why me !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tony

this sounds like a way forward - where are the fuel sensor & spill valve filters and are they replaceable or is it a case of taking them off and cleanng with parrafin etc.

No engine check light at all even when chugging smoke

cheers

hawaii
    I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

The fuel temp sensor is on the side of the very rear part of the pump, the spill control valve is on the top of it, the filters are cleanable, just small wire gauze filters. You can do them with the pump in place but moving a few wires and hoses, but be careful not to lose the wavey shaped washer behind the fuel temp on when you take it out.

When each one is removed you can pump the primer and check fuel comes out the holes

Also, I'm assuming the timing belt marks have been checked, especially the bewteen the crank and fuel pump, which is driven internally with gears. Also the fuel filter changed and fuel lines back to the tank blown through?
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

tony

thanks for this - too late to have a go tonight but will have a go tomorrow (weather permitting).

Just so I'm really clear on this, the fuel temp sensor is just that, a sensor, with a connector going to it - do i just remove the connector and unbolt it, and I assume the filter is on the end

same with the spill control valve, although it's on the top of the pump, is it the same method of removal??

don't want to sound thick but relly want to sort this - the timing belt was changed with the fuel filter last October and no running issues until now and to be fair, unless she's under load she runs fine even now

fingers crossed for a success tomorrow

ta

hawaii

Comment

its ok

The fuel temp sensor has the filter behind it, and is easy to get out with a 22mm spanner, the spill control valve is a little trickier as its a big hex on the bottom, I altered a spanner to make it fit and its often really tight.

there are posts on i've doneon it in the past, I'll see if I can find then

Comment

pic of spanner to get SCV out.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...+valve+spanner

pics of the filter behind the temp sensor..

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...r+gauze+filter

Pump pic.....
            Attached Files

Comment

Tony

brill instructions, cheers.

Job on for tonight

cheers

hawaii

Comment

Tony - you are a god and I throw myself at your feet

update time

following Tony's instructions I removed first the spill valve (just managed to get a claw foot wrench on it) and the filter was completely blocked up with gunk.

cleaned it out in unleaded with a soft kitchen brush (don't tell the wife) then on to the fuel temp sensor - this was a lot easier to get out but the filter took some hooking out of the hole (praise be to MAC pick sets). Again, almost totally clogged. Cleaned this one as well so clear & shiny.

All back together by just after 5pm and took her for a blast - got a bit scared when she cranked but wouldn't catch but as soon as the pump re-filled off we went - BLIMEY !!!!!!! TALK ABOUT GET UP & GO !!!!!

She feels totally different, loads of power and no loss of power on gradient or any smoke at all - in fact I think she's performing better then she ever did and I've had her 6 years.

Total cost - nil

Tony, don't know how to thank you - I was prepared for a massive garage bill and then falling out with the truck, the love affair continues

very happy boy

thanks again Tony, I will be talking to both garages and pass on your advice for future possible customers (not me tho')

hawaii

Comment

Great news! Glad it worked out for you. You never replied to my post about fuel additive/lubricant, possibly could have prevented these troubles?
                  '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G - RIP

Comment

Supertony saves the day again....

Makes me think that these filters should be treated as routine maintenance every 100Kkms or so.

We should put these things in a 100,000km service:

The one contact on the + of the starter
                    Thermostat, rad cap, pipes and coolant
                    Clean fuel pump filters and replace tank breather

I will look at mine.....
                    Last edited by Ploddit; 10 June 2011, 07:50.

Comment

Ian

sorry for the omission - only ever run on diesel. When I change the fuel filter (every year or so) I refill it with ATF to clear out the injectors

Other than that, nothing else added - if it wern't for Tony I (and others) would be scratching our heads

hawaii

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaii View Post
                        Ian

sorry for the omission - only ever run on diesel. When I change the fuel filter (every year or so) I refill it with ATF to clear out the injectors

Other than that, nothing else added - if it wern't for Tony I (and others) would be scratching our heads

hawaii
                        And at the same time the garage was not able to rip you off!

Comment

Working...
                        X