Oil level warning light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil level warning light

I have a problem with the oil level warning light illuminating on my 4 Runner after a couple of miles, then it goes out and stays out. It does this every time I use it from cold. There is plenty of oil in it and the oil pressure is good. I went to Toyota and ordered a replacement switch which fits to the side of the sump. The cost £1.80 as I thought was a bargain, but when I went to pick it up it was actually £180 + vat, so I left it there. Any body else had similar problem, it may not even be the switch that is faulty.
    Rob

Not a direct answer as I think your right with suspecting sender.

Surfs being toyota have one great trate, go and have a look round other toyota models in your local breakers. Very ofter Relays, senders etc will all be the same Denso part, some may have diff numbers but are often compatible - just use your common sence and a volt meter. I have done this twice now for stuff best one was the ECD relay which packed up (I took the cover off and held it shut with a rubber band to get home from Cornwall) Toyota wanted 38 quid (OK your sender is loads more but this is just a single throw relay that you'd use for anything just with a toyaota fitting) I got a higher amp rated one from a corolla for a quid.

Comment

£180 for oil pressure switch?... that can't be right?...
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Green shuttle
        I have a problem with the oil level warning light illuminating on my 4 Runner after a couple of miles, then it goes out and stays out. It does this every time I use it from cold. There is plenty of oil in it and the oil pressure is good. I went to Toyota and ordered a replacement switch which fits to the side of the sump. The cost £1.80 as I thought was a bargain, but when I went to pick it up it was actually £180 + vat, so I left it there. Any body else had similar problem, it may not even be the switch that is faulty.
        Rob
        Is it an Oil level or oil pressure light.

Also is it a V6 or a Diesel.

On the V6 you will probably find a similar item in the breakers for a similar age Camry or something like that with a V6.

Have you changed the oil recently. If it is an oil level light it might not like the oil being thick and it may go out because of the oil thinning down with heat but come on when cold after the oil circulates around the engine.

Just an outside chance but could be.

If it is the oil pressure warning and the gauge says it's OK then I'd just disconnect the thing, it ain't worth £180 to fix it. Just remember to look at the gauge occasionaly rather than relying on the light.

Cheers

Comment

on an old cavalier i had the oil light kept coming on... it was just a brittle loom doing it... wiggle a few connectors and it would go out... always worth a try!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
          X