No announcement yet.

Top end knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I`ve done the deed. Nothing in there sept what should be not even any sign of something being bashed around, no shim damage no nothin. Least i got my finger out eh.

Comment

Have you put it make together agian? I'd be tempted to run it quickly with the cover off. It'll probably make a mess, but would be good hear if it was louder or not with the lid off.

Try the Cam belt cover next, could be something worng with the idler or tensioner.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I`ve put the lid on, didn`t know if it would run with all the plumbing off it, i`m just in to warm my freezin hands, i`ll go take it off again and give it a run

Comment

Its done and i`m no better off except for knowing there`s nothing in that bit thats rattling round, thought i`d cracked it, the noise seemed to stop but it hasn`t. Cant get that clip back on the bottom end of the intake pipe tho, the pliers just dont open that wide and the pipe grips wont do it so i`m getting a whine from that but there`ll be something in work to sort that out. Now i`m imagining its something inside the cambelt case. Its never anything trivial
          Just to add to the potential misery. Was that a slight squeal from the engine accompanied by a loss of power, just for a fraction of a second or my imagination. Doesn`t seem as noisy now too
          Last edited by schrodingers-cat; 27 February 2011, 18:00.

Comment

Found it

After all the looming potential disaster`s i`ve found the problem and its nowhere near the top end, more like the middle front. Its the water pump falling apart
            I`ve gone from Oh sh1t something`s fell down the hole when i took the rocker box off and got minced up inside the engine with all the possible consequences of that to paying milners £88 inc p&p and vat, Slightly relieved
            Maybe it would be a good idea to have a weird noises section to post recordings in tho i`m sure it`ll get abused
            The holiday north of the border is back on woohoo

Comment

Noise

Are you sure it is not a sticking injector.
              I had one a while back but it was much louder and more consistent and speeded up when you revved the engine
              I had a swirl tank in those days and ran a whole can of Injector cleaner mixed with a litre of Dino and let it tickover for about an hour.
              Eventually the knocking stopped never to return..

I would wait until you are almost out of Dino, put a can of the cleaner in the tank and run until it is almost all gone, ( keep a gal of dino ready to put in tank before it runs right out so that you can get to the garage to fill up agai)

If it doesn't cure it at least you will have cleaned your injectors.
              john

Comment

I had a noise like that once and found it to be a snapped valve spring!! not on a surf,but might be worth a look?
                GRAVITY IS A MYTH THE EARTH SUCKS!!!

Comment

Twas the water pump,new one fitted and a cambelt kit too, been running great now for a couple of weeks

Comment

Working...
                  X