Key won't turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key won't turn

2nd gen 3.0ltr. Key was turning fine, truck has been sat for months and gets a wee run up to temp every couple of weeks.
    Went to do this the other week and the key would not turn, to any position.

Batteries have some power in them and I have tried shifting the selector.
    Is the a solenoid or similar I should be checking. Please also remember when answering my ineptitude with electrics.

Thanks in advance.
    Brian

Foot on brake pedal?
    Steering lock on?
    Blown stoplight bulb?
    Shift lever in 'P' or 'N' ?

Check those things first before we go deeper.

Comment

Try turning the steering wheel and try again. Could be your steering lock a bit too tight?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Foot on brake pedal?
        Steering lock on?
        Blown stoplight bulb?

Check those things first before we go deeper.
        Tried the rest guys thanks, however I totally forgot about the brake bulb one. Will check that today thanks.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Foot on brake pedal?
          Steering lock on?
          Blown stoplight bulb?
          I know it can't be taken out unless the truck is in Park or Neutral, but didn't think there was an interlock to inhibit turning the key in the barrel?
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
            2nd gen 3.0ltr. Key was turning fine, truck has been sat for months and gets a wee run up to temp every couple of weeks.
            Went to do this the other week and the key would not turn, to any position.
            Right key?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              I totally forgot about the brake bulb one.
              What's that all about then? I'm hoping to learn something here.

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                What's that all about then? I'm hoping to learn something here.
                If one (or both) of the brake light lamps has blown, the gearstick interlock will not release the stick when you put your foot on the brake pedal.

Some say it's a 'safety' feature; I think it's a fault

Comment

I didn't know that!
                  That should save me some head scratching in the future. A brake light is destined to blow at some point.

Ok, I've just come back to this after thinking for a minute or two (ouch). If I'm out and say a brake light does go, would I be stranded? Should I be carrying spare bulbs and a socket set just incase?
                  Last edited by GBV8; 19 February 2011, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                    I didn't know that!
                    That should save me some head scratching in the future. A brake light is destined to blow at some point.

Ok, I've just come back to this after thinking for a minute or two (ouch). If I'm out and say a brake light does go, would I be stranded? Should I be carrying spare bulbs and a socket set just incase?
                    Yes and yes.

However this was not the fault with mine. Sill won't turn.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      If one (or both) of the brake light lamps has blown, the gearstick interlock will not release the stick when you put your foot on the brake pedal.

Some say it's a 'safety' feature; I think it's a fault
                      So your out in the back of beyond, your brakelight bulb blows and you aint got a spare so your fooked, Its one of those wind ups surely

Comment

Originally posted by schrodingers-cat View Post
                        So your out in the back of beyond, your brakelight bulb blows and you aint got a spare so your fooked, Its one of those wind ups surely
                        not a wind up.I had a mate call round this week with the same thing.I went up to his place and changed the brake light bulbs as both had blown and hey presto he was on the road in 5 mins
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Got to be a way round that just in case ya put the spare in and that decides to blow besides carrying a box of them and even then sods law might kick in and you`ve got a box of dudds

Comment

Funny thing is the LEDs don't affect that, maybe cause it's a 3rd gen.

Have you tried the spare key? If you've got one that is.
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

My 2nd gen has led rear bulbs and that has been ok.... strange really
                              I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X