Obvious question.. how reliable !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilux

Sorry forgot to ask.. does the hilux have to be modified for veggie oil..and if so what sort of cost

Comment

This is hilarious, A Land Rover owner asking about reliability.
      My Mrs had a 97 Disco, We launched that and use the Surf for towing now.
      2 grand for a 97?
      3 Years ago We paid 800 for a 96 LR in good nick.
      The LR drives like a Bus, the Surf drives more like a car.
      I've had my Surf for over 3 years, and abused it. Everything still works, Only issue I had was the rad was leaking, I got it soldered up and had no further problems. A/C has never needed recharging, On the Disco it needed doing every year.
      The only rust on my Surf (95) is on the chrome rear quarter.
      I think there is no doubt that the Surfs as a rule are far more reliable than Land Rovers.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
        25 Mpg is average, oh should mention that the 3rd gens have a centre diff which allows you to use 4wd permanently "if you wanted" where as the 2nd gen can only use 4wd on a wet/slippy surface other wise you get "transmission wind up" which is not nice.
        Si not all 3rd gens have the centre diff mind.

I was getting about 31mpg in my old 1999 3rd gen on a run and towing 2.5t that went down to about 23mpg
        The 3rd gen is a good truck but the 2nd gens are a more manly looking truck
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post
          Sorry forgot to ask.. does the hilux have to be modified for veggie oil..and if so what sort of cost
          you can run wvo or svo ok in the surfs with no mods but most fit an inline fuel heater just to warm it up a bit

Comment

Mmm hilux vs panda.. difficult choice

Another quick question.. is is possible to fit sliding windows in the back cab for the dog and maybe seats (dont laugh.. that was a serious question.. )
            the tailgate window can be lowered like the door windows so the dog will be ok.As to sliding windows it will be alot of work involved

Comment

Panda every time for me.... Classic 4x4 of course.

No mods needed for veg oil if 50/50 with diesel.... Hang on hit the right section on the main page and use a couple of hours of your life and get to know all about alt fuel...
              .... Which was nice.

Comment

Hilux

Just to defend the landrovers a bit..I have had three ( series 3, range rover and disco 2 ) and maybe I am lucky but they have always been reliable and I have never had the usual chassis rot etc problems that others have had..

saying that I have always wanted a toyota which is why I have joined the group..

£800 for a 96' model..that does sound cheap. Looking at autotrader or even the sales sections on this forum there is nothing good for a surf really under £2k.. do you know better..

thanks

Comment

Give supersurf a shout as he may be able to do a good deal on a 2.4 and a 3.0 that he has.His contact details are in his parts for sale thread
                  He will probably sell them both for a good price so its well worth having a chat with him

Comment

I think if you take your time, a decent 3.0 can be had for sub 1500.
                    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

hilux

Met someone with a L200 today.. and he said... L200 was a better and more reliable beast .. dont shoot the messenger but what do people think ?

Comment

Met someone with a L200 today.. and he said... L200 was a better and more reliable beast .. dont shoot the messenger but what do people think ?
                        I think that is what you'd expect someone with an L200 to say. And I think you will find that people on a Hilux Surf Forum might disagree...

Comment

Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                          I think that is what you'd expect someone with an L200 to say. And I think you will find that people on a Hilux Surf Forum might disagree...
                          And most L200's are much newer and therefore more expensive to buy than even a 3rd Gen Surf. They also probably haven't done the mileage that Surfs have either. Will be interesting to see if the person you met thinks the same when his L200 is 15-20 years old.
                          Mike G

Comment

Working...
                          X