No announcement yet.

Key won't turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a thought could one of the tumblers inside the barrel be stuck? it might be worth a dousing with wd40 or similar to try and free it just an idea...
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've got to call bullshit on the blown brakelight stranding you, I went a week with my off side brakelight out end of January and had zero problems starting/driving my surf. Ok, I'll admit I shouldn't have left that long to replace but it never refused to start.

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
        Ok, I've just come back to this after thinking for a minute or two (ouch). If I'm out and say a brake light does go, would I be stranded? Should I be carrying spare bulbs and a socket set just incase?
        No, you wouldn't be stranded, that's what the red button is for. Press it and the gear stick will be released.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
          So your out in the back of beyond, your brakelight bulb blows and you aint got a spare so your fooked, Its one of those wind ups surely
          No, not a wind up; but you won't be stranded. Press the red button.

Comment

Originally posted by Osborne View Post
            I've got to call bullshit on the blown brakelight stranding you, I went a week with my off side brakelight out end of January and had zero problems starting/driving my surf. Ok, I'll admit I shouldn't have left that long to replace but it never refused to start.
            Who said the truck wouldn't start? Yoshie's problem is not electrical, there is nothing (that I know of) in the electrical system that will stop the key turning in the ignition barrel; unless something has become damaged!

The brake light thing stops the gear stick from being released from the Park position.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              If one (or both) of the brake light lamps has blown, the gearstick interlock will not release the stick when you put your foot on the brake pedal.

Some say it's a 'safety' feature; I think it's a fault
              Mine does (let me engage the stick), my Dad informed me I had a light out...
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Mine does (let me engage the stick), my Dad informed me I had a light out...
                As I said before, the interlock may be damaged or broken. Ordinarily, it will not release if there's a lamp blown.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  However this was not the fault with mine. Sill won't turn.
                  The only thing that 'may' be an issue is the wee pawl thing that locks the key in the ignition when the truck is in gear. Disconnect the batteries (or unplug the wee connector on the ignition barrel), that will release the pawl.

Comment

No, not a wind up; but you won't be stranded. Press the red button.
                    yep i get that but it all started with the key not turning if the bulb was blown,

Comment

As I said before, the interlock may be damaged or broken. Ordinarily, it will not release if there's a lamp blown.
                      I would guess the interlock on mine is not working as intended then. Is this somthing that can be ignored safely or would it be worth my while fixing it or having it fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by Osborne View Post
                        I would guess the interlock on mine is not working as intended then. Is this somthing that can be ignored safely or would it be worth my while fixing it or having it fixed?
                        Just ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                          yep i get that but it all started with the key not turning if the bulb was blown,
                          Yep, I have no idea how that conclusion was drawn.

Comment

Just ignore it.
                            The cheap fixes are always the best. Ta.

Comment

Yep, I have no idea how that conclusion was drawn.
                              I`m glad you said that, thought i was losing the plot for a minute

Comment

The only thing that 'may' be an issue is the wee pawl thing that locks the key in the ignition when the truck is in gear. Disconnect the batteries (or unplug the wee connector on the ignition barrel), that will release the pawl.
                                Will try that tomorrow mate.
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X