1500kg caravan with ease.
              I agree you are better off with the 3.0, but both the 3.0 and the 2.4 get head problems. I've had one of each go, and from what I have seen on here there are plenty of other 3.0s that have gone. Having said that my 2.4 is a bit less underpowered now...

Whatever you buy make sure it has a new head is my advice (unless you want to buy my 3.0, which will be in the paid-up for sale section in the next week or so ).

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                I agree you are better off with the 3.0, but both the 3.0 and the 2.4 get head problems. I've had one of each go, and from what I have seen on here there are plenty of other 3.0s that have gone. Having said that my 2.4 is a bit less underpowered now...

Whatever you buy make sure it has a new head is my advice (unless you want to buy my 3.0, which will be in the paid-up for sale section in the next week or so ).
                Sorry, I did come across as a little bias towards the 3.0.

Comment

hilux

Thanks for the answers so far..

I was hoping for more like 30mpg so thats a shame.. is that around town or average ?

Thanks.. flounderbout, drop me a line with some pics, price to forumlogger@yahoo.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the answers so far..

I was hoping for more like 30mpg so thats a shame.. is that around town or average ?

Thanks.. flounderbout, drop me a line with some pics, price to forumlogger@yahoo.co.uk
                    25 Mpg is average, oh should mention that the 3rd gens have a centre diff which allows you to use 4wd permanently "if you wanted" where as the 2nd gen can only use 4wd on a wet/slippy surface other wise you get "transmission wind up" which is not nice.

Comment

If you are concerned about mpg, surfs will run on used veg oil. Mine does about 18mpg. I pay 10p per litre.

Insert smug smiley here

Comment

hilux

oh.. so under 20 round town ?

is there anything you can fit to improve the economy ?

Comment

Yep!!!! a decent set of sail's.
                          I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

If your wanting good fuel consumption & 4wd then maybe one of these would suit you better.

http://www.carenthusiast.co.uk/revie...anda+4x4/.html

Comment

hilux

Mmm hilux vs panda.. difficult choice

Another quick question.. is is possible to fit sliding windows in the back cab for the dog and maybe seats (dont laugh.. that was a serious question.. )

Comment

Working...
                              X