bonnet release not working - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tillytops View Post
    I do try, been out today had to replace alternator belts at weekend and had one of my blond moments didnt tighten power steering belt up properly ooo i needed my spinich to turn off drive. So the choice was eat me greens or go out in the sleet.Guess who got wet
    You've done well to sort the truck yourself Sal.I don't know many gals that would do it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      And what I said in post 6. Maybe I should change my name to Banalbannach?

I know it was repeated but thought if put it in really simple terms, was abit worrying he mentioned taking dash out to look for cable.Sometimes even the most obvious and simple instructions can be misunderstood.
      Me........... NEVER

Comment

I have looked at the release lever: there is nothing odd about it - the cable is still connected to it and is not slack - so it is not obviously disconnected from the other end.

It seems to pull something and there is a soft noise as if something is moving at the other end ( or somewhere) but there is zero effect on the bonnet.

I have let the engine run for 20 mins and the temp gauge does not go above the midpoint. Does that indicate that the radiator is ok ?

And are there any other issues arising from being stood outside - not moved - for 4 months which really need looking at before it is safe to drive ?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan blane View Post
          I have looked at the release lever: there is nothing odd about it - the cable is still connected to it and is not slack - so it is not obviously disconnected from the other end.

It seems to pull something and there is a soft noise as if something is moving at the other end ( or somewhere) but there is zero effect on the bonnet. If you can hear something moving the cable may have stretched or the catch rusted up. Get someone to pull the release lever and hold it fully out whilst you give the bonnet a good pull upwards to see it that frees it

I have let the engine run for 20 mins and the temp gauge does not go above the midpoint. Does that indicate that the radiator is ok ? It might be, but that is really for you to decide if the risk is worth it. If you do decide to use the truck keep a close eye on the gauge as they don't tend to move until the engine has virtually overheated.

And are there any other issues arising from being stood outside - not moved - for 4 months which really need looking at before it is safe to drive ? Might be worth checking the brakes haven't seized up

Comment

If you're worried about leaks or overheating, be very careful about running anywhere without checking your coolant level. Especially if you have a 2.4, a single overheating can crack the head, and once you're on the road you can't always just stop instantly if it looks like it's getting warm. On top of that the engine temp gauge is extremely inaccurate - it really only tells you "still cold," "warm," or "too late, it's boiled."

That all said, if you've got anti-freeze in your coolant, and it's obviously not frozen now, it sounds like it's ok. If there was a leak, it would be piddling out when you run the engine, which it's presumably not. There's nothing else (other than window washer fluid) that could freeze under the bonnet.

Back to what all the others have said though, have you had someone lean on the bonnet, then you pull the release handle (while they're still leaning on it), then with the cable still pulled, get them to hit it a few times and then, with the cable STILL pulled, got them to try pulling it up? If the cable's attached and moving something, a good few hits in the right place at the right time might do the job.
            Andy
            http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

I apologise if this sounds unappreciative but it may be that you are assuming technical knowledge which I do not possess and have always sought to admit that I do no possess.

I love the Hilux Surf I own ( actually I own 2 but the other one is in France ) but I have zero idea of what goes on under the bonnet.

How can anyone 'pull up' the bonnet ? It is firmly stuck - as its normal position - within the surrounding metal.

There are no handles on it which one could 'pull up' .

The only way I can see to 'pull' it up would be to insert a crowbar or similar metal object between the front of the bonnet and its surounding metal ( about a centimetre or less of a gap).

I assume you are not expecting me to do that so how exactly does one

'pull up' the bonnet ?

Are there tools which a breakdown service engineer would have which would open the bonnet ?

Comment

This is hard work! Pull it up from the front edge of the bonnet. Using your fingers.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

unclip your bonnet release catch get hold of cable with some grips and pull it sounds like cable maybe slightly stretched. You dont need to be technically minded to get under bonnet.Obviously you are concerned about the coolant situation so might be worth trying a garage if they will come out(could be pricey) or if your a member of a breakdown service they might come out.
                  Me........... NEVER

Comment

He might have fingers like a row of sausages in a butchers window Andy.
                    You are assuming he has those 1cm thick dainty digits that allow for bonnet pulling.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      This is hard work! Pull it up from the front edge of the bonnet. Using your fingers.

sorry no offence intended jonathan it must be frustrating.
                      Me........... NEVER

Comment

Working...
                      X