Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires up then cuts out...

Hi guys,

Not been around for a while due to various reasons, but back now!

I've got starting problems, which doesn't seem to have been covered on here before.

The engine fires up ok when the key is turned to the crank position, but as soon as is put back to normal 'run' position the engines cuts out dead.

If you keep the key in the crank position the engine will continue to run.

From this it would seem the 'stop solenoid' is functioning to a degree.

It would seem the fault is electrical, although I haven't ruled out the solenoid yet.

Looking at the 'Max Ellery' repair manual wiring diagram, it looks like the EFI relay controls the stop solenoid when the ignition is in the run position.

The same thing happened about 4 years ago, after a Surf Run to the Sun outing, but my truck magically healed itself overnight!

Any one had anythign similare, or got any good ides where I can start probing under the bonnet?
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death

Hi mate, long time. I remmeber that day in the car park on ther way to Lands End.

I'd check the ignition switch first, and any immobiliser.

Is there any fault codes?

The spill control valve must be working for it to start, but also check the TPS, it supplies signals to the ECU, which then tells the SCV what to do.

if you hold it running on the key does it rev and behaive properly, or just start and idle?

The spill control valve may get different signals to start the truck, than it does to run.

But its sounds like an ignition feed thing ATM, or the EFI relay you mentioned, check power to and from that to.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

If you hold the key in the crank position it runs ok, although the engine speeds up.

That last time it fixed itself, and fired up fine the following morning, but no such luck this time.

I had thought about the ignition switch, but I'll pull the fault codes off now.

Comment

Just pulled off the fault codes, 1 then 394.

Code 3 is no IGF signal to ECU.

Looking through a Toyota USA document, no IGF signal describes my engines's symptoms - it will fire up then stall.

So now need to trace IGF signal path....

Comment

My guess would be worn contacts in the ignition switch. Had this issue on a number of old Alfas over the years.
          Cheers,
          Mark

Comment

Update

It seems it is the ECD main relay. Not 100% sure as fault is intermittant. But everytime the engine cuts out, tapping the relay with an adjustable spanner seems to fix the fault.

I'll replace the relay, and hopefully that is that....

Comment

Hi Matt.Hows you and little Jonah.
              If you want to try another ignition barrel then let me know and i'll post one up.If it solves it then you can pay for it and if not then send it back again.
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Wasn't the relay

Wasn't the relay.

Put a new one in and the truck cut out on me doing 30 around town. Luckily I could pull over.

Rich, could I take you up on your offer? I've PM'd you my address.

Need to get something done ASAP as school run is a 12 mile round trip and is on bus and train at the moment!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                  Hi Matt.Hows you and little Jonah.
                  Not so little now Rich.... I bet !!
                  Hi Matt nice to hear ya still about n hope ya troubles are sorted pronto ..

Jess
                  "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

HI Jess,

Still about, trying to make more time in a busy schedual to get out 4x4 again!

Still haven't fixed the problem. Does anyone have a wiring diagram specifically for the ignition switch?

The manual and all the ones I can find on the net are very vauge to say the least!

I started tracing out my own, but if there is a fault with my ignition switch then it'ss never be right!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jonah View Post
                      HI Jess,

Still about, trying to make more time in a busy schedual to get out 4x4 again!

Still haven't fixed the problem. Does anyone have a wiring diagram specifically for the ignition switch?

The manual and all the ones I can find on the net are very vauge to say the least!

I started tracing out my own, but if there is a fault with my ignition switch then it'ss never be right!
                      Hi Matt long time buddy, sorry I can't help specifically, not sure if this any help tho
                      http://daemon4x4.org/portal/cadsearc...tion=downloads
                      "Click the downloads Index" Good Luck

Jess
                      "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
                      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                      X