Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent, stalling problem advice

hi i have a 3.0 td manual surf.
    it has recently got a serious problem with the idle control, and stalling.

basically it seems ok when you first start it up, but then drive it 5 mins down the road and it wants to stall every time you put the clutch in/pull up at junstions, it either just cuts out, or properly chugs trying to stay alive, power steering stops working, and then a puff of smoke comes out the exhaust.

if it does decide to stay alive, then the idle is very low, such as around 500rpm.

it started doing it intermittantly a while ago, but now it is getting much worse and stalling pretty much every time.

you can basically coax it into not stalling, by feathering the throttle to stabilise the idle when u come to a stand still.

one other thing i noticed is that when you are driving, the off-on throttle action is very jerky. so it is hard to come off the throttle and get back on it without it jolting.

(maybe tps- altho i disconnected it to see if it made a difference, and it stopped the throttle from working all together)

what on earth is it, as it really needs sorting asap.

thanks
    nick

I'm no expert but that sounds like a fuelling problem to me. Have you changed the fuel filter recently or perhaps the injectors are blocked?

Comment

Yes, worth taking a look at the fuel filter. I had similar issue once when I first started using veggie.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

first thing i did when it started doing it was change the fuel filter. i do have another in the workshop so i could fit that, but i dont think its the fuel filter.

its only on idle or returning to idle, when driving it seems fine, i just have to heel and toe to keep the revs up when i change gear or come to a junction.

Comment

Check ya fuel filler cap isn't pressurising (whooshing sound when the cap's released) also check breather filter on top the fuel tank...
          There is a small filter on the Injector Pump check this also
          Good Luck

Jess
          "Cos short cuts can cost more in the long run"
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

if it is pressurising what does that mean, im sure it does do that wooshing sometimes, but tbh most cars i have driven all do it??

will check the other items. so u think maybe it might be a blocked breather/inline filter.

Comment

worth checking the primer on the fuel filter housing is not drawing in air.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
              X