Roughtrax Radiator Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughtrax Radiator Cap

I ordered a replacement rad cap for my 1996 3.0ltr from roughtrax, received it yesterday, it looks to be correct, however it is stamped 1.1 bar and not 0.9bar as per the original one, will the roughtrax cap be okay or have they sent the wrong type?

This has been mooted before, but I can't remember what the outcome was. Personally, I'd not use a cap that is clearly incorrect.

I'd always use a genuine Toyota one.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

A higher pressure cap would give a different boiling point to the coolant.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

I wasn't going to resurrect this thread but, i would like to know if anyone else has used the roughtrax rad cap and were there any problems, i think my cap wants changing as yesterday the expansion bottle was lower than it has ever been and the coolant was slightly low in the rad. I topped it up and upto now it all seems ok but time will tell
        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'd already ordered the Roughtrax cap when I read this thread. I then checked with Roughtrax whose position was 'this cap is designed for the 3rd gen surf, none of our customers have ever had problems, and I use it myself'. I suggested (rightly or wrongly) that it might only be when something goes wrong with the cooling system that the wrong spec cap might cause problems. The chap I spoke to didn't enter into a debate on this point but his attitude was extremely reasonable and he advised me to return it to them and I would get a refund. I ordered the genuine part (88Kpa) from my local Toyota dealer. It was a stock item and I picked it up from them same day (£21.35 inc VAT).

Comment

I have been using an HKS 1.1 item with the pressure release button on it with no problems...I had a similar set of coolant loss issues due to a broken standard car....I also had early signs of a cracked head but fixed it with Steel seal.....been good for 2 months now.....must fit a digi temp guage though....

Comment

i`ve got a roughtrax cap on my 3L gen2 and had no problems
              GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo-Child View Post
                I also had early signs of a cracked head but fixed it with Steel seal.....been good for 2 months now.....must fit a digi temp guage though....
                That's your truck on the 'Don't buy that one' list.

Comment

My truck is on the 'not for sale list' anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    That's your truck on the 'Don't buy that one' list.
                    Hahaha

Just bought a rough trax rad cap for my 2nd gen. Rated to 13psi/0.9bar

Comment

I fail to see whyI have been frowned at for using a cheap fix on my own car.....I have used Steel Seal for years....and have only once been dissapointed...(on a Saab 2.3 HOT due to the gasket having been a lot worse than the guy I bought it from had said. It has totally fixed my porous head issues and hasn't clogged up any other components.....the radiator and coolant are still flowing freely...all heaters are working correctly...the temp (on the standard guage) reaches just below halfway....the coolant has stopped 'disappearing and theres no steam whatsoever from the exhaust. If it fixes my car...whats wrong with it? Has anyone else used it and had a bad experience?? I would never evr use Radweld or any of the other solutions that contain chuks of repair material...but Steel Seal is completely fluid until it reacts with the Glycol in antifreeze and has been heated to 95 degrees and has been forced through a miniscule crack or porous section of (in this case) cylinder head!

C'mon then....who wants a go??? haha...

Comment

As you said in another post, you're a Surf newbie. In a few months, you'll understand many things you know little of just now. But trust me, none of the experienced guys on here would recommend using anything to seal a cracked head. It's merely delaying the inevitable; so therefore a waste of time.

There will be a few will come on and defend it though and if you're happy with it, then that's good.

The sealing stuff you've put in your cooling system isn't clever, it'll seal up anything, radiators, cracks, waterways, anything ... I'm not having a go, I'm telling it as it is. Your truck is on the 'dodgy' list and will stay there until you replace the damaged head.

Comment

pmsl....dodgy list.....it was a fix for £20 when I dint have £800 to do the job as it should be done...I'm not saying the quick fix is the right fix....but 2 months so far and counting....no doubt I'll be in here to let everyone know if and when it ever goes anyway. But as I say....I've used the stuff for years and never had any problems.

Comment

Sorry, not having a go. If I were to use it I would always have the thought that there is still a crack in the head. If I were you I would change the coolant so you don't seal anything else up. Anyway. Hope it holds up

Comment

I'm expecting it to get worse...but I caught it literally straight away....one day a cloud of steam and the next I did the temp repair. It carries on sealing any other cracks etc that may occur....yes it might lodge in a range of nooks and crannies...but wont block anything substantial...its intended to set in tiny fissures...not like the radweld ones which rely on what can only be described as lumps of debris. Well, I'm going to wait and see....gives me time to ready myself for the cost of a permanent repair instaed of the shock of having to do it when I dont have the money to do so......thats how so many of them get broken for spares or simply scrapped......people cant justify spending the thick end of £1200 on a car thats worth £2500 to £3000....

Comment

Working...
                              X