Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to check timing

Mechanical f***wit here.

I've taken the timing belt cover off and I understand that I need to align some marks.

From what I've read I need to turn the cam sprocket (the large 19mm nut in the middle right?) to line up some marks. (Engine is in neutral)

Which way do I turn it? Clockwise or anti? I'm thinking clockwise but wanted to check.

Pics I've seen from others seem to have the tippex marks lines up with the centre at the top but I guess that I just need to see if the marks all line up on this and the fuel pump ?

Theres two lots of marks on the teeth of the cam sprocket so I'm guessing that the tooth with the notch out of it lines up with the centre mark and the one a few teeth to the right lines up with the white mark made on the piece of metal at 1 o'clock

Hoping once I've turned it it will become clear.

Believe me, I know this must be similar to watching a one armed, lazy eyed child attempt to tie its shoe laces in a high wind.

Thanks.

http://www.dieseltoyz.com/timing%20belt%20how%20to.html

Comment

Ahem, thanks. Being retarded and posted that link me'self the other day. I'll get on it tomorrow AM.

Cheers

Comment

I'm just doing mine and I notice that our cars have a gear driven cam from the crank with only the injection pump being ran by the 'timing belt'.

So am I right in assuming with a timing belt failure its not an engine write off.

Comment

Not quiet, the gears drive the crank to pump, the cam belt (clue is in the name.. ) is driven off the pump to the cam.

You will still break valves if something breaks, as valves will hit pistons, like any 'interferance engine' regardless whether it's belt/chain or gears
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the precision, Toyota call it a 'timing belt'.

I just saw it didn't go from the Crank to Cam.

Comment

Toyota call it a 'timing belt'.
              Timing Belt, Cam Belt, it 'times' the 'cam' to make sure the valves open in the right place.

What ever you want to call it, its a wonderfully simple set up compared to the 2.4. The designers of the 3.0 need a hearty slap on the back.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

good diy this one
                GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

2mm allen key was perfect for blocking the tensioner.

Had a little clamp which was perfect for squeezing the tensioner.

Lower tensioner bolt thread is dead, non original bolt was there - butchers again. Its not a big deal as I want to flush the cooling system so rad removal to allow me the space to place a Time sert insert is OK.

More annoying one of the OE rear bashplate bolts has snapped even after days of penetrating oil that'll be fun then.

Comment

If you find any (and I mean any) play in the tensioner it should be replaced,
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Just had to put an insert in the lower mounting bolt.

All back together now, I like Toyota coolant but €8 a litre is insane....

Comment

Working...
                      X