bonnet release not working - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bonnet release not working - help

I have had the current Hilux Surf over two years with few probs ( then I don't do many miles).

Now, after four months parked off road it started first time so the cold has not done the battery in.

However, I cannot get the bonnet open to check radiator.

This is the first time I have had this problem.

The catch thing which you normally have to press in a bit at the front of the bonnet does not seem to be there at all - perhaps it only appears after the release mechanism below the dashboard has been pulled ?

Anyway, when I pull the release thing inside the car, there is a slight noise but the bonnet remains firmly closed.

Any suggestions as to how to open the bonnet please ?

Push the bonnet closed as someone pulls the release lever, then with the lever still pulled, let the bonnet go. Or check HERE
    Last edited by Albannach; 13 January 2010, 16:37.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

?

Sorry, I don't understand this.

How can I 'push the bonnet closed' ?

It is already very tightly closed. There is no slack in it.

Comment

There is slack in it. Try it, what's the worst that can happen?

Comment

Well i tried it anyway but nothing happened.

Whilst waiting for a solution I have another thought: my main worry is that the radiator may have sprung a leak.

If it has would this show up by the temp gauge heating up beyond the mid point ? And if so how long would I have to run the engine before expecting to see this?

Or put another way - if I run the engine for X minutes and the temp gauge stays at the midpoint is it safe then to drive ? And what number equals X in this context ?

Could anything apart from the radiator have sprung leaks owing to the recent cold ?

Comment

Originally posted by jonathan blane View Post
            Well i tried it anyway but nothing happened.
            The cable, inside lever or release mechanism is broken or the cable has come off then.

Comment

look under the release lever to see if the cable is still there. if it is my guess would be to do what Albannach said but pull it up as well as pushin it down

Comment

You could try gripping the outer cable under the dash, bending it around your hand as much as you can and pulling the entire cable. if the cable has snapped near the lever end it might open it. It won't do the cable any good though so try the other optins first. You could try banging the bonnet near the hinge as you pull the lever too, that has worked for me in the past with misaligned bonnets.

Comment

Sorry don't understand the idea of 'gripping the outer cable under the dash'.

Do you mean I would have to remove the dashboard ? That would be beyond me.

If I call out the breakdown people will they be able to remedy it ? How ?

And does anyone have an answer to my sidebar questions of whether I can diagnose the radiator as ok ( no leaks) by running the engine for however long and waiting to see if the temp gauge rises above the midpoint ? If so - how many minutes would constitute 'however long' ?

Comment

The lever you pull to release bonnet, the cable is attached to that its a case of pushing seat back and having a look at it. Use a torch not much light down there. If your bonnet was slammed shut last time it may just need a tug upwards by a friend while you pull lever.Or if it not closed properley push it down then try again.
                    ORcrowbar

(only joking)
                    Me........... NEVER

Comment

you wanna take notice of out Tillytops there cause she's managed to sort her truck out herself ain't ya Sal
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If your rad has sprung a leak then there would be very little water in your cooling system therefore your temp gauge would show hot quite quickly or not work at all if there was no water at all.

Also take note of what tillytops has said as the lever to release the bonnet have been known to break
                        I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                          take notice of out Tillytops there cause she's managed to sort her truck out herself ain't ya Sal
                          Originally posted by jotto View Post
                          Also take note of what tillytops has said as the lever to release the bonnet have been known to break
                          And what I said in post 6. Maybe I should change my name to Banalbannach?

Comment

I do try, been out today had to replace alternator belts at weekend and had one of my blond moments didnt tighten power steering belt up properly ooo i needed my spinich to turn off drive. So the choice was eat me greens or go out in the sleet.Guess who got wet
                            Me........... NEVER

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              And what I said in post 6. Maybe I should change my name to Banalbannach?

Sorry Andy i never saw your post.
                              note to self i must get eyes checked as long overdue

And take notice of Any aswell cause he is normally right
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X